Canadian Politics

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Manitoba receives more equalization payments per capita than Quebec does - as do Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. 

Well aware. I'm just saying Quebec would be running a deficit of roughly 10 billion a year if they didn't receive equalization payments and most of that $ comes from Alberta as Alberta is one of the few Have Provinces and the one that makes the largest contribution and Quebec still dumps on them and the Alberta oil and gas industry. So do many other Canadians and really we shouldn't.

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Well aware. I'm just saying Quebec would be running a deficit of roughly 10 billion a year if they didn't receive equalization payments and most of that $ comes from Alberta as Alberta is one of the few Have Provinces and the one that makes the largest contribution and Quebec still dumps on them and the Alberta oil and gas industry. So do many other Canadians and really we shouldn't.

When I see other O & G nations using carbon taxes and other environmental measures in lockstep with their oil industry, which then gives them a better image and better markets world wide - I seriously question whether Albertans are being slighted as much they believe they are.

10 hours ago, Wideleft said:

I was surprised at this as well.  Carry over from a very nasty campaign.  Agree that Singh went on too long, but Scheer and Trudeau should have waited for their turns.  Probably a good thing for Scheer anyway, because he is not a gracious loser.

Show me a guy who doesn't hate losing & I'll show you a guy who will never win. That goes for Trudeau as well. 

Singh is playing the role of so many other NDP leaders: the backup QB/goalie of Canadian politics. Everyone always loves the NDP leader, but they never take the field.

Did the People's Party cost the Conservatives any seats in close ridings?

Do they still call the Conservatives "the Tories" in Canada or did that end after the PCs imploded in the nineties?

man I've been away a long time.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

Singh is playing the role of so many other NDP leaders: the backup QB/goalie of Canadian politics. Everyone always loves the NDP leader, but they never take the field.

Do they still call the Conservatives "the Tories" in Canada or did that end after the PCs imploded in the nineties?

No, this group of conservatives is not associated with the name "Torie" and they have nothing much in common with the old Progressive Conservative party.  They're the Satanic offspring of Preston Manning's old Reform Party and they share many similar values and motives with the Republican Party.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

Layton was popular but he couldn't win.

Probably not. The Conservatives either won BIG in the West or a close second in the East but the PPC were obliterated everywhere.

No. That reference went away when the PC's & Reform merged.

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

They are "conservatives" in name only. Nothing could be further from the truth. These are anti-science, regressive taxes, big government social righties. They are no conservative parties left in Canada. 

I'm a Conservative. I prefer to not trust the science of climate change because most of it is backed by the UN. Probably the most corrupt & lying organization in the world. I don't trust anything that comes from them. 

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I prefer to not trust the science of climate change because most of it is backed by the UN.

The science on the greenhouse effect is not something you can really argue with. 

The debate is really surrounding predictive models and what should be done about it because it has a very real cost. Make no mistake, global warming is a real phenomenon. 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The science on the greenhouse effect is not something you can really argue with. 

The debate is really surrounding predictive models and what should be done about it because it has a very real cost. Make no mistake, global warming is a real phenomenon. 

Well, if I don't trust the UN or the science behind climate change then why would I trust  being told we're all going to die in 12 years. Or is it 11 now?

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, if I don't trust the UN or the science behind climate change then why would I trust  being told we're all going to die in 12 years. Or is it 11 now?

first off...  Who said we would all be dead now?

That is bullshit fear mongering and you know it, please stop it- it doesn't help. 

Just because the science is backed up by the UN doesn't invalidate it- I am sure the UN supports the science behind gravity... or the fact the Earth is a sphere... you refuse to believe in those because it's supported by "the most corrupt & lying organization in the world."? That is silly. The science is settled, climate change is real, humans are causing it and action needs to be taken now.

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nobody said anything about the world ending or humanity going extinct. That kind of fearmongering is exactly what's not needed. The scientific community's consensus is 2030 is the tipping point for when it'll be too late to make meaningful changes if we continue to just go on as we are with our current rates of consumption of fossil fuels. The UN merely supports that assertion, along with the other science-backed findings showing human-influenced climate change is a real issue as far as our collective future is concerned.

By your logic, you might as well deny physics, chemistry, and biology, and support the domed flat earth movement. Because in all likelihood, the boogeymen at the UN support all that proven science, too.

4 minutes ago, iHeart said:

so who is behind this Wexit crap? because a part of me is wondering if a stupid twitter bot was behind this, it kind of makes me not want to use any hashtags on the site. 

Oh, the anger is real and so is the sentiment. 

Also- you are probably right in suspecting twiter bots having a hand in fanning the flames.

8 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

That is bullshit fear mongering and you know it, please stop it- it doesn't help. 

Just because the science is backed up by the UN doesn't invalidate it- I am sure the UN supports the science behind gravity... or the fact the Earth is a sphere... you refuse to believe in those because it's supported by "the most corrupt & lying organization in the world."? That is silly. The science is settled, climate change is real, humans are causing it and action needs to be taken now.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded part. It's not clear that humans are causing it. It's clear that we are playing a role. But causing it, nope. The climate of earth changes regularly (well regularly on a galactic time scale anyway).

8 minutes ago, iHeart said:

so who is behind this Wexit crap? because a part of me is wondering if a stupid twitter bot was behind this, it kind of makes me not want to use any hashtags on the site. 

Those people are just god damn annoying. "we didn't win, so we're going to take our ball and go home!"

Honestly, if people don't like Canada so much so that they want out. Move. I'm sure they're the same people who think immigrants/refugees can just go back home. If it's so easy, put your money where your mouth is and gtfo. This is Canada, love it or ******* leave it. Enough complaining.

9 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

A journalist said it at the very end of the Global election broadcast as they were signing off. The bubbleheaded bleach blonde said,  "We have 12 years". Just as they were signing off. Greta Thunberg was preaching same here in Alberta. Kids in school are being told the end is 12 years away. So, please stop. It doesn't help. 

Talk of "western separation" simply makes me angry.  It's juvenile and is nothing more than a populist talking point with no foundation in reality. 

A little reading: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/why-alberta-separatism-is-the-dumbest-political-movement-in-canada-today

I'm usually more thoughtful when I choose to post in these threads but this nonsense just irritates the **** out of me.  I'll gladly sit down with anyone and talk about my view, over a beer, where we can agree to disagree like intelligent .. thoughtful folk.

Just now, voodoochylde said:

Talk of "western separation" simply makes me angry.  It's juvenile and is nothing more than a populist talking point with no foundation in reality. 

A little reading: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/why-alberta-separatism-is-the-dumbest-political-movement-in-canada-today

Well, you can think it's dumb & it makes you angry but it's real. 

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

If I were to name names, the first one I'd submit is Danielle Smith, former leader of the Wild Rose Party.  She's been very active in promoting it.  Also keep in mind that Kenny's "war room" has no transparency, so he may have used some of that 30 million to fund a social media campaign. 

The good news is that #rednexit has now overtaken #wexit and is now trending in response.