Canadian Politics

23 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, we do know what we're doing. It was time for the Spend Train with Notley as the engineer to be pulled into the station & put out of service. She was never going to win a 2nd term. You know the NDP were never going to get the economy moving again.

Everybody knew the UCP was going to win the election, including Kenney.  So why did he chose to cheat?  Did he think they would not get caught or does he not care either way?  Even after an investigation has revealed tons of dirt, Kenney will admit to none of it. 

'Kamikaze' Alberta UCP leadership candidate fined $70,000 for irregular donations"

Callaway ran a "kamikaze" campaign on behalf of Jason Kenney, now Alberta's premier. Kenney won the UCP leadership on Oct. 28, 2017, after the Alberta Progressive Conservative and Wildrose parties merged.

Callaway ran for the sole purpose of targeting Kenney's chief rival, former Wildrose leader Brian Jean, and then dropping out of the race to support Kenney.

Both men deny the allegations, but CBC News has obtained emails showing higher-ups in Kenney's campaign circle providing resources — strategic political direction, media and debate talking points, speeches, videos and attack advertisements — to the Callaway campaign.

There was a timeline for when Callaway would drop out of the campaign and throw his support behind Kenney.

Kenney's deputy chief of staff, Matt Wolf, even emailed a resignation speech to Callaway the day he dropped out of the leadership race.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jeff-callaway-kamikaze-commissioner-fines-1.5216446

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Kenney would have won with or without Callaway which is why I don't think he was as deeply  involved as some progressives are hoping. The thing that will make 17to85's head explode is most Albertans just don't care about this. It was a party leadership vote & not the election so it isn't flying as high on the radar as some want or hope.  It's non news to most people here.  From everything I have read & heard about this Callaway guy, who most Albertans don't know...  he was the former President of the Wild Rose Party & a real piece of work. Not a nice man. I think he bullied & pushed around a lot of people as Wild Rose President.  From what I understand, most UCP insiders aren't unhappy this is happening to him.  Except the bitter Wild Rosers who lost their nominations before the elections or power with the new UCP.  I have no doubt the guy is a crook & he's getting it now with nearly a hundred thousand dollars in fines.

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The thing that will make 17to85's head explode is most Albertans just don't care about this.

Oh no, I know that albertans are idiots already. They overwhelmingly voted a crook leading a party of losers into office hoping he can do the impossible.

Lost a lot of respect for an awful lot of people.

This is quite hilarious, Scheer is attacking the Canada Food Guide because it's recommending healthier food choices instead of pushing us towards the products of his backers devoid of scientific rational.

"The Canada Food Guide is based on evidence, based on science, based on research," Trudeau told reporters in Victoria on Thursday. 

"The process was flawed," Scheer said of the new guide. "Complete lack of consultation. Seems to be ideologically driven by people who have a philosophical perspective and a bias against certain types of healthy food products. So absolutely we want to get that right."

"Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, a professor at the University of Ottawa who specializes in obesity, said that the only explanation for Scheer's comments, which he described as "intensely stupid," is that they are meant to curry political favour.  It is biased in favour of health, evidence and science," he said in an interview. "And that is the way it should be.""

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-trudeau-canada-food-guide-1.5216957

And yet, he can manage to use common sense when it comes to an issue such as this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-trump-trudeau-racist-tweets-1.5215831

Federal Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says there is no place in society for comments such as the ones U.S. President Donald Trump has made about four Democratic congresswomen.

Scheer said he believes people should be free to criticize their governments without having their backgrounds questioned or being told to leave the country.

"I don't think there's any place in our society for intolerance or ... those kinds of divisive comments," Scheer said Wednesday when asked by reporters in Saskatoon where he was speaking to the Chamber of Commerce.

"People should be able to advocate for their views. They should be able to criticize their government. They should be able to advocate for their own ideas without having their background or their personal identity or where their family might come from questioned or in any way taken into account."

Good on him.

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

This is quite hilarious, Scheer is attacking the Canada Food Guide because it's recommending healthier food choices instead of pushing us towards the products of his backers devoid of scientific rational.

"The Canada Food Guide is based on evidence, based on science, based on research," Trudeau told reporters in Victoria on Thursday. 

"The process was flawed," Scheer said of the new guide. "Complete lack of consultation. Seems to be ideologically driven by people who have a philosophical perspective and a bias against certain types of healthy food products. So absolutely we want to get that right."

"Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, a professor at the University of Ottawa who specializes in obesity, said that the only explanation for Scheer's comments, which he described as "intensely stupid," is that they are meant to curry political favour.  It is biased in favour of health, evidence and science," he said in an interview. "And that is the way it should be.""

"healthier choices" - like not eating any meat.  Sorry, but that's not "healthier", that just agenda-driven nutritional opinion.  I would like to be consulted on this - let me tell you there would be a healthy amount of steak and bacon on the recommended list, and much less kale.

16 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

"healthier choices" - like not eating any meat.  Sorry, but that's not "healthier", that just agenda-driven nutritional opinion.  I would like to be consulted on this - let me tell you there would be a healthy amount of steak and bacon on the recommended list, and much less kale.

That's why you're a perfect representative of conservative party values, because you think your opinion trumps scientific evidence no matter the subject.   Don't worry, following the "food guide" isn't mandatory, feel free to continue to wash your Baconator down with Crown Royal.  😊

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

That's why you're a perfect representative of conservative party values, because you think your opinion trumps scientific evidence no matter the subject.   Don't worry, following the "food guide" isn't mandatory, feel free to continue to wash your Baconator down with Crown Royal.  😊

"Scientific evidence" - it's amazing to me how people can produce "scientific evidence" to support almost any agenda, no matter what it is.  I am sure that people could produce "scientific evidence" that smoking 4 packs of cigarettes every day is healthy.  Would I suspect that there was an agenda behind that?  Of course!  And I will continue to wash my Baconators down with Crown Royal, with my German friend Uder (can't remember that guy's name from the Wendy's commercials)...

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Scheer's argument has no merit whatsoever. It's a reckless attempt to politicize something that shouldn't be politicized - at all. The new food guide isn't about an agenda... unless getting people to eat healthier for a better quality of life somehow qualifies as such. 

And where does it state anywhere to not eat any meat? Oh, yeah... it doesn't. (https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/healthy-eating-recommendations/make-it-a-habit-to-eat-vegetables-fruit-whole-grains-and-protein-foods/eat-protein-foods/)

Whose opinion matters more on the subject of nutrition: educated, knowledgeable nutritional health experts or an ignorant, self-interested politician? The answer seems pretty obvious.

https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/

Edited by blue_gold_84
link added

41 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

unless getting people to eat healthier for a better quality of life somehow qualifies as such. 

If that were truly the goal I get it, but eating "plant based protein" is ridiculous.  People don't have 4 stomachs, and so we will never be able to extract the amount of protein required from "plant-based" protein without also taking supplements.  You will never convince me that reducing intake of actual meat and replacing it with plants is healthier, or will lead to a "better quality of life".  This is all about the agenda of the Left, which we see being pushed with "Meat-less Mondays" in schools etc.  I get it that that's the agenda, and Scheer "politicizing it" to me is more drawing attention to something that has already been politicized.  I get that it is a losing battle, and the media will gob all over Scheer for this, but oh well.  It's out there now.  Just add another patty to my Baconator and move on.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Actually. That is healthier. But, **** that- Safeway has prime rib steaks on for $15.35/kg.

On 2019-07-19 at 11:00 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Science and facts- the bane of the conservative party.

19 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Cons gotta cheat. It's their Modus operandi. 

SNC Lavalin, Norman Affair, Irving Shipbuilders being given word from the Feds when reporters ask the Feds questions about Irving's ship, Appointing judges with ties to party higher ups, I could go on or do you actually want to face the truth that the Liberals cheat?