Canadian Politics

38 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

To all of you Manitobans: In the coming provincial election, you can elect to decline your ballot.

TBH I think Pallister will get another mandate.  That being the case, I’d would prefer that my riding (Selkirk) elect a PC MLA.  With the new boundaries, Selkirk has become a swing riding, so good reason to get out and vote. 

26 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

TBH I think Pallister will get another mandate.  That being the case, I’d would prefer that my riding (Selkirk) elect a PC MLA.  With the new boundaries, Selkirk has become a swing riding, so good reason to get out and vote. 

Politically speaking, I agree that'll be the likely result. Though the Conservatives have done some shady things in their tenure, such as intentionally manipulating their financial statements, resulting in a qualified (i.e., bad) audit opinion:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-deficit-lower-finance-1.4842239

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Lol. ok sure- I am convinced- your argument is solid.

Thank you.

You deride and rage with false indignation at the morality of JT and his ethics-

My indignation and the indignation of millions of Canadians is not false, I assure you. And neither should yours.

then you use an opinion piece by a convicted criminal and known liar and present it as facts... How can someone take that seriously?

I knew that you would just attack the source. Of course. Here's what Justin and his Tides pals need to take seriously:

With that said, it is hard to conceive of a more severely, amateurishly and sleazily bungled operation as this entire initiative, which all participants must have realized was one of acute sensitivity.

Once he realized that the-then justice minister, Ms. Jody Wilson-Raybould, was digging her heels in, he should have informed Parliament that he was revoking the decision in the national interest and the eminent domain of the federal government to exercise the remedies of justice prudently in calculating competing priorities of national revenue, humanitarian concerns to avoid unnecessary job layoffs, the desirability of retaining in Canada such a sophisticated international engineering company, and the direct fiscal interests of the junior jurisdictions, the country’s second-most populous province and second-largest city.

This would have been the open and appropriate way to do it, and though there would have been debate about it, Parliament would have supported the prime minister’s decision, and it would not have lingered as much of a controversy. It would have been Ms.Wilson-Raybould’s decision whether to resign or not on the principle involved, but there would not have been any move to expel her from the Liberal party unless she became extremely publicly abusive.

Regardless, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that- but not entitled to your own "facts". 

100% agree and I think that we are on the same page. Political organizations like Leadnow are not allowed to drive by smear people with disgusting assignations without consequences. Their evil lies are not "facts", and trying to sell them as such to prop up a lying unethical bozo like Justin Trudeau is really disingenuous. And morally reprehensible. 

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Politically speaking, I agree that'll be the likely result. Though the Conservatives have done some shady things in their tenure, such as intentionally manipulating their financial statements, resulting in a qualified (i.e., bad) audit opinion:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-deficit-lower-finance-1.4842239

Oh - I am aware of their proclivities and I don’t always vote Conservative.  But just as an example - I know for a fact the Highway 9 resurfacing project would probably have been delayed or scrapped, if we had elected an NDP MLA. 

11 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Thank you.

My indignation and the indignation of millions of Canadians is not false, I assure you. And neither should yours.

I knew that you would just attack the source. Of course. Here's what Justin and his Tides pals need to take seriously:

With that said, it is hard to conceive of a more severely, amateurishly and sleazily bungled operation as this entire initiative, which all participants must have realized was one of acute sensitivity.

Once he realized that the-then justice minister, Ms. Jody Wilson-Raybould, was digging her heels in, he should have informed Parliament that he was revoking the decision in the national interest and the eminent domain of the federal government to exercise the remedies of justice prudently in calculating competing priorities of national revenue, humanitarian concerns to avoid unnecessary job layoffs, the desirability of retaining in Canada such a sophisticated international engineering company, and the direct fiscal interests of the junior jurisdictions, the country’s second-most populous province and second-largest city.

This would have been the open and appropriate way to do it, and though there would have been debate about it, Parliament would have supported the prime minister’s decision, and it would not have lingered as much of a controversy. It would have been Ms.Wilson-Raybould’s decision whether to resign or not on the principle involved, but there would not have been any move to expel her from the Liberal party unless she became extremely publicly abusive.

100% agree and I think that we are on the same page. Political organizations like Leadnow are not allowed to drive by smear people with disgusting assignations without consequences. Their evil lies are not "facts", and trying to sell them as such to prop up a lying unethical bozo like Justin Trudeau is really disingenuous. And morally reprehensible. 

Aren’t you supposed to be staying out of this thread? 🤔

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

Aren’t you supposed to be staying out of this thread? 🤔

Everyone is supposed to be civil to each other in these threads, which I and everyone else seem to be doing, so I don't think there's a problem here.  I just don't like it when people lie to sell a political agenda.  To actually say that the biggest political party in Canada is run by racists is absurd, and morally reprehensible.  It's just not true.  There have to be consequences for spreading such hate.

Justin Trudeau was called a white supremacist terrorist by the group Black Lives Matter.  Does that automatically make him a terrorist?  Is this now a "fact" because some far left group said so?  I say no.  So why is this rule not applied equally to all leaders when these activist groups say such hateful untrue things?

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Everyone is supposed to be civil to each other in these threads, which I and everyone else seem to be doing, so I don't think there's a problem here.

I mean, the problem is that you gave your word you wouldn’t post in political threads anymore and I believe this is *the* political thread so ... 

5 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I just don't like it when people lie to sell a political agenda.  To actually say that the biggest political party in Canada is run by racists is absurd, and morally reprehensible.  It's just not true.  There have to be consequences for spreading such hate.

No one is lying here, here is the evidence, you just choose to ignore it- not the same as lying about it. There are racist ties to Sheerer's senior staff:

Hamish Marshall, Mr. Scheer's former campaign manager

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/scheer-walks-out-on-media-when-asked-about-campaign-managers-rebel-ties/article36610946/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Georganne Burke:

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/qvzznq/conservative-party-leadership-advisor-helped-create-anti-islam-organization

Stephen Taylor

https://www.bashirmohamed.com/blog/taylor

5 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Justin Trudeau was called a white supremacist terrorist by the group Black Lives Matter.  Does that automatically make him a terrorist?  Is this now a "fact" because some far left group said so?  I say no.  So why is this rule not applied equally to all leaders when these activist groups say such hateful untrue things?

There is a difference between what you said here and what I outlined above: one is just slander about JT from BLM, and is not a fact. What is outlined in the links above, are facts that Sheerer's senior staff have racist ties. Sheerer is willing to over look these racist ties in the upper echelon of the conservative party- I am unwilling to over look these racist ties. 

There are not lies- those are all facts. If you don't agree that's fine, but you need to provide better evidence and facts than " To actually say that the biggest political party in Canada is run by racists is absurd, and morally reprehensible.  It's just not true."  Indignation is a poor substitute for facts and evidence. 

18 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No one is lying here,

Yes, Leadnow is lying here.  It's disgusting.

18 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

here is the evidence, you just choose to ignore it- not the same as lying about it. There are racist ties to Sheerer's senior staff:

It's not evidence, it's nonsense.  It's no different than BLM calling Trudeau a white supremacist terrorist.  It's libel, and it's wrong

We've gone in enough circles on this.  You won't convince anyone but the most blindly partisan and gullible that there is "racism" in the Conservative party, just as BLM (no not Bo Levi Mitchell) will never convince those but the most blindly partisan that Justin Trudeau is a white supremacist terrorist.  

This back and forth is done.  If you want to "win" by doing one more response about the illusionary "facts" you claim exist, be my guest, but you're wrong.

I'm just going to continue to focus on Trudeau and the SNC Lavalin disaster.  And a massive disaster it is.

26 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yes, Leadnow is lying here.  It's disgusting.

I made no mention of leadnow in the post you are quoting. if you read the links I posted. what is disgusting?

It's not evidence, it's nonsense.   It's libel, and it's wrong

Ok, fair- you don't believe it is evidence, why is that? 

This back and forth is done.  If you want to "win" by doing one more response about the illusionary "facts" you claim exist, be my guest, but you're wrong.

Well, I am not wanting to "win" here. 

Illusionary facts I claim to exist? well yeah- those ties are real (as shown in those links you may want to read)- if they aren't please show me, instead of indignantly denouncing them without any sort of argument beyond you shouting down facts as "disgusting" and "libel", "absurd", 'morally reprehensible" and "It's just not true".  

Please refute the facts laid out here previously from Wideleft:

"Did Hamish Marshall co-found Rebel Media (an Alt-right media site) or not?  He did.   https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/scheer-walks-out-on-media-when-asked-about-campaign-managers-rebel-ties/article36610946/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Is Georganne Burke an outreach director for Scheer and did she form an anti-muslim group for Scheer?  Yes and yes.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/qvzznq/conservative-party-leadership-advisor-helped-create-anti-islam-organization

Is Stephen Taylor Scheer's Digital Director and is he involved in a racist discussion group.  Yup and it sure looks like it.

https://www.bashirmohamed.com/blog/taylor"

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Interesting stuff: in the last provincial election, there were 13 ridings that the NDP won by less than 500 votes, some by less than 100 votes.

These ridings were all Metro or Northern: eg. Concordia, Maples, and Flin Flon

Yes, the boundaries have changed, but any or all of those areas could swing PC.

Things are not looking good for the left-leaning orange men.

12 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Interesting stuff: in the last provincial election, there were 13 ridings that the NDP won by less than 500 votes, some by less than 100 votes.

Southdale riding should be interesting. Lot of orange in Windsor Park vs lot of Blue in Southdale.

18 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I have many connections into Provincial politics. Both sides of the line.

I have a regular contact who was very, very close to the power side of the NDP. He was convinced that the NDP would pick up many seats before the election was called. I don't think he's correct. I see the NDP, maybe, picking upup 1 to 2 seats, if they're lucky. 

Obviously, we're going to see another strong majority from the PCs this election. In four years, when Pallister is gone (and, yes, he is leaving in the next two years, as I said before) it will be interesting to see how the party changes. Who will lead them into the next eletion? 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I have many connections into Provincial politics. Both sides of the line.

I have a regular contact who was very, very close to the power side of the NDP. He was convinced that the NDP would pick up many seats before the election was called. I don't think he's correct. I see the NDP, maybe, picking upup 1 to 2 seats, if they're lucky. 

Obviously, we're going to see another strong majority from the PCs this election. In four years, when Pallister is gone (and, yes, he is leaving in the next two years, as I said before) it will be interesting to see how the party changes. Who will lead them into the next eletion? 

It would be nice to see the Liberals or Greens win more seats - balance things out a bit.

My home riding (Interlake - Selkirk) is going to be interesting. Selkirk is strong NDP country that elected PC last time. But the new riding now extends north all the way to Winnipeg Beach.  That whole area north of Selkirk used to be part of the Gimli riding.  As long as Peter Bjornson was running the riding stayed NDP, but it went PC last time.  

I think your friend is very wrong. I got my info from a very pro - NDP organization...even they are predicting a big PC win. 

9 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I think your friend is very wrong. I got my info from a very pro - NDP organization...even they are predicting a big PC win. 

Yes, he still thinks a big majority for the PCs but thought they would close the gap in Winnipeg, picking up several. That's not going to happen.

The PCs won in a lot of NPD strongholds last time. 

The Liberals are so 'efing disorganized and so are the Greens. There is no way they get much of anything. A bit disapppointng considering the huge opportunity they have had over the past two elections.