Canadian Politics

45 minutes ago, nate007 said:

I was specifically referencing Brian Sinclair, so that was during the NDP's time.

We're pretty close to the Vic, and it was still fantastic the last time someone in the family needed stitches. The bottom line is that if you didn't call 911 and aren't riding in an ambulance, you probably don't need an ER and an Urgent Care will serve you just fine. All the people complaining about needing to 'drive all the way across the city' for an ER are either mis-informed, mis-using them, or (were) using scare tactics to try to get votes.

I don't think anyone is all up in arms about requiring stitches and are upset because the ER is closed... 

Since all the ers closed.... they get diverted to the only two ers left... and each one of them are crazy over loaded, over worked and don't have enough space. The practice of hallway medicine is worse now than before- it used to be an issue with insufficient bed space, now it's an issue of insufficient beds with monitoring stations for those that need it in the ER.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Interestingly the couple people I know in health care would disagree, feeling the plan has a lot of merit.  Needs better execution.  The change from ER to urgent care impacts very few.  Rural health care is arguably improved significantly.  17 years of NDP was rough.  Going to take more than 3 years to fix.  

My experience in the St.B ER last march would tell a very different story. Every single Nurse and Doctor I talked to, gave the polite "yeah, I know nod" and every single one of them told me to write to my MLA. Not one person in the ER that I talked to was pleased or happy about the changes- quite the opposite actually.

59 minutes ago, nate007 said:

I was specifically referencing Brian Sinclair, so that was during the NDP's time.

We're pretty close to the Vic, and it was still fantastic the last time someone in the family needed stitches. The bottom line is that if you didn't call 911 and aren't riding in an ambulance, you probably don't need an ER and an Urgent Care will serve you just fine. All the people complaining about needing to 'drive all the way across the city' for an ER are either mis-informed, mis-using them, or (were) using scare tactics to try to get votes.

I agree.  I had the argument with a couple of friends who didnt really think that critically about "ER's are closed, what happens when I need to go?"  Most people dont need an ER, Urgent Care is fine.  Im cool with a discussion about it but I think a lot of people werent looking at it accurately.

7 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

My experience in the St.B ER last march would tell a very different story. Every single Nurse and Doctor I talked to, gave the polite "yeah, I know nod" and every single one of them told me to write to my MLA. Not one person in the ER that I talked to was pleased or happy about the changes- quite the opposite actually.

I've been to a number of ER's & Urgent Care unfortunately and my most recent trip to HSC was not a good one (9 hours).  But the numbers show reduced wait times and my experience has been generally better.  I have a couple of nurse friends who think an over-hall was needed but they jumped the gun a bit.  My thought is, lets let the Cons complete their changes and then judge.  What the NDP did for 17 years wasnt working.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I've been to a number of ER's & Urgent Care unfortunately and my most recent trip to HSC was not a good one (9 hours).  But the numbers show reduced wait times and my experience has been generally better.  I have a couple of nurse friends who think an over-hall was needed but they jumped the gun a bit.  My thought is, lets let the Cons complete their changes and then judge.  What the NDP did for 17 years wasnt working.

Different metric. They used to count times from when you are waiting to where you get to where you need to be.

Now they have split up the wait times... From when you enter, to entering your information, to initial screening, then a new wait time from initial screening to seeing a doctor. Not the same metric is used. before one wait time: from when you enter until you see a doctor. New wait times: several depending on where in the trip to the doctor you are in. gives a false sense of shortened wait times.

Cons dropped the ******* ball on this- they needed to do this in an orderly fashion with the required resources and proper planning, not some ideologically driven agenda item to appease their base- it's people's health, they should treat it as such. 17 years of NDP was working better than now. it wasn't great, but it wasn't chaos. 

8 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Different metric. They used to count times from when you are waiting to where you get to where you need to be.

Now they have split up the wait times... From when you enter, to entering your information, to initial screening, then a new wait time from initial screening to seeing a doctor. Not the same metric is used. before one wait time: from when you enter until you see a doctor. New wait times: several depending on where in the trip to the doctor you are in. gives a false sense of shortened wait times.

Cons dropped the ******* ball on this- they needed to do this in an orderly fashion with the required resources and proper planning, not some ideologically driven agenda item to appease their base- it's people's health, they should treat it as such. 17 years of NDP was working better than now. it wasn't great, but it wasn't chaos. 

I've said before it's not what they are trying to do, it's how they are going about it.  Pallister should have learned this from his time under Filmon, who now admits that they went too far, too fast with their changes in the 90's. 

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I've said before it's not what they are trying to do, it's how they are going about it.  Pallister should have learned this from his time under Filmon, who now admits that they went too far, too fast with their changes in the 90's. 

True- I applaud them for trying, but admonish them for the way they are doing it.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Slightly off topic but I think Canada needs to move to a mixed public/private system like most of the world (see Australia and NZ). It'll never happen but it should.

Fair comment. Are you meaning a P^3? Public private partnerships or a government system and a private system? 

Now, why do you think that?

This could be it's own thread possibly.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

6 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Fair comment. Are you meaning a P^3? Public private partnerships or a government system and a private system? 

Now, why do you think that?

This could be it's own thread possibly.

Government and Private.

I'd prefer that because I honestly think the system we currently have is not sustainable from a monetary perspective. Additionally, I know that many nations who have higher ranked healthcare systems have systems like this. Anecdotally, I have friends who've worked in both the Canadian and Australian systems who have mentioned how much better the system in Australia is.

28 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Slightly off topic but I think Canada needs to move to a mixed public/private system like most of the world (see Australia and NZ). It'll never happen but it should.

having lived in Australia I can definitely say that there are some major advantages to their system. 

2 hours ago, Zontar said:

PM blocks criminal investigation into his personal conduct because of an election in which he is running. RCMP shrugs. 

Canada-a banana republic with snow.

Not surprisingly - baloney.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elections/baloney-meter-is-the-rcmp-investigating-people-in-the-pmo-over-snc-lavalin/ar-AAH9yE3

MSN just can't make up their mind,

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/ottawa-blocked-the-rcmp-from-investigating-the-snc-scandal-26-people-are-blaming-trudeau/ar-AAH8QM

The SNC-Lavalin scandal continues to follow the Liberals. On Sept. 11, the Globe and Mail reported that the Federal Government had blocked the RCMP from fully investigating the SNC-Lavalin case. The news comes just as the Prime Minister is about to call the federal election. According to the report from Daniel Leblanc and Robert Fife, key members of Trudeau's cabinet have been blocked from answering any questions from the RCMP about the SNC-Lavalin case. The Liberal government has apparently refused to lift cabinet confidentiality from certain witnesses and evidence.

Now a green candidate has had to resign because of posting Islamophobic content on his FB page. That make Green, Liberal and NDP candidates all resigning because of racist comments. Some of you aren't going to have anyone left to vote for because now every party is linked to racists activities.

36 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

....and so it begins.  Remember we were told the Conservatives were going to do this a couple of months ago, unfortunately most people forget.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/05/17/news/postmedia-lobbies-get-involved-jason-kenneys-oilpatch-war-room

"Postmedia has hired a lobbying firm with close ties to Alberta Premier Jason Kenney in order to participate in the United Conservative Party government's new $30 million public relations "war room" in support of oil and gas companies."

Nick Koolsbergen, previously Kenney's chief of staff and campaign director in the UCP's winning 2019 campaign, founded the new lobbying firm, Wellington Advocacy in early May, a few weeks after the Alberta election. Not long after, he filed a report with the Alberta Lobbyists Registry, indicating his firm was hired "to discuss ways Postmedia could be involved in the government's energy war room."

A spokeswoman for Postmedia, which operates Canada's largest chain of newspapers including the Sun newspaper chain, said on Friday that the lobbying was related to a commercial division of the media company, separate from its editorial staff. This commercial division produces advertising content that appears in its publications in what is known as advertorials — ads that resemble news articles and other editorial content."

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

Now a green candidate has had to resign because of posting Islamophobic content on his FB page. That make Green, Liberal and NDP candidates all resigning because of racist comments. Some of you aren't going to have anyone left to vote for because now every party is linked to racists activities.

Did those people get dropped by the party or were they promoted to form the parties leader's senior staff?

How the party responds is very telling.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

....and so it begins.  Remember we were told the Conservatives were going to do this a couple of months ago, unfortunately most people forget.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/05/17/news/postmedia-lobbies-get-involved-jason-kenneys-oilpatch-war-room

"Postmedia has hired a lobbying firm with close ties to Alberta Premier Jason Kenney in order to participate in the United Conservative Party government's new $30 million public relations "war room" in support of oil and gas companies."

Nick Koolsbergen, previously Kenney's chief of staff and campaign director in the UCP's winning 2019 campaign, founded the new lobbying firm, Wellington Advocacy in early May, a few weeks after the Alberta election. Not long after, he filed a report with the Alberta Lobbyists Registry, indicating his firm was hired "to discuss ways Postmedia could be involved in the government's energy war room."

A spokeswoman for Postmedia, which operates Canada's largest chain of newspapers including the Sun newspaper chain, said on Friday that the lobbying was related to a commercial division of the media company, separate from its editorial staff. This commercial division produces advertising content that appears in its publications in what is known as advertorials — ads that resemble news articles and other editorial content."

Unfortunately $30 million is nothing compared to the billions of dollars from US "environmental groups" who fund all of the law-suits that tie up Canadian oil and gas pipeline development indefinitely, leaving this giant pool of cheap energy for the US to exploit.  And the people here in Canada just fall for it over and over and over again.  I support some kind of action to counter the nonsense from foreign interests, but $30 million ain't nearly enough.