Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

We might have the worst group of party leaders I can remember. Scheer is a shameless opportunist who seems like he'd sell his grandma if it got him votes. He's going hard right, trying not to lose support to Bernier, but it's going to cost him centrist voters. Plus, he has one of the most punchable faces in politics.

Trudeau, and most of his party, can't stop shooting themselves in the foot.

I don't really care about the NDP, b/c I would never vote for them. I wish they'd go away so they stop splitting the vote on the left.

Man, I could not agree more. The political landscape is a turd-pile right now. Just a bunch of self-interested clowns who couldn't care less about Canadians. While it's fun to point and laugh at the mess in DC right now, the sad reality is Ottawa isn't any better. I can't even imagine what goes on behind closed doors these days.

I'm at the point where I don't even want to vote later this year. It's like being stuck between choosing one bag of garbage over another; the only difference is the colour of the bag.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

While it's fun to point and laugh at the mess in DC right now, the sad reality is Ottawa isn't any better.

I wouldn't go that far. The US has a treasonous criminal running their country. I know we've got some dummies on right right calling Trudeau a traitor for his immigration policies, but that's just far right nonsense.

The US government is basically a crime family right now. We've got some problems, but imo it doesn't compare to the level of craziness down there.

10 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'm at the point where I don't even want to vote later this year. It's like being stuck between choosing one bag of garbage over another; the only difference is the colour of the bag.

Completely agree. Both Federally and provincially I don't see anyone that I want to cast my vote for. 

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

I wouldn't go that far. The US has a treasonous criminal running their country. I know we've got some dummies on right right calling Trudeau a traitor for his immigration policies, but that's just far right nonsense.

The US government is basically a crime family right now. We've got some problems, but imo it doesn't compare to the level of craziness down there.

You're right. I should've clarified in the first place. We're far better off when speaking in relative terms. I just meant watching what's happening in Ottawa lately is hardly reassuring looking ahead to the upcoming federal election. Indifference is a shitty feeling, especially when it comes to voting.

I'm with you guys. Had a pollster call me about federal politics a few weeks ago, and couldn't tell them I favoured any of the main parties. Local candidates were equally bad in my riding. Tend to lean conservative fiscally, but I'll be damned if I'm going to vote for Jenny Motkaluk. Told them I was most likely to vote Green at this point, just for sharts and giggles.

5 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

81271325-A7B6-42E1-9B60-63686F845A5F.jpeg

She's woman, she's Aboriginal, and she did what an open and accountable government should do collectively.

Not that it should surprise anyone - but handling the situation the way they did - is the exact opposite of the message that was given after the 2015 election

Quite frankly, it serves Trudeau and the Liberals just exactly right.

42 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

She's woman, she's Aboriginal, and she did what an open and accountable government should do collectively.

Not that it should surprise anyone - but handling the situation the way they did - is the exact opposite of the message that was given after the 2015 election

Quite frankly, it serves Trudeau and the Liberals just exactly right.

I'm not sure why our Justice Minister is also our Attorney General.  I am against increased government spending as a rule, but in this case I think that the job should be separated, to avoid these kinds of conflicts of interest. 

On 2019-02-20 at 10:42 AM, 17to85 said:

Completely agree. Both Federally and provincially I don't see anyone that I want to cast my vote for. 

Just a heads up in Manitoba provincial elections, you are legally entitled to decline your ballot. Good way to tell them they all suck. Unfortunately for the federal elections you aren't allowed to decline your ballot... hilariously enough though, there is a group that promotes and encourages disgruntled voters to eat their ballot (the Edible Ballot Society)

Fair warning though - eating your ballot is a federal crime under the Canada Elections Act.

On 2019-02-22 at 7:27 PM, Eternal optimist said:

Just a heads up in Manitoba provincial elections, you are legally entitled to decline your ballot. Good way to tell them they all suck. Unfortunately for the federal elections you aren't allowed to decline your ballot... hilariously enough though, there is a group that promotes and encourages disgruntled voters to eat their ballot (the Edible Ballot Society)

Fair warning though - eating your ballot is a federal crime under the Canada Elections Act.

And will give you diarrhea. ..

11 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

As an Albertan the Manitoba stuff doesn't matter, and honestly I'm not the type to decline a ballot anyway. Just praying to god there is a local candidate who seems like a good person. Probably leaning towards the Alberta Party provincially simply because the candidate seems like a good one, meanwhile federally, oh boy what a sorry lot. The Conservative who won last time is a little wiener who seemed like he'd be OK last time but in the end only wound up parroting the talking points of the party. 

On 2019-02-23 at 7:02 AM, 17to85 said:

As an Albertan the Manitoba stuff doesn't matter, and honestly I'm not the type to decline a ballot anyway. Just praying to god there is a local candidate who seems like a good person. Probably leaning towards the Alberta Party provincially simply because the candidate seems like a good one, meanwhile federally, oh boy what a sorry lot. The Conservative who won last time is a little wiener who seemed like he'd be OK last time but in the end only wound up parroting the talking points of the party. 

Feeling much the same about the Liberal who won here in Kelowna. Wiener is a good way to describe him all right.

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎23 at 8:02 AM, 17to85 said:

How can a party that can't file it's election paperwork on time with the leader & 7 candidates run a province? Blame it on the party treasurer who was supposedly 'sick". Throw him under the bus.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

we are watching history in the making folks.  This is one of those "where we you when" days.

I have to disagree- this doesn't even crack the top 500 "where we you when" days.

it doesn't even beat out Pete Davidson and Ariana Grande's engagement announcement- and it certainly doesn't beat out their subsequent break up. (I was picking up my son from the Y and the latter I was at Costco) 

25 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I have to disagree- this doesn't even crack the top 500 "where we you when" days.

it doesn't even beat out Pete Davidson and Ariana Grande's engagement announcement- and it certainly doesn't beat out their subsequent break up. (I was picking up my son from the Y and the latter I was at Costco) 

At the risk of being offensive, the above statement shows that you are either extremely shallow or extremely ignorant. A sitting Prime Minister, his Minister of Finance, the PMO and the top civil servant in the country spent four months putting pressure on the Justice Minister to essentially fix a case for a company that has donated millions to the PM's political party, to gain a political advantage is a huge event.