Canadian Politics

The thing that pisses me off the most is that this is all about 9000 jobs.... well what about all the jobs lost in Alberta because of the political interference in pipeline projects? Why doesn't that matter? 

Oh yeah, Quebec vs. Alberta. How silly of me to forget that. People wonder why Alberta refuses to vote for Liberals. Like father like son. 

Even the New York Times is turning on the Canadian show-pony that they were all ga-ga for only a short while ago.  Yikes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/opinion/canada-scandal-justin-trudeau.html

It’s no coincidence that she was replaced at the justice ministry by David Lametti, a member of Parliament from Montreal who even now has not ruled out saving SNC-Lavalin with a Deferred Prosecution Agreement. The rule of law is a very grand Canadian virtue until, it seems, it proves to be a barrier to Liberal electoral prospects in Quebec. It is a small country, after all.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

6 minutes ago, pigseye said:

I missed the entire Butts interview, did anyone ask him why he resigned? and if so, what was his answer. 

On why he decided to leave the government

Randy Boissonnault (Liberal): Mr. Butts, if you did nothing wrong, why did you resign?

Butts: … I think I was put in a position where I had to ask my colleagues to fight another colleague over accusations a colleague was making, and I think that put the prime minister in an impossible position given the nature of our friendship.

https://nationalpost.com/news/if-you-did-nothing-wrong-why-did-you-resign-what-mps-asked-gerald-butts

On ‎2019‎-‎03‎-‎06 at 1:12 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Didn't Raybould testify under oath?

And Wernick testified twice yet Raybould isn't allowed to come back to answer what Gerald Butts said. Butts could talk about the cabinet shuffle but Raybould can't. There's no "justice" in the Justice Committee. It's just a scam.

16 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Yeah- 3 years too late.

Must be an election year. 

I hate the fact they decided to hold back the percent drop so they could use it as a political bribe. they could have easily dropped that PST at the begining of their mandate. 

Nope, was always the plan to get it in this year and have been working towards since the first budget in 2016. 

It's actually a year early than a lot of people expected (but right on cue for those that have been watching). 

It would have been nice if they could have just balanced (or nearly balanced) the budget instead of adding an additional $350M in debt. The province owes around $26B. 

For those that budget watch, you'll note that they increased Enabling Appropriations - Internal Service Adjustments. If I were laying off a ton of people and had to pay out severance, that's where I would put the money to do so. It went up over $30M. I know some is going to MB 150 but they're not putting more than $30M into that over and above the $45M they're committing in infrastructure. And the MGEU agreement ends April 1st.

11 hours ago, JCon said:

Nope, was always the plan to get it in this year and have been working towards since the first budget in 2016. 

It's actually a year early than a lot of people expected (but right on cue for those that have been watching). 

It would have been nice if they could have just balanced (or nearly balanced) the budget instead of adding an additional $350M in debt. The province owes around $26B. 

For those that budget watch, you'll note that they increased Enabling Appropriations - Internal Service Adjustments. If I were laying off a ton of people and had to pay out severance, that's where I would put the money to do so. It went up over $30M. I know some is going to MB 150 but they're not putting more than $30M into that over and above the $45M they're committing in infrastructure. And the MGEU agreement ends April 1st.

I've got a family member who works in a provincial office, and while quite a few of the older employees have left in the past decade, there are quite a few who have hung around hoping for Hydro-like buy-outs. Maybe their ship will finally be coming in...

6 minutes ago, nate007 said:

I've got a family member who works in a provincial office, and while quite a few of the older employees have left in the past decade, there are quite a few who have hung around hoping for Hydro-like buy-outs. Maybe their ship will finally be coming in...

My buddy works for the Province.  Im sure he'd be thrilled to see a buy out.  I love to hear how much everyone working in his office misses the NDP while he also tells me he's really bored with little to do all day.  

21 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Not their MO. I know a lot of people who waited and waited for buyouts but eventually gave up. 

The ranks are quite thin at this point. The layoffs will likely come as they kill and outsource entire offices/programs, like Translation Services. It won't be a buyout option, inviting people to retire. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My buddy works for the Province.  Im sure he'd be thrilled to see a buy out.  I love to hear how much everyone working in his office misses the NDP while he also tells me he's really bored with little to do all day.  

People I know in the Manitoba government said that the NDP motto for hiring was "if it takes two people to do the job, let's hire five".