Canadian Politics

23 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Careful, he's going to sue you now.

6 months before an election you want a story to fade away ...then you throw a potential lawsuit into the mix...you're not giving a story more oxygen..you're pumping it full of steroids.

You are so dumb, Liberals.

Edited by Zontar

28 minutes ago, Zontar said:

6 months before an election you want a story to fade away ...then you throw a potential lawsuit into the mix...you're not giving a story more oxygen..you're pumping it full of steroids.

You are so dumb, Liberals.

He clearly has fewer effective advisors monitoring and mentoring him at this point - the real Trudeau is being exposed.

Per the WFP...

Progressive Conservative MLA Nic Curry has become embroiled in a controversy involving inappropriate behaviour with female staff.

Multiple government and party sources confirmed the rookie Kildonan MLA — who surprised political observers last week by announcing he was leaving politics after one term — has been the subject of two separate complaints by female staff for using sexual language in their presence.

Wow!

"Documents obtained by CBC News show email addresses fraudulently attached to Alberta's United Conservative Party (UCP) memberships were used to cast ballots in the party's leadership race, which Jason Kenney won in 2017.

There were virtually no safeguards against the practice.

From a sample of 49 email addresses selected by CBC News, due to suspicious domains, from a list of over 100,000 UCP members, 31 were used to cast votes in the leadership vote."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ucp-leadership-voter-fraud-membership-lists-data-1.5091952

Double Wow!

"The audit of the vote was conducted by Dorward & Co., an accounting firm with offices in Calgary and Edmonton that was founded by David Dorward, a UCP candidate in Edmonton-Gold Bar."

Edited by Wideleft

Eleven Ignored Issues that Albertans Should Think about Before They Vote

Most critically it must decide: will its future be sticker or boomer?

• "Between 2000 and 2017, annual revenue from royalties collapsed by 59 per cent — $9.5 billion — while oil production rose by 112 per cent during the same period."
  • "Louisiana, a major U.S. oil-dependent state, has done such a poor job of collecting and saving revenue from oil production that it introduced a sales tax rate of 4.45 per cent in 2016 to avoid a “fiscal cliff.”"
  • "Alberta has no real plan for addressing a hidden fiscal crisis: unfunded oil and gas liabilities worth at least $260 billion. The province, for example, has only $200 million in security deposits to cover the abandonment and reclamation of hundreds of thousands of wells."
  • "The recent Canada’s Changing Climate Report mentions Alberta more than 60 times. In 2013, extreme rainfall caused a flood that cost the province billions. In 2016, extreme drought caused a massive wildfire in Fort McMurray costing the province billions more."
  • "According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), a conservative group, almost every major oil-producing state faces a tempestuous future. Last year the IEA estimated that if low oil prices continued, net income from oil and gas would never recover to its 2010-15 levels, “leading to a cumulative $7-trillion reduction over the period to 2040” in government revenues for the world’s petro states. The IEA recommended that oil-exporting states invest heavily in renewables, end all fossil fuel consumption subsidies and invest in adding value to hydrocarbons."

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2019/04/12/Eleven-Ignored-Issues-Albertans-Should-Think-About/

I think their worst mistake in Alberta in retrospect, is going to be not having used some of their oil money to transition to the next energy economy.

They have everything needed there to do so, finance, energy expertise, skilled labour force, and just haven't done it. 

Bad combination of poor governance / planning, Oil company greed, and citizen complacency.

Edited by Mark F

UPDATE: Peterborough police say they won't charge neo-Nazi Kevin Goudreau, who called for "Lone Wolf actions," asking his supporters to murder us, gov. workers, anti-racists, and journalists. #cdnpoli https://t.co/GtHG7QVTYY pic.twitter.com/Q2Ev42E4RO

— Canadian Anti-Hate Network (@antihateca) April 12, 2019

Edited by Wideleft

Why is conservative politics such a natural home for white supremacists?: Neil Macdonald

"Why is it that white supremacists, from the neo-Nazis who threw celebratory salutes the night of his election, to former KKK leader David Duke, to the Charlottesville torchbearers, to the New Zealand murderer, or Cesar Sayoc, the Florida bodybuilder who sent explosives to Trump's critics in 2018, gravitate right, rather than left? Why is conservative politics such a natural home for white supremacists?

Canadian conservatives might ask themselves the same question. Rather than whining about how unfair it is that Liberals are associating Andrew Scheer with Faith Goldy — an obvious white supremacist (a label she rejects) who proudly advocates for "European identity" and "white identity," and who has contributed to a neo-Nazi podcast — they could instead reflect on why in heaven's name he appeared on her online diatribe show two years ago."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/conservative-politics-1.5099222

47 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Hey the white supremacists flock to conservative parties, it is a worthwhile debate to ask why that is and what it is that the conservative parties are doing to make these ignorant types support them.

For the same reason gun freaks vote Con. For the same just-generally-angry people vote Con. For the same reason anti-tax people vote Con.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

9 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Thanks for the insight Neil...

Now do communists, marxists, trotskyites, syndicalists, anarachists, antifa, Sikh terrorists and their default political parties of choice.

Actually- yeah, that would be interesting to see. I could see all three parties being of interest to one or more of those groups. 

8 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

so their reporting is false? 

Generalizing like that, yes.  But if people don't think there aren't racists & white supremacists in the Liberals & NDP then they are naïve.  I vote Conservative & always have since I turned 18. I'm no racist or white supremacist. I personally don't know any Conservative who is. I resent being lumped in with any idiot social conservative as I'm not one myself. If it was up to me I'd throw every wingnut out who used religion to espouse views of hatred. And Faith Goldie is human trash that should be taken out with the garbage. 

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Generalizing like that, yes.  But if people don't think there aren't racists & white supremacists in the Liberals & NDP then they are naïve.  I vote Conservative & always have since I turned 18. I'm no racist or white supremacist. I personally don't know any Conservative who is. I resent being lumped in with any idiot social conservative as I'm not one myself. If it was up to me I'd throw every wingnut out who used religion to espouse views of hatred. And Faith Goldie is human trash that should be taken out with the garbage. 

Sorry- It is an opinion piece, you're right I shouldn't be quoting it as reporting. 

My Apologies. 

I don't think the writer is trying to say that all conservatives are white nationalists, but that white nationalists will gravitate towards conservative parties. I think he is trying to say that: Not most conservatives are white nationalists, but most white nationalists are conservatives. 

I think there are a lot of conservatives who think like you do- wanting to purge your party of this scum, and I applaud you for it.