Canadian Politics

38 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I don't see him resigning. IMO, best case scenario in the next election for the Liberals, if they're led by Trudeau, is a Conservative minority. Philpott's resignation was a huge kick in the nuts for Trudeau.

It just sucks the best the Conservatives could come up with for leadership is Scheer.

This. That 2017 leadership race wound up being a joke.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

I don't see him resigning. IMO, best case scenario in the next election for the Liberals, if they're led by Trudeau, is a Conservative minority. Philpott's resignation was a huge kick in the nuts for Trudeau.

It just sucks the best the Conservatives could come up with for leadership is Scheer.

Yes, its not like the Cons are putting their best foot forward at all.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I would be happy with a Liberal minority propped up by the NDP. There needs to be some better checks and balances. 

Liberal minority would work, but I'd hate to have Jagmeet and his LEAP'ers as the king-makers.  We've got the Greens/LEAP here in BC propping up the NDP and it no good.

48 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes, its not like the Cons are putting their best foot forward at all.

No, they are not. I might actually backtrack on my comment a bit, b/c there's still lots of time for Scheer to say something really stupid at a "yellow vest" rally that could turn voters off.

If the people in charge of the Conservative campaign are smart, they would tell Scheer to go into hiding until Election night.

21 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Odd- the LEap Manifesto seems like common sense from what I have read. 

LOL - yes "common sense", what an odd term to be used when it comes to the LEAP people.  Anyway, LEAP is driving people away from the NDP in droves.  And that's a big benefit to the Liberals.

23 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Tell that to Venezuela .

one demonstration of how the LEAP movement is tearing the NDP apart was demonstrated to me in spades when I was watching their leadership convention.  Daniel Blaikie got up and did an impassioned speech about how the NDP stands up for labour and he was talking about the pride he felt touring aerospace industries in Winnipeg and all of the unionized staff etc etc.  A good speech, I thought.  Young Blaikie sat down, and the next up to the mike was some young female LEAP'er from Quebec, who blasted Blaikie for supporting "evil" aerospace industries, and how all of those companies should be put out of business to save the world from global warming.  Young Blaikie's shoulders just slumped.  A party that divided, just can't stand.

IIRC, nobody's been put under oath at such a committee in 25 years. The same motion to have Cernick testify under oath was just voted down, too.

I have no horse in this race but it is hilarious watching the blue brigade lose their minds on Twitter after Butts fell on the sword. Rempel "can't even"... LOL

5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

IIRC, nobody's been put under oath at such a committee in 25 years. The same motion to have Cernick testify under oath was just voted down, too.

I have no horse in this race but it is hilarious watching the blue brigade lose their minds on Twitter after Butts fell on the sword. Rempel "can't even"... LOL

It stinks to high heaven.  It seems the Liberals plan is to wait this out, hope it moves out of the public consciousness and they can win the election anyway.  They dont want anything resembling an inquiry or trial (ie. sworn testimony etc) because it adds weight to the matter.  They want it to go away.

I remember being a Liberal voter under Cretien and was actually a big fan of his and turning absolutely against him.  The point has been before, some people are loyal to party no matter what (we see that in the US thread) but many people will look at the facts and decide what the red line is for them.  I havent voted Liberal in a long time but if I did, I would have turned away from JT now.

And I dont even like the Cons since Harper left.  So...who's getting my vote next election?  Well, unless the Liberals turf JT, they have no chance.  And at some point, the party is going to have to decide if they are better with a scandal-plagued JT or by turfing him.

trudeau-philpott.JPG
Philpott resigned as Treasury Board president Monday. (Patrick Doyle/Reuters)

A few hours later, at a rally in Toronto to gin up support for a carbon tax, Trudeau made a manic entrance, grinning and high-fiving and flesh-pressing and trying to look happy, before grabbing Environment Minister Catherine McKenna in an awkward hug, and, puzzlingly, yelling, at a Liberal rally, "Are there any Liberals in the house?"

Then, more empty message track.

"In a democracy like ours and in a space where we value our diversity so strongly, we're allowed to have disagreements and debate, we even encourage it. This matter has generated an important discussion."

Oh, and also, he's taking it all seriously. So there's that.

Happily, the Commons justice committee actually is taking it seriously. Even as, at exactly the same time, Republican members of a congressional panel spent the afternoon childishly heckling former Donald Trump lawyer Michael Cohen's efforts to testify – one of them erected a giant placard reading "Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire!" – the multipartisan panel in Ottawa behaved like adults.

Unlike her own party leader, who is as devoted to message track and empty rhetoric as the prime minister, Conservative MP Lisa Raitt's questioning of Wilson-Raybould was serious and probative. It was in fact a public service.

As was the scoop by Globe and Mail journalist Bob Fife (along with Steven Chase and Sean Fine), who detonated this crisis.

The question now is whether Canadians are going to hear any real answers from their prime minister, if indeed he's capable of offering any.

Actually, there are more honest moments in the pantheon of Trudeau's quotations than in any of his performances in the past few weeks.

Back in 2013, former Global anchorman Tom Clark asked Trudeau about his intellectual substance.

His answer: "You know, I'm not going to go around reciting Pi to the 19th decibel or you know wave my grades, or test scores to people. I'm going to simply do what it is that I have to do." Most people can't recite Pi to any decibel, let alone decimal.

In another encounter with Clark a year later, this time jammed into the cabin of Clark's little airplane, he talked about the necessity of educating people (read: all of us).

"I am a teacher. It's how I define myself. A good teacher isn't someone who gives the answers out to their kids but is understanding of needs and challenges and gives tools to help other people succeed."

To the National Post's John Ivison, he declared: "Who cares about winning? We should focus on serving." (Actually, according to Wilson-Raybould, Trudeau cares a great deal about winning, to the point where he's ready to overturn a prosecutor's decision, if that's what it takes).

But it was to CTV that he was probably most candid.

"At one point," he told the program W5, "people are going to have to realize that maybe I know what I'm doing."

Or not. On the evidence of the past few weeks, I'm thinking not.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/trudeau-talking-points-1.5044266

Edited by kelownabomberfan

49 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Didn't Raybould testify under oath?