Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Fair, but the counter to that is. Technology is developed by investing in it. That's how we got to the situation we are in now. By investing time, money, resources into developing oil, so there would be no more shortages, and there would be lasting economic effects. If we took that same approach to renewables we'd see massive gains.

Don't know why we can't do both? Build pipelines to safely transport oil & gas to tidewater on both coasts rather than by rail which is more expensive & dangerous while developing renewable resources. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Don't know why we can't do both? Build pipelines to safely transport oil & gas to tidewater on both coasts rather than by rail which is more expensive & dangerous while developing renewable resources. 

Because either the money invested in the pipeline will never recoup its cost due to tar sands becoming a stranded asset or the pipeline will be built and increase production of the tar sands and contribute more to climate change.

On 2019-10-23 at 1:35 PM, Wideleft said:

Again, that is what you're hearing, but not what they're actually saying.  You're going to need to provide some proof with context to convince me.

FFS, don't twist this. I know what I heard. Read the Greens election platform & the NDP's. Watch the English language debate again & what Elizabeth May was saying. I'm not going to get caught on a merry go round of words with you. 

11 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Because either the money invested in the pipeline will never recoup its cost due to tar sands becoming a stranded asset or the pipeline will be built and increase production of the tar sands and contribute more to climate change.

That's funny, a pipeline contributes more to climate change than rail cars on a train & trucks. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's funny, a pipeline contributes more to climate change than rail cars on a train & trucks. 

You factor in the building of it, the Materials, then the amount of increased production of the tar sands- then yeah. more than rail. 

So  you either pollute more and contribute more to a serious ******* problem if it is successfull and we keep on pumping out the crude. Or the world transitions to renewables and makes it a no brainer to go renewable becasue it is cheaper than extracting oil from the tar sands and economics just dictate that tar sands are not viable and it all shuts down to become a stranded asset- to which the cost to build the pipeline is now wasted. 

Looks to me like a lose-lose situation. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

You factor in the building of it, the Materials, then the amount of increased production of the tar sands- then yeah. more than rail. 

So  you either pollute more and contribute more to a serious ******* problem if it is successfull and we keep on pumping out the crude. Or the world transitions to renewables and makes it a no brainer to go renewable becasue it is cheaper than extracting oil from the tar sands and economics just dictate that tar sands are not viable and it all shuts down to become a stranded asset- to which the cost to build the pipeline is now wasted. 

Looks to me like a lose-lose situation. 

Where is the world transitioning to renewables? I see a lot of talk from progressives like you but in reality the world is still using more oil than ever before. 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Where is the world transitioning to renewables? I see a lot of talk from progressives like you but in reality the world is still using more oil than ever before. 

You are not helping your cause with questions like that.

large_5uqHMeqhdgn5L8HjSBZbe4FGNeH1v6B35U

large_iwdFrQ51hf6Av-y2CCXwv2LIUiToVF0U_u

large_ELEwxWGccyVWlrxsrOoU8b5-Nz0sYqv220

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/04/4-charts-that-show-the-rise-of-renewables/

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's exactly the rationale that Trudeau has given for buying TMX, but Conservatives somehow think that means he's going to institute Sharia Law,

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

That's exactly the rationale that Trudeau has given for buying TMX, but Conservatives somehow think that means he's going to institute Sharia Law,

The Alberta hatred for Trudeau is not rational. I suppose he could go out and start welding the pipeline himself, maybe that would raise his ratings there.

They are not the brightest bunch. Look what's happening to coal reliant economies. That's the future for oil reliant economies.

31 minutes ago, Mark F said:

The Alberta hatred for Trudeau is not rational. I suppose he could go out and start welding the pipeline himself, maybe that would raise his ratings there.

They are not the brightest bunch. Look what's happening to coal reliant economies. That's the future for oil reliant economies.

TAKING JOBS AWAY FROM ALBERTANS????

27 minutes ago, JCon said:

TAKING JOBS AWAY FROM ALBERTANS????

Alberta has lost more jobs to global oil prices, automation, Wall Street/shareholders and a refusal to plan or diversify than they have or will ever lose because of Trudeau. 

They need to tune out the Rebel, The Sun, The Fraser Institute, The Manning Institute and whatever Canada Proud is posting on Facebook and see the situation for what it is.  Even Jim Prentice told them they needed to look in the mirror, but they didn't seem to like the sound of that either.

Edit:  Sorry I missed your joke on the first go-round.

Edited by Wideleft

20 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't have a cause, Mr Social Justice Warrior. 

Mr Social Justice Warrior?

Dafuq?

You ask: "Where is the world transitioning to renewables?"

He gave you an answer... with pictures!

Then all you come up with is slandering him with "Mr. SJW". 

Good discourse. Very helpful to the discussion.

What's next, you are going to accuse people of virtue -signaling?

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Mr Social Justice Warrior?

Dafuq?

You ask: "Where is the world transitioning to renewables?"

He gave you an answer... with pictures!

Then all you come up with is slandering him with "Mr. SJW". 

Good discourse. Very helpful to the discussion.

What's next, you are going to accuse people of virtue -signaling?

He said I had a "cause". Like because I live in Alberta therefore I must hate the Earth. I read the comments here about Alberta. Not just today but everyday. Like Mark F saying we are "not the brightest bunch". Or the comment about Jim Prentice which of course is clueless as it had nothing to do with climate change but provincial government spending on education & health care.  If people here are going to be asshats towards me & my fellow Albertans well **** them. You (meaning all the progressives here that hate Alberta) want a meaningful dialogue then drop the insults. If not, don't be shocked when you get it back. If you think I'm a little sensitive, well I am.  Try to see things from my perspective, please. Albertans are not all rednecks. We all don't have multi million dollar homes out here. We all don't drive huge expensive SUV's. We aren't all rich oilmen or JR Ewing. Not all of us work in O & G. We are just like all of you. We have families. We worry about paying our bills like you do. A little respect as Canadians goes a long way. 

Dafuq? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He said I had a "cause". Like because I live in Alberta therefore I must hate the Earth. I read the comments here about Alberta. Not just today but everyday. Like Mark F saying we are "not the brightest bunch". Or the comment about Jim Prentice which of course is clueless as it had nothing to do with climate change but provincial government spending on education & health care.  If people here are going to be asshats towards me & my fellow Albertans well **** them. You (meaning all the progressives here that hate Alberta) want a meaningful dialogue then drop the insults. If not, don't be shocked when you get it back. If you think I'm a little sensitive, well I am.  Try to see things from my perspective, please. Albertans are not all rednecks. We all don't have multi million dollar homes out here. We all don't drive huge expensive SUV's. We aren't all rich oilmen or JR Ewing. Not all of us work in O & G. We are just like all of you. We have families. We worry about paying our bills like you do. A little respect as Canadians goes a long way. 

Dafuq? 

It's a figure of speech, but you hear what you want to hear.  I don't hate Alberta, but I will call out the faux victimhood expressed by so many on the right.  You on the right just elected a premier who gave a 4.5 billion dollar tax cut to the rich just so Shell could lay off a bunch of people.  He then cut services and tax-paying civil servant positions to pay for it because taxes are so freaking evil in Wild Rose country.  Trickle down economics never works.

If you're so concerned about fellow struggling Albertans, why do you support a party that preys on them?  Why did you and Sask vote out your federal reps and then complain you have no voice at the table?  It's almost like you don't care about consequences.

Which brings us to climate change.  What kind of message are you sending to kids?  Not even from a climate point of view, but from a long-term economic point of view.  The right is selling false hope that there's a long term future for oil and gas and kids will pay in more ways than one for that.  Even farmers who are so inextricably tied to their land and lifestyle are more honest with their kids about the future.

If you want respect from the rest of Canada, start acting like Canadians first and Albertans second instead of the other way around.  

Edited by Wideleft

Equalization payments explained: 
The  feeling of Western alienation may be understandable, but complaining about equalization payments is backing the wrong horse. Economist Trevor Tombe explains how it works: 

“First, and most importantly, none of the equalization dollars are paid by Alberta—it’s a federal program. The federal government pays equalization out of general revenue...

“Albertans contribute [only] 17 per cent of federal revenue for the simple reason that Alberta’s economy is 17 per cent of Canada’s. Two-thirds of federal revenue is from taxes on income, plus another one-quarter from taxes on consumption through sales taxes, excise taxes and import tariffs. Overall, 90 per cent of federal revenue comes from taxes...”

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

It's a figure of speech, but you hear what you want to hear.  I don't hate Alberta, but I will call out the faux victimhood expressed by so many on the right.  You on the right just elected a premier who gave a 4.5 billion dollar tax cut to the rich just so Shell could lay off a bunch of people.  He then cut services and tax-paying civil servant positions to pay for it because taxes are so freaking evil in the rectangle province.  Trickle down economics never works.

If you're so concerned about fellow struggling Albertans, why do you support a party that preys on them?  Why did you and Sask vote out your federal reps and then complain you have no voice at the table?  It's almost like you don't care about consequences.

Which brings us to climate change.  What kind of message are you sending to kids?  Not even from a climate point of view, but from a long-term economic point of view.  The right is selling false hope that there's a long term future for oil and gas and kids will pay in more ways than one for that.  Even farmers who are so inextricably tied to their land and lifestyle are more honest with their kids about the future.

If you want respect from the rest of Canada, start acting like Canadians first and Albertans second instead of the other way around.  

Yet the rest of Canada treats Quebec with kid gloves. Blanchet has no interest in doing anything for Canada. Just for Quebec. Tsk, tsk, no religious symbols by government employees in Quebec. No one says nothing. Where's Trudeau & the rest of the federal party leaders on this? Yet we in Alberta complain about equalization payments & we don't act Canadian? Give me a break. I guess money usurps freedom in this country. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yet the rest of Canada treats Quebec with kid gloves. Blanchet has no interest in doing anything for Canada. Just for Quebec. Tsk, tsk, no religious symbols by government employees in Quebec. No one says nothing. Where's Trudeau & the rest of the federal party leaders on this? Yet we in Alberta complain about equalization payments & we don't act Canadian? Give me a break. I guess money usurps freedom in this country. 

Listen to yourself.  Rather than offering any kind of ideas promoting unity, you instead provide excuses to justify your bitching.  Talk to Kenney about equalization.  He and Harper wrote that agreement.

And you wonder why Alberta can't get any respect.

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Listen to yourself.  Rather than offering any kind of ideas promoting unity, you instead provide excuses to justify your bitching.  Talk to Kenney about equalization.  He and Harper wrote that agreement.

And you wonder why Alberta can't get any respect.

Exactly what I was thinking - who was Prime Minister the last time equalization was reviewed?

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Exactly what I was thinking - who was Prime Minister the last time equalization was reviewed?

The last time was Trudeau who imposed another 5 years of equalization payments without consultation last year. Don't you think it's time for Manitoba to move out of Alberta's basement & make it on your own? You guys want to kill O & G yet still expect Alberta to pay for the things you can't afford on your own. Can't have it both ways. Oh sorry, this is Canada where the welfare state is alive & well.