Canadian Politics

3 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I am still pissed that the conservatives promised to reduce the PST- which they did, three years later... for political reasons... that cost me roughly $3000+ and most Manitobans $2400 ($800/yr as per conservative estimates for the average manitoban). **** pallister. 

Reducing a consumption tax is pretty much sheer stupidity.  A consumption tax is the fairest form of taxation. 

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Canadians seem to worry about deficits and the Yankees run up 1trillion/yr and dont give a damn.

I suppose we’d rather not get bought out by China. 

I mean, all of sudden you just didn't hear anymore about Greece - China now quietly owns a chunk of their coastline. 

On 2019-08-24 at 9:05 AM, Mark H. said:

Whatever point Pallister was trying to make, he needed to be a little more media savvy and just keep his mouth shut.

I also think their ads on Kinew are a mistake, they will backfire. 

You think Kinew has a hope? But I agree with you.......

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/election-leaders-1.5260586

The "vote for me because the other guy is scary," nana-nana-poo-poo stuff I just find useless. That Trudeau has family wealth and privilege, and that his previous job was teaching drama at a high school, are not serious considerations, either, any more than the fact that Scheer has lived in government housing for half of his political career and his previous job was selling insurance.

Nailed it. This upcoming federal election is going to be a lame one.

36 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Love this idea. If taxes are paying for your healthcare, then there should be extra taxes on the things that you voluntarily consume that lead to you requiring more healthcare.

https://www.chrisd.ca/2019/08/27/manitoba-green-party-sweet-drinks-sweet-drinks-tax/#.XWV3E_lKhpg

Works with smoking and alcohol. I am good with those.

3 hours ago, nate007 said:

PCs pledge to phase out school taxes from property tax bills...

Can't happen fast enough!

MB. is the last province that still has this - we are literally a dinosaur. I don't think any of us will pay less taxes overall (ha ha) but this will lead to more equity in educational funding.