Canadian Politics

Wideleft, I believe that candidates & their parties have to earn the right to get a vote. The NDP, Liberals & Greens have done absolutely no campaigning in my riding. I've been involved in small ways in previous provincial campaigns when I lived in Winnipeg years ago so I understand the political process. We just look at it differently. You believe that  I should go online & look up the candidates who are ghosting my riding. My attitude is that if a political party or in this instance, political parties have written off my riding then I believe that they haven't earned the right to ask for my vote & they won't get it. Yesterday, my PPC candidate got into a pissing contest on facebook after he was called a Nazi. He responded by attacking the CPC & Scheer & came across as a nutjob. I know who I'm voting for Monday. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Wideleft, I believe that candidates & their parties have to earn the right to get a vote. The NDP, Liberals & Greens have done absolutely no campaigning in my riding. I've been involved in small ways in previous provincial campaigns when I lived in Winnipeg years ago so I understand the political process. We just look at it differently. You believe that  I should go online & look up the candidates who are ghosting my riding. My attitude is that if a political party or in this instance, political parties have written off my riding then I believe that they haven't earned the right to ask for my vote & they won't get it. Yesterday, my PPC candidate got into a pissing contest on facebook after he was called a Nazi. He responded by attacking the CPC & Scheer & came across as a nutjob. I know who I'm voting for Monday. 

My MLA spends a whole bunch of time outside the country. He also doesn't even live in my riding. I'm not even sure he could identify the riding on a map. But, provincially, the Conservatives could run goldfish and get them elected in my riding. It's a safe seat, so leader of the party has been claiming it as theirs over the past few elections. 

19 minutes ago, JCon said:

My MLA spends a whole bunch of time outside the country. He also doesn't even live in my riding. I'm not even sure he could identify the riding on a map. But, provincially, the Conservatives could run goldfish and get them elected in my riding. It's a safe seat, so leader of the party has been claiming it as theirs over the past few elections. 

Why does a provincial MLA have to travel outside Canada so much? 

Well, I am hoping for a minority Liberal Government propped up by the NDP.  Even if the Liberals don't have the most seats. I think a liberal Government being kept in check by a progressive party is a good thing.

Maybe that will stop this whole campaign left of center and govern right of center bullshit game the Liberals play.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

31 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Perhaps but JCon never said that. He said MLA & not Premier. Doesn't Pallister own property in Costa Rica?

He is the Premier but he travels a lot for personal reasons to Costa Rica. 

If it were work related, that would be good but he shuns work travel. He avoids it. 

5 hours ago, Wideleft said:

That's definitely part of it, but that's not the whole thing.  I don't care how "great" a local citizen is if he's (yes he) going to support a government that wants to roll back women's rights or environmental regulations.  What appears to be a good person doesn't always make for a good politician.  On the flipside, I won't vote for A-holes either.

I think we both know that any comments or discussion on women's rights, including abortion, is nothing but lip service.  Every party, should they get elected, is going to leave them exactly the way they are.

As for the environment, I don't believe we have had a governing party that has really taken it seriously.  I mean, we're now taxing pollution but we don't even have decent tree planting programs. 

This article is a very good read.  Apparently provincial budgets are no longer in a deficit situation:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/manitoba-numbers-game-561473592.html

Frustrating commentary by the provincial government.  Maybe they fear irrelevance now that the budget is balanced?

I guess if Scheer gets elected the transfer payments will be cut back - then can go back to slaying the deficit. 

17 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

The abortion issue is really just scare tactics. Canada hasn't had an abortion law since 88 when the Supreme Court struck the existing law down. No governing party has touched this issue since. Heck Harper had a majority for 4 years and despite reports of having a secret agenda, didn't touch this issue.

People like to believe this, but the opposite is true.  A government can basically shut down or severely restrict abortion services without saying they're shutting down abortion services.  They are doing this in the states by writing regulations and requirements for abortion providers that are so extreme that they cannot reasonably be met. 

The only private abortion clinic in New Brunswick is about to close for lack of funding.  The Government of New Brunswick is conservative and refuse to provide funding because abortion services are one of the things they provide.  And people can say "hey just go to a hospital", but the only two hospitals in NB that provide abortion services are in Moncton and Bathurst.  Access to health services of any kind is just important as the health services themselves.  Don't forget that clinics like these rarely only provide abortion services.  Much like Planned Parenthood in the States, the vast majority of the work they do revolves around other women's health issues.  So yeah, this is a real issue for women.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/sole-private-abortion-clinic-in-new-brunswick-to-close-43568

17 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I think we both know that any comments or discussion on women's rights, including abortion, is nothing but lip service.  Every party, should they get elected, is going to leave them exactly the way they are.

As for the environment, I don't believe we have had a governing party that has really taken it seriously.  I mean, we're now taxing pollution but we don't even have decent tree planting programs. 

Don't agree on the first point (see my response to Rebus).  As for the second point, you have to start somewhere and we finally have.  Scheer not only wants to stop us right after we started, but will make things worse.  That's unforgiveable given what we know.

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

And even if made illegal, it's not like there's not birth control out there. Who gets abortions? 99% of the time it's women who don't use birth control.

Now that i've stepped on a landmine, who wants to defuse it for me?

Won't defuse it, but I can help you with information.  https://www.arcc-cdac.ca/backrounders/statistics-abortion-in-canada.pdf

You don't have to agree with the source's politics, but they always bring receipts.

Here is a List of 67 Conservative Candidates Who Will Vote Against Women’s Reproductive Rights

Canada's biggest anti-abortion organization says it is officially endorsing one-in-five Conservative candidates

"Canada’s biggest anti-abortion group says it is endorsing one-in-five candidates for Andrew Scheer’s Conservatives in the 2019 federal election.  Campaign Life Coalition, a group that likens abortion to the “Nazi holocaust,” has released a list of candidates whom the group identifies as committed to rolling back women’s reproductive rights if they get elected.

CLC says it bases their list of supportable candidates on voting records, quotes and responses to surveys that include questions like whether they’d vote for a law to ban abortions “from the time of conception” or if there are “any circumstances” in which the candidate believes a woman should have the right to access an abortion?"

The breakdown also reveals startling provincial numbers on anti-abortion candidates running for the Conservative Party:

• Half of all Conservative candidates in Saskatchewan (50%)
  • Four-in-10 Conservative candidates in New Bruswick (40%)
  • One-third of all Conservative candidates in Alberta (35.3%) and Manitoba (35.7%)
  • One-quarter of all Conservative candidates in Ontario (25.6%)
  • One-fifth of all Conservative candidates in BC (19%)

Scheer has struggled to reassure voters he will not reopen the abortion debate, given he told the anti-abortion group RightNow the exact opposite during his leadership campaign in 2017.

“I’ve always voted in favour of pro-life legislation,” Scheer said, before stating he would allow his party’s backbench MPs to introduce legislation that restricts abortion access.

“It’s important that the next leader of our party not only allows that, but celebrates that tradition of having free votes on matters of conscience.”

https://pressprogress.ca/here-is-a-list-of-67-conservative-candidates-who-will-vote-against-womens-reproductive-rights/

7 hours ago, Wideleft said:

You don't have to agree with the source's politics, but they always bring receipts.

Here is a List of 67 Conservative Candidates Who Will Vote Against Women’s Reproductive Rights

Canada's biggest anti-abortion organization says it is officially endorsing one-in-five Conservative candidates

"Canada’s biggest anti-abortion group says it is endorsing one-in-five candidates for Andrew Scheer’s Conservatives in the 2019 federal election.  Campaign Life Coalition, a group that likens abortion to the “Nazi holocaust,” has released a list of candidates whom the group identifies as committed to rolling back women’s reproductive rights if they get elected.

CLC says it bases their list of supportable candidates on voting records, quotes and responses to surveys that include questions like whether they’d vote for a law to ban abortions “from the time of conception” or if there are “any circumstances” in which the candidate believes a woman should have the right to access an abortion?"

The breakdown also reveals startling provincial numbers on anti-abortion candidates running for the Conservative Party:

• Half of all Conservative candidates in Saskatchewan (50%)
  • Four-in-10 Conservative candidates in New Bruswick (40%)
  • One-third of all Conservative candidates in Alberta (35.3%) and Manitoba (35.7%)
  • One-quarter of all Conservative candidates in Ontario (25.6%)
  • One-fifth of all Conservative candidates in BC (19%)

Scheer has struggled to reassure voters he will not reopen the abortion debate, given he told the anti-abortion group RightNow the exact opposite during his leadership campaign in 2017.

“I’ve always voted in favour of pro-life legislation,” Scheer said, before stating he would allow his party’s backbench MPs to introduce legislation that restricts abortion access.

“It’s important that the next leader of our party not only allows that, but celebrates that tradition of having free votes on matters of conscience.”

https://pressprogress.ca/here-is-a-list-of-67-conservative-candidates-who-will-vote-against-womens-reproductive-rights/

This really is meaningless in Canada. Even trying to pass this would make all those conservatives un-electable by the nation. 

We are not the USA. yes we might copy cat somethings, but outside of the very fringes of the right there is no desire for anyone to change anything about abortions and it's not going to come to the forefront of the conservative party because it's a poison pill for their election hopes. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

This really is meaningless in Canada. Even trying to pass this would make all those conservatives un-electable by the nation. 

We are not the USA. yes we might copy cat somethings, but outside of the very fringes of the right there is no desire for anyone to change anything about abortions and it's not going to come to the forefront of the conservative party because it's a poison pill for their election hopes. 

It's interesting how cavalier so many men are about this.  I suspect  women in Fredericton might feel a little more threatened than you do.

26 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Other than what 17to85 stated, which is spot on imo, if a government passed a bill banning abortion, they'd be in court immediately and said law would be quickly overturned. Besides healthcare is a provincial responsibility, so your NB example doesn't really work national.

Yes or no, can a woman get a legal abortion in the third largest city in New Brunswick?  Can you not acknowledge that access to legal abortions can be restricted without actually banning the service?  Now tell me which party is more likely to challenge these restrictions based on human rights?  

1. You can still get abortions in New Brunswick

2. The same conditions existed in New Brunswick(ie the government not funding abortions outside of hospitals) under the previous Liberal government. So a selective omission on your part.

3. Are you suggesting that a Sheer government would attempt to limit abortions by restricting them to hospitals only?

4. You mentioned 67 potential Conservative MPs who might vote for abortion. Where are you getting the other 163 votes needed to pass any hypothetical situation.

I'm sorry but your argument is full of holes and you've done nothing to show you're doing anything other than scaremongering.

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

It's interesting how cavalier so many men are about this.  I suspect  women in Fredericton might feel a little more threatened than you do.

As cavalier as, say, taking a human life like it's having a tattoo removed ?