Canadian Politics

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

YOU JUST VOTED FOR THEM! You can't claim to be against them when you are on here talking up the UCP. They embrace those assholes and anyone who voted for them endorsed it. So STFU with the moral high ground. You vote for parties that support those people you are an enabler and as bad as they are.

Shove it up your ass. I can vote anyway I want without your approval. Matter of fact, I don't give a **** what you think. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, pigseye said:

Well I've been middle class for the past 35 years and have lived under all 3 forms of the major parties and can tell you unequivocally that I have more disposable income under a Cons government than the other two.

Yeah, your anecdotal evidence is sure-fire proof of anything.

- Nobody Ever

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Shove it up your ass. I can vote anyway I want without your approval. Matter of fact, I don't give a **** what you think. 

Oh yeah you can vote for who ever you want, but I am free to point out your hypocrisy. You say you hate the religious zealots in conservative parties yet just voted for the biggest wing nut party I have ever seen. Can't complain about them while being such a booster for a party full of them.

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Oh yeah you can vote for who ever you want, but I am free to point out your hypocrisy. You say you hate the religious zealots in conservative parties yet just voted for the biggest wing nut party I have ever seen. Can't complain about them while being such a booster for a party full of them.

In my opinion, a vote is more than a vote.  It is where we set our "price" on various aspects of society vs self-interest.  Albertans made a choice on whether their own self-interest was more important than human rights, the environment, education and health care not realizing that these things are also in their self-interest.  The majority voted for a party that has no qualms about undermining democracy in their own party and has aligned with far right hate groups.  Voting for the UPC was essentially making a personal choice and naming the price a person was willing to pay to ignore these disturbing factors.

Manitobans will soon name their price.  Is a 1% pst cut really the price someone would pay to support a government that takes back $25 a month from the poorest in our society after the government just spent $173,000 trumpeting the tax cut?  In my mind, that's a moral failure and beyond the price I am willing to pay.

On 2019-04-17 at 12:57 PM, pigseye said:

Well I've been middle class for the past 35 years and have lived under all 3 forms of the major parties and can tell you unequivocally that I have more disposable income under a Cons government than the other two. It's you who are actually confused so let me explain. The liberals give the rich and the corporations the same tax cuts that the Cons do and they are the ones who off load it onto the middle class because they won't cut spending. The NDP just tax and tax and tax and don't care who or what you are and still can't balance a budget because they want to give anyone who applies a government union job.

So for the middle class, there is only one choice that will leave you with more disposable income in your pocket. 

Just curious, if you don't mind sharing, what is your annual salary (before taxes)?

On 2019-04-21 at 12:29 PM, Mark H. said:

As strange it may sound to some - the Manitoba NDP under Doer / Selinger did actually cut $ 1 billion in taxes, mostly income tax. 

and they also ran a balanced budget for most of Doer's time as Premier.

people "believe" what they want to, and ignore facts. NDP means out of control spending, Conservative = fiscal responsibility. no need to check the facts.

Conservative party Harper-led governments ran a string of six straight deficits between 2008-09 and 2013-14.

6 hours ago, Mark F said:

and they also ran a balanced budget for most of Doer's time as Premier.

people "believe" what they want to, and ignore facts. NDP means out of control spending, Conservative = fiscal responsibility. no need to check the facts.

Conservative party Harper-led governments ran a string of six straight deficits between 2008-09 and 2013-14.

**** Harper.

For JT to be as shamelessly obstructive as Harper- he will have to wait until there is motion to investigate his obstruction- then as the bill is moving through system- Prorogue Parliament and make it go away. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

On 2019-04-21 at 12:29 PM, Mark H. said:

As strange it may sound to some - the Manitoba NDP under Doer / Selinger did actually cut $ 1 billion in taxes, mostly income tax. 

Did those cuts offset the increased and expanded PST? They also froze the basic personal exemption for years, which is effectively a tax hike on low-income folks. Not defending the current gov, just pointing out that they all have flaws.

32 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Did those cuts offset the increased and expanded PST? They also froze the basic personal exemption for years, which is effectively a tax hike on low-income folks. Not defending the current gov, just pointing out that they all have flaws.

Absolutely - they froze the basic personal exemption, which made no sense at all. Gouge low income folks to generate pennies for the government.  

A far as I know, a point on the PST is pocket change compared to the other cuts that were made. It is definitely pocket change compared to the increase in transfer payments the Palister government has received from Ottawa. 

Ontario Con's cutting education, but hey - tailgate parties and buck a beer (which failed).

#BREAKING: @osstf says “Near North District School Board, headquartered in the riding of Finance Minister @VictorFedeli, will be issuing redundancy notices to 121 of the approximately 240 high school teachers employed by the board.” #ONpoli https://t.co/rQGd4gk41P

— Travis Dhanraj (@Travisdhanraj) April 23, 2019

Edited by Wideleft

16 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Ontario Con's cutting education, but hey - tailgate parties and buck a beer (which failed).

#BREAKING: @osstf says “Near North District School Board, headquartered in the riding of Finance Minister @VictorFedeli, will be issuing redundancy notices to 121 of the approximately 240 high school teachers employed by the board.” #ONpoli https://t.co/rQGd4gk41P

— Travis Dhanraj (@Travisdhanraj) April 23, 2019

Wait.... are they cutting more than 50% of current teachers?

4 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

How were they involved- which other councilors? 

Not in the actual scam... Just in tweeting out responses to it without fact checking. Marty Morantz was one... Basically the Jewish ones really. 

Edited by Goalie

5 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

not surprised at the move- it's on brand. Surprised at the percentage though- that is kind of insane. 40 students per classroom acceptable nowadays?

When you average everything out and include teacher librarians, resource teachers, principals, counsellors et. al. you have approx. 13 - 14 students per teacher in Manitoba.  However, there are many Highschool classes with 30+ students. 

Teaching highschool has had a stigma attached to it for decades - we are seen as having far easier jobs than the other positions. 

16 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

When you average everything out and include teacher librarians, resource teachers, principals, counsellors et. al. you have approx. 13 - 14 students per teacher in Manitoba.  However, there are many Highschool classes with 30+ students. 

Teaching highschool has had a stigma attached to it for decades - we are seen as having far easier jobs than the other positions

Yeah- that is bullshit, teaching is hard work at any level. Every tier has its own set of challenges.