Canadian Politics

23 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Wut?

Image result for deep horizon gif

Exactly. Where's the outrage from the American & world environmentalists? Is it because they're financed by American oil interests & keeping oil in the ground in Canada eliminates a major global competitor? Where's your outrage? But a pipeline spill? The anger... But I'm sure you'll fill your car or truck in the next week. Or be happy your home is warm when it's minus 30 in Winnipeg in the next month. All snug & cozy for Xmas. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Exactly. Where's the outrage from the American & world environmentalists? Is it because they're financed by American oil interests & keeping oil in the ground in Canada eliminates a major global competitor? 

Did you not turn on the tv or read a paper in 2010?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

8 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Did you not turn on the tv or read a paper in 2010?

What do you think I was talking about?  I see pipeline demonstrations all the time especially when it comes to Alberta oil but nothing from Greenpeace, The Rockefeller Foundation or any other environmental groups about spills in the Gulf. Millions of litres of oil that  spilled from the Event Horizon & once it was capped, nine years ago... never saw one demonstration in the Gulf by boat. Or in the media. Or in Texas. Nothing. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What do you think I was talking about?  I see pipeline demonstrations all the time especially when it comes to Alberta oil but nothing from Greenpeace, The Rockefeller Foundation or any other environmental groups about spills in the Gulf. Millions of litres of oil that  spilled from the Event Horizon & once it was capped, nine years ago... never saw one demonstration in the Gulf by boat. Or in the media. Or in Texas. Nothing. 

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNRFXLbc0swDJ_xm5gpJdT1Xd8jrAg:1572917668641&q=gulf+oil+protests+images&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiLw5n39tHlAhUbHjQIHVjyBhQQ7Al6BAgJECQ&biw=1349&bih=809

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1349&bih=809&tbm=nws&sxsrf=ACYBGNQPzrhzXeA7B3X8Buzzkp2_vpqGSg%3A1572917698506&ei=wtHAXb-5HvTY9APds4XYCg&q=gulf+oil+protests+&oq=gulf+oil+protests+&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1508.1508.0.1731.1.1.0.0.0.0.110.110.0j1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.r-_9X-1PH3o

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How did you miss that?

5 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

How did you miss that?

Oh I'm sure there were protests. The pictures showed it but it looked pretty muted. Like I said, the Big Environmental movement is funded by American interests & there's no way they'd protest to keep American oil in the ground like they want to do to Canadian oil & gas. So, pardon me if I'm skeptical about their motives. American oil & gas companies want Canada out of the picture so they can sell more of their products worldwide.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Oh I'm sure there were protests. The pictures showed it but it looked pretty muted. Like I said, the Big Environmental movement is funded by American interests & there's no way they'd protest to keep American oil in the ground like they want to do to Canadian oil & gas. So, pardon me if I'm skeptical about their motives. American oil & gas companies want Canada out of the picture so they can sell more of their products worldwide.

Even if you're right about this (which you are not), isn't this how your beloved capitalism is supposed to work?  The strong will survive - dog eat dog - blah blah blah?

Edited by Wideleft

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The reaction you talk about above in the links were all 9 years ago. Where's the protests today? Drilling is still going on in the Gulf. Why haven't left wing politicians & environmental groups not shut down these rigs after such an horrendous spill? Tankers still ply the waters with no sign of ever stopping. Texas, Alabama & Louisiana still take in billions of revenue from offshore drilling. Thousands of jobs depend on the oil industry in the Gulf. Why haven't the politicians & environmental groups shut down this industry like they have up here? Cognitive dissonance? Is that the arrogant new catch phrase of the left  for anyone who has a different POV?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The reaction you talk about above in the links were all 9 years ago. Where's the protests today? Drilling is still going on in the Gulf. Why haven't left wing politicians & environmental groups not shut down these rigs after such an horrendous spill? Tankers still ply the waters with no sign of ever stopping. Texas, Alabama & Louisiana still take in billions of revenue from offshore drilling. Thousands of jobs depend on the oil industry in the Gulf. Why haven't the politicians & environmental groups shut down this industry like they have up here? Cognitive dissonance? Is that the arrogant new catch phrase of the left  for anyone who has a different POV?

Yeah, nine years ago. When it happened. You know, what usually occurs immediately after an oil spill... It's in the news.

Countless organizations continue to protest oil production in the Gulf of Mexico, as they do in other locations such as the Oil Sands and the Canadian Arctic. I'm not sure I understand what this whataboutism has to do with anything, though. A pipeline spill just happened in North Dakota and - imagine this - it's in the news. What does the Gulf Coast of the US have to do with that, much less an oil spill there nearly a decade ago?

I digress. How have politicians and environmental groups shut down the oil industry in Alberta? Could you share an actual, legitimate source to substantiate such a bold statement? I'd be interested to know what specific political figures and/or environmental groups have realistically managed such a feat.

Cognitive dissonance has nothing to do with the political left or the right, BTW. So, I suggest you look up what it actually means instead of resorting to your usual tactics, labeling others presumptuously and getting defensive.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know you don't read links, so here is a summary.

In November 2012, BP and the United States Department of Justice settled federal criminal charges, with BP pleading guilty to 11 counts of manslaughter, two misdemeanors, and a felony count of lying to Congress. BP also agreed to four years of government monitoring of its safety practices and ethics, and the Environmental Protection Agency announced that BP would be temporarily banned from new contracts with the US government. BP and the Department of Justice agreed to a record-setting $4.525 billion in fines and other payments.[24][25][26] As of 2018, cleanup costs, charges and penalties had cost the company more than $65 billion.[27][28]

In September 2014, a U.S. District Court judge ruled that BP was primarily responsible for the oil spill because of its gross negligence and reckless conduct.[29] In July 2015, BP agreed to pay $18.7 billion in fines, the largest corporate settlement in United States history.

95 billion dollars spent on cleanup and the Gulf of Mexico is still an ecological mess that would take hundreds of years to rehabilitate itself if drilling stopped today, which it won't.  National borders don't matter, only dollars count, where ever the oil industry prospers they leave an unpaid environmental mess in their wake.

”Election commissioner Lorne Gibson’s investigation into the Callaway’s leadership bid found Kenney’s team supplied Callaway with attack ads, speeches & talking points, as well as a timeline of when he should drop out of the race to back Kenney.” #cdnpoli https://t.co/JFYBqAyqBT

— Leslie Maggie (@LeslieMaggie) November 4, 2019

4 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, nine years ago. When it happened. You know, what usually occurs immediately after an oil spill... It's in the news.

Countless organizations continue to protest oil production in the Gulf of Mexico, as they do in other locations such as the Oil Sands and the Canadian Arctic. I'm not sure I understand what this whataboutism has to do with anything, though. A pipeline spill just happened in North Dakota and - imagine this - it's in the news. What does the Gulf Coast of the US have to do with that, much less an oil spill there nearly a decade ago?

I digress. How have politicians and environmental groups shut down the oil industry in Alberta? Could you share an actual, legitimate source to substantiate such a bold statement? I'd be interested to know what specific political figures and/or environmental groups have realistically managed such a feat.

Cognitive dissonance has nothing to do with the political left or the right, BTW. So, I suggest you look up what it actually means instead of resorting to your usual tactics, labeling others presumptuously and getting defensive.

It doesn't have anything to do with anything. 

straws.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So the Kenney War Room/Inquiry against environmentalists is really just a way to reward loyalists.  Colour me shocked.

Inquiry commissioner Steve Allan handed $905K sole-source contract to son's law firm

CBC News · Posted: Nov 14, 2019 6:00 AM MT | Last Updated: November 14

The commissioner heading Alberta's public inquiry into allegations of foreign-funded reputational attacks on the province's oil and gas industry personally handed $905,000 in legal business to a Calgary law firm in which his son is a partner.

The contract was issued 11 days after Allan was named by Premier Jason Kenney to head the $2.5 million Public Inquiry Into Funding of Anti-Alberta Energy Campaigns.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/inquiry-commissioner-steve-allan-handed-905k-sole-source-contract-to-son-s-law-firm-1.5358866

Edited by Wideleft

• 4 weeks later...

Scheer resigns: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-resigns-1.5393803

Andrew Scheer is stepping down as Conservative Party leader.

CBC News learned he told his caucus the news earlier today. He made the formal announcement in the House of Commons.

Sources say Scheer, who has come under intense pressure within the party since losing the Oct. 21 election, will stay on until a new leader is chosen. That might not happen until the April party convention.

Scheer has faced mounting criticism over his election performance and Conservative MPs and grassroots party members have been divided over whether he should stay on as leader through the next election.

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

"His resignation comes as a direct result of new revelations that he was using Conservative Party money to pay for his children’s private schooling."

https://globalnews.ca/news/6288286/andrew-scheer-resignation/?fbclid=IwAR2ufyV9baZFwrl3I_olSiabTMt8Eo_G4LzeEhlZ35lIIn2mjd4-oPXnMBQ

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

"His resignation comes as a direct result of new revelations that he was using Conservative Party money to pay for his children’s private schooling."

https://globalnews.ca/news/6288286/andrew-scheer-resignation/?fbclid=IwAR2ufyV9baZFwrl3I_olSiabTMt8Eo_G4LzeEhlZ35lIIn2mjd4-oPXnMBQ

Image result for that's a shame gif"