Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Do some critics overreact?  Absolutely, but the same can be said for both sides.  Remember how bestiality was going to run rampant after gay marriage was okayed?

The guy literally removed the word "Environment" from Environment Canada and "Progressive" from the Progressive Conservative Party.  Don't know why we'd be concerned about Harper.  

People today are disgusted by some Trump policies and forget that Harper implemented the same policies while he was in office (muzzling scientists, removing protections on water ways, trying to make it harder for people to vote etc.).  

Conservatives play a long game - you don't notice how your rights (as a non 10 per center) are slowly being stripped away unless you are paying very close attention.

What a bunch of BS. When you invent narrative it doesn't convince other people...it just makes your post sound dumb. Fear mongering doesn't work anymore. It's time for the far left to let it go.

Edited by gcn11

Harper isn't even running for office & Trudeau along with Wideleft still talk about him. It's like watching a horror flick in a theatre when you were a kid & it scared you so much you had the blankets pulled over you in bed while in the dark. Then years later when you were an adult you watched the same film on tv & you wonder why you were so afraid in the first place. The movie wasn't scary at all. Posters like Wideleft would hate Harper no matter what.  They'd hate anyone who leads the Conservative party.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Harper isn't even running for office & Trudeau along with Wideleft still talk about him. It's like watching a horror flick in a theatre when you were a kid & it scared you so much you had the blankets pulled over you in bed while in the dark. Then years later when you were an adult you watched the same film on tv & you wonder why you were so afraid in the first place. The movie wasn't scary at all. Posters like Wideleft would hate Harper no matter what.  They'd hate anyone who leads the Conservative party.

Incorrect, but the Conservative Party repeatedly fails to nominate a leader that I can't hate.  Michael Chong would have been the proper choice for leader, but the Conservatives can't have nice things either.

I hope the media is digging into things.  Not because I *want* there to be nasty secrets in JT's past but because you have to be suspicious now.  Why did he leave his teaching gig suddenly in mid-semester?  Could be totally legitimate...worth confirming though.  Other incidents of racist acts, which JT himself said could be plentiful.   A shady room mate.  Any other complaints of groping?  His teflon is pierced now...

I'm not sure if he's ever had teflon. I think his name power more than anything is why he's made it as far as he had. Just another charismatic leader with illusions of grandeur who really doesn't give a rip about anyone but his ego. His past has come back to haunt him and his reputation won't ever be the same. That said, I have no idea what's going to happen on Oct. 21st. I feel like the voting public is being put in front of bags of old grass clippings and dead leaves... The only difference is the colour of the bag.

Great hair, though. Even against a darker, albeit artificial, skin tone.

Image result for trudeau blackface memes

I'll admit one thing: the memes have been absolutely awesome.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I wonder who put it in there? 

no kidding, however upon reflection it might be a far more shallow comment than I am giving him credit for, it occurs to me he might be meaning his white privilege gives him blindspots towards racially insensitive acts, as opposed to my initial interpretation that he's so privileged in all ways that he misses the big picture on many more things. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

no kidding, however upon reflection it might be a far more shallow comment than I am giving him credit for, it occurs to me he might be meaning his white privilege gives him blindspots towards racially insensitive acts, as opposed to my initial interpretation that he's so privileged in all ways that he misses the big picture on many more things. 

It can certainly be both and they usually go hand in hand.

20 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Has he really received the same treatment that Harper got for any of his mistakes or Duffy? I don't think he has. My point was that he gets preferential treatment from the media and that he is a hypocrite.

I've always thought people's perception of how a politician is treated by the media is affected by who they support. Harper had a lot of supporters in Canadian media, but imo people who support him are more sensitive to criticism of him. Same goes for Trudeau. He's getting dumped on pretty hard right now.

Edited by sweep the leg

2 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I've always thought people's perception of how a politician is treated by the media is affected by who they support. Harper had a lot of supporters in Canadian media, but imo people who support him are more sensitive to criticism of him. Same goes for Trudeau. He's getting dumped on pretty hard right now.

The CBC is attacked by both sides for showing bias on a daily basis.  It's probably because their reporting is pretty accurate.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

And I'm worried about MTS being privatized.....oh wait. 

It's not like there isn't history to consider.

Apples and oranges. MTS required a multi-billion dollar technology upgrade just to continue operating. We have already spent the billions on Hydro.

15 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Apples and oranges. MTS required a multi-billion dollar technology upgrade just to continue operating. We have already spent the billions on Hydro.

Was this during the initial privatization under filmon or the sale to Bell? Links would be awesome too please. CBC links preferred. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

6 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Was this during the initial privatization under filmon or the sale to Bell? Links would be awesome too please. CBC links preferred. 

Common knowledge. No offense, but find it yourself. Everyone knows that the whole province needed to be redone with fibre optic and only a very small portion of it had been done. I am, of course, referring to the original privitization of MTS. Billions were needed to do so with very little realistic hope of cost recovery. CBC links? Good god....might as well ask the NDP to write it themselves.

Edited by gcn11