Canadian Politics

35 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The entire thread serves as a great reminder of what we had prior to Trudeau.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1142648306163572736.html?fbclid=IwAR3bvApR5Eq_Z49uHBhqN96seOULOOLBkfG_kRYOrSWxwtalI-gYpiK3zLM

and why we need to rid of that Trudeau guy as our PM.  I'm sorry, but SNC Lavalin was unforgivable.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

and why we need to rid of that Trudeau guy as our PM.  I'm sorry, but SNC Lavalin was unforgivable.

Sure......I'm guessing you haven't read the thread or somehow think the Conservatives would have done anything different with SNC Lavalin.

They get irate if it is suggested they want to dismantle the Canada Health Act and throw us to the wolves of American Insurance "pay up or die" medicine. They don't like it when people express the opinion that conservatives only care about the wealthy and big corporations. 2/25

I hear so many people say, "Yeah, I vote conservative, but I have nothing against queers or brown people. I'm fiscally conservative and the conservatives are better managers of our money." 3/25

The thing is, in fact, the conservatives of late have been terrible financial stewards. Between them, Mulroney and Harper are responsible for the vast majority of Canada's national debt. 4/25

Did you know that Harper, in a desperate effort to produce an artificially balanced budget before the 2015 election, sold our GM stocks at a loss and sold off Canadian property (that's OUR property, not his) to put money in the coffers? 5/25

So, really, saying the conservatives are more fiscally responsible is not a defensible reason to vote for them. If you look at what else they do, not related to money, conservatives are incredibly hard on Canadians. Our neighbours, our families, our community. 6/25

Look at Ford's government, cutting assistance to families of children with autism. Cutting funding for health and education. cutting regulations designed to protect consumers, workers, and the environment... 7/25

Look at Kenney's government, only a month old, and already cutting protections for LGBTQ2S+ youth, denying public service employees (that's teachers and nurses among others) the right to negotiate their contracts. 8/25

Look at Pallister's government, throwing Manitoba's health care into chaos. 9/25

Both Ford and Kenney are denying the students of Ontario and Alberta (our children) access to sex-ed that is relevant to current issues like sexting, consent, even knowing the correct names for parts of their bodies. 10/25

And look back at Harper. What did Harper do? The list is very long. Destroyed science libraries, chose to visit pandas instead of meeting with First Nation's youth who had WALKED to Ottawa to meet with him... 11/25

Cut Veteran's services, cut Status of Women's offices, shut off acceptance of refugees, ignored MMIWG, removed protection from our lakes and waterways, sent our young men and women into a war zone that was not our war... 12/25

Prorogued parliament several times to save his own a$$. Tried to vilify the chief justice of the Supreme Court of Canada. Cut off media access. Only held town hall meetings that allowed vetted CPC supporters... 13/25

Fired and vilified whistle-blowers like Linda Keen and Richard Colvin. Was the only PM in Commonwealth history to be found in contempt of parliament. Wasted our money on Economic Action Plan billboards and ads... 14/25

Not to mention ads bought in Eastern Europe to tell Roma people they were not welcome in Canada. And ads in the US to promote the CPC and the pipelines. 15/25

He locked himself in a bathroom in a fit of pique while on an international trip. He had an unprecedented number of secret orders-in-council (25+) enacted, 8 during his last year in power.

He brought in draconian and unconstitutional sentencing laws that have been shown in other jurisdictions to be completely ineffective in making communities safer. Apparently to satisfy a primal urge for vengeance among his base. 17/25

He brought in boutique tax credits to pander to people who already had money and ignored those who didn't. He brought in a taxable child benefit. He suggested a "barbaric cultural practices tip-line" "Hey Old Stock Canadians! Report your ethnic neighbours!" 18/25

It was on his watch that @ArarMaher , an innocent man, was sent by the RCMP, via the US, to Syria to be tortured. That's just not right, but reflects a willingness to sacrifice human beings, 19/25

It reflects an absence of compassion or empathy. It reflect a callousness towards others that is alarming. When it comes down to it, that is a trademark of the current conservative parties. A callous disregard for the value of life unless the person is someone they... 20/25

Approve of or could be useful to them. And if you think the CPC is under new management, well, conservative insiders say Harper is still pulling the strings and running things from an un-elected position behind the scene. 21/25

Andrew Scheer hired Hamish Marshall, co-founder of the racist hate-propaganda site, The Rebel, as his campaign manager. Georgette Burke, founder of an anti-Islam group is one of his advisors, A Trump campaigner is running as a CPC candidate. 22/25

The CPC freely associate with racist/misogynist/homophobic groups. They want US gun laws and US nukes on our land. They cheat in elections. They show no regard for the environment. They pander to their base and their donors. No one else matters. 23/25

If you can know all this and still say you vote CPC because you are only fiscally conservative, you are saying one of two things. Hint: neither reflects well on you. 24/25

You are either saying you actually are a racist/homophobe/misogynist and it just makes you mad when other people know it, or you care more about money than people. There's no way around that. That's really sad. 25/25

41 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

You are either saying you actually are a racist/homophobe/misogynist and it just makes you mad when other people know it, or you care more about money than people. There's no way around that. That's really sad. 25/25

I'm not getting drawn into another one of these idiotic finger-pointing back and forths with team virtue signal.  All I'm saying is that Trudeau has to go.  What the Liberals did to Raybould was just awful and their lying about it was inexcusable.  If you don't agree, maybe you are the one who cares more about party loyalty than people.  I don't know, I'm trying to avoid judging people and labeling them, and instead, giving them the benefit of the doubt.  You may want to try it sometime.  Vote for Jagmeet or Mad Max or Elizabeth if the Conservatives are "too racist/homophobe/misogynist" for you.  There is a way around it.  

Bye!

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Various Canadian Governments have been way to cozy with SNC Lavalin for far too long.  Does not excuse the current government in anyway, but it also does not exonerate the Conservatives.

Harper sold AECL for only $15 million to SNC, plus promised to pay them $75 million to complete development on Candu 6.  How does that deal not stink to high heaven?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/aecl-sold-for-15m-to-snc-lavalin-1.985786

42 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm not getting drawn into another one of these idiotic finger-pointing back and forths with team virtue signal.  All I'm saying is that Trudeau has to go.  What the Liberals did to Raybould was just awful and their lying about it was inexcusable.  If you don't agree, maybe you are the one who cares more about party loyalty than people.  I don't know, I'm trying to avoid judging people and labeling them, and instead, giving them the benefit of the doubt.  You may want to try it sometime.  Vote for Jagmeet or Mad Max or Elizabeth if the Conservatives are "too racist/homophobe/misogynist" for you.  There is a way around it.  

Bye!

Your argument would at least be honest if you admitted to not caring one whit about Raybould, but I understand that's what's in the Conservative talking points memo.

I don't live in Manitoba, but I have relatives who work in the Manitoba Health Care system.  I think they would vehemently disagree with talking point number nine in your memo.  No one did more to throw health care in Manitoba into "chaos" then the NDP, according to them.  But hey, what do they know, they just work there. 

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I don't live in Manitoba, but I have relatives who work in the Manitoba Health Care system.  I think they would vehemently disagree with talking point number nine in your memo.  No one did more to throw health care in Manitoba into "chaos" then the NDP, according to them.  But hey, what do they know, they just work there. 

Maybe in their experience but I would put money on them being in the minority.  I've been working in this system for over 15 years and this is by far the most chaotic I have ever seen it.  It's not so much what they are trying to do but how they are going about doing it. 

Their plans (or lack their of) seem to go out the window all the time.  This seems to be the thought process:  "Things aren't going as well as we thought they would?  Ok, f**k it, let's double down by not only sticking with the plans that aren't working but speeding up the timeline for those changes,  That should fix things... or least get the changes in place by election time so the fallout won't be truly felt until after the votes are in".

36 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I actually live in Manitoba and have relatives and friends who work in the Health & Education systems.  They have a completely different opinion on this than your relatives as does anyone who is paying attention.

Also, if you had followed the first link to the unrolled thread, you would have caught this story referenced on the 9th point.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/st-boniface-emergency-room-patient-dies-1.5179640

Edited by Wideleft

23 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Maybe in their experience but I would put money on them being in the minority.  I've been working in this system for over 15 years and this is by far the most chaotic I have ever seen it.  It's not so much what they are trying to do but how they are going about doing it. 

Their plans (or lack their of) seem to go out the window all the time.  This seems to be the thought process:  "Things aren't going as well as we thought they would?  Ok, f**k it, let's double down by not only sticking with the plans that aren't working but speeding up the timeline for those changes,  That should fix things... or least get the changes in place by election time so the fallout won't be truly felt until after the votes are in".

Can't say that we should be horribly surprised at this outcome since Pallister named his head PR flack to run the Transformation Office.  Just goes to show that this was an exercise driven by politics rather than best practises. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/health-pc-government-pallister-reform-cuts-1.4089324

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

Can't say that we should be horribly surprised at this outcome since Pallister named his head PR flack to run the Transformation Office.  Just goes to show that this was an exercise driven by politics rather than best practises. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/health-pc-government-pallister-reform-cuts-1.4089324

OBV had quite the rep at P&P.

38 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Interesting.  Unlike others your take doesn't have the partisan spin.  I'll see what my side says when I come out to visit in the summer and ask about the planning or lack thereof.  Their main concern was with the rampant waste of resources, and overall mismanagement.  You get that no matter who is in charge, so that's not really a valid metric. There is 17 years of NDP that needs to be dealt with, and so it might be too much to expect to see big fixes coming so soon.

6 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Interesting.  Unlike others your take doesn't have the partisan spin.  I'll see what my side says when I come out to visit in the summer and ask about the planning or lack thereof.  Their main concern was with the rampant waste of resources, and overall mismanagement.  You get that no matter who is in charge, so that's not really a valid metric. There is 17 years of NDP that needs to be dealt with, and so it might be too much to expect to see big fixes coming so soon.

Pot_Meet_Kettle1284677099.jpg

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I live in Winnipeg. March 28, 2019 i was admitted to the St. Boniface Emergency Room. I was there for 4 days.  

I never left the emergency ward- they had no beds available for 4 days. 

at one point I spent an entire day in a ******* recliner in ER. Hooked up to monitor. Because the ER was FULL. 

Every single Nurse and Doctor I talked to was exhausted and working overtime or were planning on working overtime. Each one of them diplomatically told me that things were stressed and that I should contact my MLA and relate my experience to them. 

The Winnipeg health care system has been thrown into complete ******* Chaos because of the Conservative government. It wasn't perfect before- it is now an unsustainable monumental fuckup now. Thanks Conservatives.

But hey, what do I know- I just went through the system recently.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

49 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I actually live in Manitoba and have relatives and friends who work in the Health & Education systems.  They have a completely different opinion on this than your relatives as does anyone who is paying attention.

Also, if you had followed the first link to the unrolled thread, you would have caught this story referenced on the 9th point.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/st-boniface-emergency-room-patient-dies-1.5179640

No ****.... Chaos is in the title alone:

Mother died awaiting surgery amid crowded 'chaos' at St. Boniface ER, Manitoba woman says

"An internal memo sent to St. Boniface Hospital staff was leaked to Global News on June 13 and detailed "unsafe" and "critical" volumes of patients on Wednesday, June 12, when Madeliene was brought in."

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Thanks for sharing your first hand experience in regards to this monumental **** up.

18 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I live in Winnipeg. March 28, 2019 i was admitted to the St. Boniface Emergency Room. I was there for 4 days.  

I never left the emergency ward- they had no beds available for 4 days. 

at one point I spent an entire day in a ******* recliner in ER. Hooked up to monitor. Because the ER was FULL. 

Every single Nurse and Doctor I talked to was exhausted and working overtime or were planning on working overtime. Each one of them diplomatically told me that things were stressed and that I should contact my MLA and relate my experience to them. 

The Winnipeg health care system has been thrown into complete ******* Chaos because of the Conservative government. It wasn't perfect before- it is now an unsustainable monumental fuckup now. Thanks Conservatives.

But hey, what do I know- I just went through the system recently.

Congratulations, you participated in the "crisis" portion of the Conservative's health plan, you were supposed to come out of the experience cursing those over-worked doctors and the damn nurse's union, I hope this was not lost on you.

If you don't die in the meantime or they don't get booted out of office you might live long enough to get screwed over by the "solution" part of their health plan, which involves dying at home because you can't afford  access to the privatized hospital you just left.

The new right wing strategy is not to privatize or eliminate public services, but to make it harder for them to operate within their means in order to turn the public against them.  A side benefit is more profits in public hands.

Tory meddling could cost MPI millions, boost Autopac rates

PC directive extends insurance brokers' contract at rates board members viewed as excessive

The Pallister government has directed Manitoba Public Insurance to give complete control of its future online product sales to insurance brokers, a move that could cost the corporation an extra $23 million over five years and boost Autopac rates, according to documents obtained by the Free Press.

The documents, which include emails, letters, briefing notes and presentations, show repeated interventions by the Progressive Conservative government on behalf of brokers and shed light on why the Tory-appointed MPI board of directors sought a legal opinion last year to clarify its rights and responsibilities.

The savings in broker commissions for MPI could be huge depending on how the system were configured. If brokers were bypassed completely in online sales, the savings could total $237 million over five years, according to a presentation to the MPI board of directors, dated April 18. That would mean a 4.4 per cent reduction in basic Autopac rates.

If online product delivery were shared by brokers and MPI, the savings would be $91 million, according to the presentation by MPI staff. But if all online sales went through brokers — either through a broker website or by customers selecting a designated broker on the MPI site — the corporation would have to pay brokers an additional $23 million over five years (over and above the $84.5 million per year paid to them now), assuming the current compensation structure was retained.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/tory-meddling-could-cost-mpi-millions-boost-autopac-rates-511753682.html

51 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The new right wing strategy is not to privatize or eliminate public services, but to make it harder for them to operate within their means in order to turn the public against them.  A side benefit is more profits in public hands.

Tory meddling could cost MPI millions, boost Autopac rates

PC directive extends insurance brokers' contract at rates board members viewed as excessive

The Pallister government has directed Manitoba Public Insurance to give complete control of its future online product sales to insurance brokers, a move that could cost the corporation an extra $23 million over five years and boost Autopac rates, according to documents obtained by the Free Press.

The documents, which include emails, letters, briefing notes and presentations, show repeated interventions by the Progressive Conservative government on behalf of brokers and shed light on why the Tory-appointed MPI board of directors sought a legal opinion last year to clarify its rights and responsibilities.

The savings in broker commissions for MPI could be huge depending on how the system were configured. If brokers were bypassed completely in online sales, the savings could total $237 million over five years, according to a presentation to the MPI board of directors, dated April 18. That would mean a 4.4 per cent reduction in basic Autopac rates.

If online product delivery were shared by brokers and MPI, the savings would be $91 million, according to the presentation by MPI staff. But if all online sales went through brokers — either through a broker website or by customers selecting a designated broker on the MPI site — the corporation would have to pay brokers an additional $23 million over five years (over and above the $84.5 million per year paid to them now), assuming the current compensation structure was retained.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/tory-meddling-could-cost-mpi-millions-boost-autopac-rates-511753682.html

This on top of Hydro and healthcare... if there was a competent alternative- these assholes would be voted out so fast.

1. I don't believe our current healthcare model is sustainable in the future and that a mixed private/public system like most of the rest of the world uses would be better. See Australia, New Zealand for examples.

2. The Pallister government has clearly ****** up their plan to restructure the healthcare system.