Canadian Politics

What no one is really saying on tv is that this election was on climate change.  66% of voters supported parties that believe in climate change.  I hope the provincial conservative parties take note.  Denying it will just saddle you with the Federal backstop, so either come up with a proper plan or accept your fate.

Edited by Wideleft

Just now, Wideleft said:

Singh will as he performed admirably.  Conservatives need to look for someone who isn't so punchable.

Lower percentage of the vote and less seats than 2015 for Singh. That's an admirable performance? Usually that doesn't get you another shot.

Conservatives likely view this as a missed opportunity, although they did gain in seats and vote percentage, so I could see Sheer getting axed. Personally I think they need to find a female leader.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So does Sheer survive as leader? Singh?

He was a lousy choice to begin with. Then again, the 2017 CPC leadership race was uninspiring at best. FWIW, I think Rona Ambrose would've been a great choice had she thrown her hat into the ring. We could even be discussing the first female PM right this minute.

Scheer did win his riding, so we'll see. Singh is safe, IMO.

30 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Lower percentage of the vote and less seats than 2015 for Singh. That's an admirable performance? Usually that doesn't get you another shot.

In the last election they got the Quebec protest vote and won more seats there than anyone thought possible. Those seats have gone back to the Bloc which isn't much of a surprise. What Singh does have is the balance of power.

17 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He was a lousy choice to begin with. Then again, the 2017 CPC leadership race was uninspiring at best. FWIW, I think Rona Ambrose would've been a great choice had she thrown her hat into the ring. We could even be discussing the first female PM right this minute.

She may not have held the position for long, but I do believe that distinction goes to Kim Campbell.

Hey now, what a terrible lack of class & good sportsmanship last night when Scheer's concession speech was interrupted 30 seconds in by Trudeau jumping on stage to make his own "I WON" speech. The different political leaders used to let each other speak out of respect for each other & now they can't even do that.  That is just how low politics has sunk in Canada. And yeah, Scheer walked out when Singh was still talking but he had already had 20 minutes to say what he needed to say & looked like he was nowhere near finished. However, what Scheer did wasn't right & should have let Singh finish his speech. I've never seen anything like that before. 

man, I am shocked that the BQ now has more power than the NDP, not really shocked that the PPC didn't win a seat. I'm quite astounded that the Green Party now has like 3 seats (at least that's how it was around midnight when I had trouble sleeping, really long day)

There had been a few predictions here that the Liberals would win a minority and they did

Edited by iHeart

8 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I agree on Ambrose and on Sheer and the 2017 CPC race. Conservatives need to pick a female leader.

8 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I agree. I don't know a lot about her, but I liked what I heard while she was in charge for that brief time.

8 hours ago, Jacquie said:

In the last election they got the Quebec protest vote and won more seats there than anyone thought possible. Those seats have gone back to the Bloc which isn't much of a surprise. What Singh does have is the balance of power.

I'm glad the NDP have enough seats that the Liberals only have to work with them. Needing to include the Bloc would have been bad news.

14 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I am curious if the opposition will push to have more testimony and investigation into SNC Lavelin and the Mark Norman case now that the Liberals no longer control the committees.

SNC controversy is dead.  The BQ leader defended Trudeau in the English debate. 

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

Liberals don't need to do much to hold onto power. The NDP are broke and can't afford another election. The Bloc have zero desire to run another election.

They'll rule like Harper did with few concessions. 

The difference is that Harper spent his efforts playing the other parties against each other.  I may be naive, but I don't think Trudeau is as cynical about politics as Harper was.  The Liberals, NDP, Greens and the BQ agree on a LOT of issues.  Even though the Cons won the popular vote, they're on their own on most issues because they've moved so far right.

Just now, Wideleft said:

The difference is that Harper spent his efforts playing the other parties against each other.  I may be naive, but I don't think Trudeau is as cynical about politics as Harper was.  The Liberals, NDP, Greens and the BQ agree on a LOT of issues.  Even though the Cons won the popular vote, they're on their own on most issues because they've moved so far right.

The thing is Trudeau can use Bloc or NDP whenever he wants, he doesn't need both. We won't lose confidence in the House but he may not get everything through that he wants. 

Trudeau has not learned anything from his first term. And, he won't. But, his ministry will probably feel more empowered and we may seem some other leaders emerge. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hey now, what a terrible lack of class & good sportsmanship last night when Scheer's concession speech was interrupted 30 seconds in by Trudeau jumping on stage to make his own "I WON" speech. The different political leaders used to let each other speak out of respect for each other & now they can't even do that.  That is just how low politics has sunk in Canada. And yeah, Scheer walked out when Singh was still talking but he had already had 20 minutes to say what he needed to say & looked like he was nowhere near finished. However, what Scheer did wasn't right & should have let Singh finish his speech. I've never seen anything like that before. 

I was surprised at this as well.  Carry over from a very nasty campaign.  Agree that Singh went on too long, but Scheer and Trudeau should have waited for their turns.  Probably a good thing for Scheer anyway, because he is not a gracious loser.

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

When you start hearing right wing die hards like Charles Adler saying the CPC needs to move to the centre AND be more accommodating to minorities, the writing is on the wall.  To have Liberals come with a dozen seats of a majority after everything that's happened, speaks volumes. 

Adler has become the Bill Kristol of Canadian politics.  There is no question in my mind that he is a dyed-in-the-wool conservative, but he recognizes that when the Soldiers of Odin start showing up at your rallies and you are doing nothing to condemn them, you are dooming and destroying your party.