Canadian Politics

The thinking by many that this should be ignored because SCN Lavolin has been around for a long time and 'the Conservatives did it too' really irks me.  I don't give a rip if it's been going on since John A's Pacific Scandal, it has come to light because someone did the right thing for a change, and should be treated as such. 

And the plot thickens:

https://buffalochronicle.com/2019/02/27/trudeau-still-wont-let-wilson-raybould-talk-about-bmo-kinder-morgan-or-brison-at-house-hearings/?fbclid=IwAR1O_ws1cWlxrtpqB6lsf1o5DQLu1Jf0E9szg_q-pzQGAgaGKAB31CXotAk

When it became apparent that Wilson-Raybould would be unwilling to offer a deferred prosecution agreement to BMO and other worried corporate actors, on grounds similar to her refusal to offer such an agreement to SNC Lavalin, Trudeau was terrified that the scandal could take down his government. By late December, he became determined to remove Wilson-Raybould at all costs.

Trudeau’s now infamous cabinet shuffle was announced on January 10, and by February 14 Brison was hired by BMO Capital Markets as Vice Chairman of the firm’s investment banking business.  Opposition committee members want Trudeau’s former Principal Secretary, Gerald Butts, who is rumored to have played a role in arranging Brison’s ‘soft-landing’, to testify as well.

Warren Kinsella

THE “FEMINIST” PMO WOULDN’T BE STUPID ENOUGH TO FORCE FEMALE LIBERAL MPS TO PUBLISH IDENTICAL “PERSONAL” MESSAGE OF SUPPORT, WOULD THEY?

Well, actually, they would be that stupid. They are that stupid.

Spotted by my sharp-eyed pal Sean Craig: PMO told female Liberal MPs to post personal messages about what a swell feminist he is – presumably to offset the growing Celina controversy. Except a couple of the MPs just did a cut and paste. Oops!

The next thing you know, they’ll be lining up all kinds of people to write op-eds!

On 2019-03-08 at 9:46 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

My buddy works for the Province.  Im sure he'd be thrilled to see a buy out.  I love to hear how much everyone working in his office misses the NDP while he also tells me he's really bored with little to do all day.  

What department is he with? My wife is under Child and Family Services and they're understaffed. The stress level in their office is out of control. Hopefully the gov't can re-distribute some of the excess staffing budget from your buddy's department to hers.

47 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

What department is he with? My wife is under Child and Family Services and they're understaffed. The stress level in their office is out of control. Hopefully the gov't can re-distribute some of the excess staffing budget from your buddy's department to hers.

Parks.  From what I understand they might be planning to reduce staff through retirements but some of his stories definitely come across like they miss he NdP because they benefitted but if they were on the outside looking in they wouldn’t feel the same way. 

Ive got a friend in nursing who would probably miss the ndp too. 

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

My wife department could use the excess staff as well - although she does admit there are a couple "problem employees" that current and past management have just kind of stuck in a corner, letting them dwiddle their thumbs rather than deal with them correctly.  People like my wife end up picking up the slack for those guys and it just creates animosity in the office.

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Parks.  From what I understand they might be planning to reduce staff through retirements but some of his stories definitely come across like they miss he NdP because they benefitted but if they were on the outside looking in they wouldn’t feel the same way. 

Ive got a friend in nursing who would probably miss the ndp too. 

One trick the PC's like to use to reduce the workforce is re-classification.  They'll change your designation (but not necessarily your job) so they can reduce your pay.  People aren't thrilled with the idea of doing the same job for less pay so they leave.  At least in one case where the PC's did this in the past (at lotteries), some people were offered buy-outs if they weren't willing to accept the re-classification. 

They are currently doing this in my wife's office but in lieu of a buy-out, they are offering salary protection for 2 years if you end up getting moved to a lower classification.  It will have the same effect though, just not as quickly.  People will leave but now they have some time to look for other work.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

One trick the PC's like to use to reduce the workforce is re-classification.  They'll change your designation (but not necessarily your job) so they can reduce your pay.  People aren't thrilled with the idea of doing the same job for less pay so they leave.  At least in one case where the PC's did this in the past (at lotteries), some people were offered buy-outs if they weren't willing to accept the re-classification. 

They are currently doing this in my wife's office but in lieu of a buy-out, they are offering salary protection for 2 years if you end up getting moved to a lower classification.  It will have the same effect though, just not as quickly.  People will leave but now they have some time to look for other work.

Desk audits would be far more common if the Civil Service Commission had the capacity to do so. But, they're so short staffed that they can't even keep up with basic recruitment. It takes six months to get a positioned filled, if you're lucky. 

One of the ways managers were able to retain staff in the past would be to change the position descriptions in order to get them reclassified up, even if they were not performing all the duties. Now, all those people are vulnerable to have their positions re-classed back down. 

This government has also decreased the amount of supervisors and managers by realigning a lot of offices so more people are reporting to fewer people.

The two year salary protection has been part of collective agreement. I'm not sure whether they'll maintain that policy while a new agreement is being negotiated on good faith. I'm going to guess they are. Not so for the no-layoff clause. 

23 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

My wife department could use the excess staff as well - although she does admit there are a couple "problem employees" that current and past management have just kind of stuck in a corner, letting them dwiddle their thumbs rather than deal with them correctly.  People like my wife end up picking up the slack for those guys and it just creates animosity in the office.

I've heard this sad story so many times, such an enormous waste of tax payer's money to continue paying people who basically hate their jobs and are non-functional but are fully committed to collecting their guaranteed salary and pension plans.  They milk the hell out of the system and max. out all the benefits they feel entitled to with little concern for being non-productive entities.  The cushions built in to protect these govt. employees from severance are ridiculous, I can't see this behaviour being tolerated in the private sector for long as the salary drawn would be coming out of specific individual's pockets who would not tolerate such utter waste.  

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah, that's definitely a thing in gov't unions.

I can only speak from my family's experiences, but my Federal office workplace is infinitely better than what my wife has to deal with with the province. They're under the constant threat of "restructuring". Her manager is never around, b/c she's been given multiple additional duties due to "restructuring". My wife's supervisor retired, so now she's doing her job, as well as her old job, and was only bumped up one level on the payscale. People are taking more sick days due to stress, and nearly every day at least one person in the office is crying. It's crazy.

Edited by sweep the leg

It just keeps on getting better for the Liberals, I don't think an op-ed is going to save them

The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development's working group on bribery said in a statement Monday that it is "concerned" by accusations that Trudeau and staff in his office tried to get former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to let the Quebec engineering giant negotiate a remediation agreement rather than pursue the firm on criminal charges of bribery and fraud.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/oecd-trudeau-snc-lavalin-1.5051446?post_id=noID

19 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Yeah, that's definitely a thing in gov't unions.

I can only speak from my family's experiences, but my Federal office workplace is infinitely better than what my wife has to deal with with the province. They're under the constant threat of "restructuring". Her manager is never around, b/c she's been given multiple additional duties due to "restructuring". My wife's supervisor retired, so now she's doing her job, as well as her old job, and was only bumped up one level on the payscale. People are taking more sick days due to stress, and nearly every day at least one person in the office is crying. It's crazy.

I can relate to this pretty well. I'm employed by the feds and my workplace seems much, much better compared to my sister's, who is employed by the province. Her position is currently being threatened because the province is contemplating restructuring her department. She and her colleagues are not happy - and understandably so. I complain about my job as I'm sure most do but her situation sounds way, way worse.