Canadian Politics

20 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Because it’s a proven draconian approach that just creates more administration and less actual teaching. 

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/oecd-404869006.html

Well, I couldn't find anything more recent but it seems clear that Manitoba has failed compared to other provinces. Why not try what is working elsewhere in the country?

14 minutes ago, pigseye said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/oecd-404869006.html

Well, I couldn't find anything more recent but it seems clear that Manitoba has failed compared to other provinces. Why not try what is working elsewhere in the country?

Because of completely different socio economic conditions.  MB vs NS?

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

51% voter turned out according to my aunt, before I went to bed it was less than 31

I think a sense of inevitability combined with a lack of a major change issue and less people wanting to hold their nose and vote for Wab.  

PC's a bit soft which they should be cognizant of.  Without debating the early call, probably deserving of more time to initiative their vision.

Was a little off in my predictions. Those Greens can't get a break! 

Wheeler gets 237 votes in McPhillips...

Didn't watch much election coverage, but did catch an in-studio interview at CBC where they interviewed a 'former social worker' who appeared to be in her early 20s (at least she dressed and spoke like she was). She lamented the PC victory, and said that they were going to cause people to 'start dying in ER waiting rooms'. Um, maybe pick up an old newspaper or something...

Edited by nate007

26 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Was a little off in my predictions. Those Greens can't get a break! 

Wheeler gets 237 votes in McPhillips...

Didn't watch much election coverage, but did catch an in-studio interview at CBC where they interviewed a 'former social worker' who appeared to be in her early 20s (at least she dressed and spoke like she was). She lamented the PC victory, and said that they were going to cause people to 'start dying in ER waiting rooms'. Um, maybe pick up an old newspaper or something...

The NDP were pretty disingenuous about ER's.  Firstly, they cant speak on health care after their 17 years in power.  I can appreciate a debate over Urgent Care vs ER's but I felt they werent being honest.  Trying to make it seem like those buildings were closed down.  I've had family go to Victoria Hsp Urgent Care just as they always did when it was an ER.  

Who was in power when people died in ER's....?

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The NDP were pretty disingenuous about ER's.  Firstly, they cant speak on health care after their 17 years in power.  I can appreciate a debate over Urgent Care vs ER's but I felt they werent being honest.  Trying to make it seem like those buildings were closed down.  I've had family go to Victoria Hsp Urgent Care just as they always did when it was an ER.  

Yeah reflecting on that is a difficult one. Anyone that works in health care can clearly see how things have gotten exponentially worse for providing care in the last three years. But how do you make that argument, and make it tangible without referencing the ER closures/restructuring/whatever you want to call it.

It's the behind the scenes stuff - rampant OT, experienced care providers saying **** it and retiring, cutting of basic services, putting pressure extra pressure on those still remaining, forced restructuring votes, general quality of care that has gone to crap that are the real issues that are hard to get across to people that don't stop to think or analyse (looking for the sound bite).

23 minutes ago, itchy said:

Yeah reflecting on that is a difficult one. Anyone that works in health care can clearly see how things have gotten exponentially worse for providing care in the last three years. But how do you make that argument, and make it tangible without referencing the ER closures/restructuring/whatever you want to call it.

It's the behind the scenes stuff - rampant OT, experienced care providers saying **** it and retiring, cutting of basic services, putting pressure extra pressure on those still remaining, forced restructuring votes, general quality of care that has gone to crap that are the real issues that are hard to get across to people that don't stop to think or analyse (looking for the sound bite).

Interestingly the couple people I know in health care would disagree, feeling the plan has a lot of merit.  Needs better execution.  The change from ER to urgent care impacts very few.  Rural health care is arguably improved significantly.  17 years of NDP was rough.  Going to take more than 3 years to fix.  

44 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Interestingly the couple people I know in health care would disagree, feeling the plan has a lot of merit.  Needs better execution.  The change from ER to urgent care impacts very few.  Rural health care is arguably improved significantly.  17 years of NDP was rough.  Going to take more than 3 years to fix.  

Where I notice the biggest difference is in long term care. ER and Urgent care get the attention, and thus not as adversely affected. I have noticed a de-centralization effort, that has some benefits and drawbacks.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I was specifically referencing Brian Sinclair, so that was during the NDP's time.

We're pretty close to the Vic, and it was still fantastic the last time someone in the family needed stitches. The bottom line is that if you didn't call 911 and aren't riding in an ambulance, you probably don't need an ER and an Urgent Care will serve you just fine. All the people complaining about needing to 'drive all the way across the city' for an ER are either mis-informed, mis-using them, or (were) using scare tactics to try to get votes.