Canadian Politics

9 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Just to show I'm not some kool-aid drinking liberal, I'm posting this because it's potentially a big deal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-snc-lavalin-fraud-corruption-1.5009578

That being said, I'd have no problem with Jody Wilson-Raybould as PM.

If the PMO tried to interfere, JT would have to go. 

The Conservative party is so good at managing the economy.

The North West Redwater Partnership’s Sturgeon refinery some 350 kilometers (215 miles) north of Calgary -- partly designed to process as much as 37,500 barrels a day of oil-sands bitumen that Alberta collects from producers as royalty payments -- is months late in honoring its part of the deal.

Yet, since June, the province has been paying the unit an estimated C$750,000 ($560,000) a day in fees anyway, according to estimates by Brian Livingston, executive fellow at the University of Calgary’s School of Public Policy.

That’s because an agreement originally drafted in 2011, before Notley’s time, required a provincially owned corporation to start paying fees to the refinery in June 2018, regardless of whether the unit was actually processing anything. To make matters worse, the fee has increased because it’s linked to the project’s rising operating and borrowing costs.

In other news, the lowest estimate of abandoned well cleanup in Alberta is 58 billion dollars.

That Francois Legault is a piece of work like most Quebec politicians are. SNC Lavalin could kill a million people & he'd be crying not to prosecute to save 25,000 jobs because 2 million people weren't killed. I thought when that prick was elected Premier things might change but sure enough not to be.... Butts & Telford are gone because they did interfere. Meanwhile Nigel Wright is somewhere laughing.

52 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

my bet is that he's a senator before the end of the summer, or takes the Chinese ambassador job.  Either way, you don't rid yourself of cancer that easily.

Nope, you can't.  He obviously fell on the sword for Trudeau - they have to give him something to keep him quiet - dangle a carrot

Well, this is novel.

We’re accustomed to the spectacle of others forced to taste the underside of the tires of the most-exercised vehicle in Ottawa. But how often do we get to watch the bus driver exit the vehicle to toss himself under its wheels?

It was during the soft hours of a Family Day afternoon that the principal secretary of the prime minister of Canada publicly committed political seppuku.

Time dilates in politics when you’re having a very rough time. And how very long it must seem, if you’re a Liberal, from that first day of denial (Trudeau: “The allegations are false.”) to Mr. Butts’ self-ejection from the most powerful, influential position, outside that of the prime minister, in Canadian politics.

How often do we get to watch the bus driver exit the vehicle to toss himself under its wheels?

facebook_solo.svg
twitter_solo.svg

There has been no drama on this scale, not during Adscam, not during the interminable Duffy saga, not even dare I say back to the squalid Gerda Munsinger affair (prostitute, spy, cabinet ministers, bed) to equal Monday’s instalment of the SNC-Jody Wilson-Raybould opera.

And it is the scale of the thing that is its salient feature, its extraordinary factor. It’s one thing, say, to lob an irritating or careless backbencher over the battlements, to sate the anger of the mob below. But, to so speak, for Mr. Spock to hurl himself on the rocks to save Captain Kirk is a scenario none could have contemplated.

So we arrive at the primary question that emerges from this week’s drama.

For Mr. Spock to hurl himself on the rocks to save Captain Kirk is a scenario none could have contemplated

facebook_solo.svg
twitter_solo.svg

Why was so explosive a gesture thought necessary? Why did Gerald Butts resign? To deter a stronger storm? And what tempest could be stronger than one which necessitates the prime minister of the Prime Minister to annihilate his political career?

We knew this SNC-J W-R story was ominous and threatening already. But no one (outside possibly Robert Fife and Steven Chase) in the sage chorus of the Ottawa press gallery or the wisest lookers-on even dreamed it could pass from “nothing to see here” to Mr. Butts abandoning his near-Siamese counterpart, as a selfless gesture, needful for Mr. Trudeau to weather a greater storm yet to come.

To underscore: no one thought this matter was so threatening that Gerald Butts, Mr. Trudeau’s secret-sharer, mentor, strategist, fixer and friend, would choose to fall on his sword — before there was yet any clear, agreed-upon, set of facts over what is being contested.

butts2edited.jpg?w=640&quality=60&strip=allPrime Minister Justin Trudeau leaves his office with Gerald Butts to attend an emergency cabinet meeting on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on April 10, 2018. Justin Tang/CP

Resignations follow revelations. It is not in the course of political nature that they precede them. The public still does not know what all this is about. Ms. Jody Wilson-Raybould’s silence (as I write anyway) is still intact. Words she has still yet to speak are the Damoclean Sword over Mr. Trudeau’s stay in office and the fate of his government.

But of this we can be certain. Mr. Butts did not resign to make matters worse, to sharpen focus on the drama, to further darken its already bleak overcloud.

He must have chosen to do so because there was some element, more explosive, more turbulent, and more ominous for his friend and prime minister yet to come. Yet to come, and which Mr. Butts’ pre-emptive sacrifice offered some hope of either preventing, deflecting or deflating.

He must have chosen to do so because there was some element, more explosive … yet to come

facebook_solo.svg
twitter_solo.svg

Either that, or — worse still, he determined there was no point at this point in staying to fight at all. A wild surmise, I admit, but one which must be roiling the sleep of many a Liberal front and backbencher.

Mr. Butts’ leave-taking is all the more remarkable, too, because, as so many have noted, it was replete with declarations, unqualified and trenchant, that neither he nor anyone in the PMO “pressured Ms. Wilson-Raybould.” He emphatically denies all fault. And he should — as long as J W-R’s silence extends itself and no factual contradiction emerges — be taken at his word. But why then leave? This is accepting penance for sins uncommitted, unfamiliar both in liturgy and life.

cpt502-the-canadian-press-3.jpg?w=640&quality=60&strip=allJody Wilson-Raybould participates in a Chinese New Year Parade in Vancouver on Feb. 10, 2019. Darryl Dyck/CP

The reason he gives: to save the prime minister from the “distraction” of his presence. There is a mighty quotient of distraction tied up in his resignation itself. What distraction does he think he’s sparing Mr. Trudeau, that could surpass the one he has just created?

The scandal itself, however, is a distraction. It consumes so much attention and coverage that it obscures a second dark melody, the counterpoint of the Vice-Admiral Mark Norman affair. J W-R’s resignation submerged that of Scott Brison, which apart from drollery on Twitter following Mr. Trudeau’s facile attempt to use it to “explain” that of Wilson-Raybould, has inspired very little comment.

norman-henein-1.png?w=640Vice-Admiral Mark Norman returns to a courthouse in Ottawa with his lawyer, Marie Henein, following a break in the proceedings on Jan. 29, 2019. Adrian Wyld/CP

The Norman affair crosses many of the same themes as the larger one, rule of law, possible interference from on high, government stonewalling. It, too, has promise of revelations yet to come. Vice-Admiral Norman’s case is under the formidable care of lawyer Marie Henein, who has all the deferential timidity of a lioness protecting its cubs. Water evaporates when she stands in a courtroom.

There are possibly many things Mr. Butts’ resignation may accomplish but I cannot see it will remove any of the pressures Mr. Trudeau is under, and, considering that Mr. Butts was his chief and best consigliere, he (Mr. Trudeau) will be less equipped to deal with them.

Meantime, there is still a country to govern, an election to face

facebook_solo.svg
twitter_solo.svg

Meantime, there is still a country to govern, an election to face, and a caucus to mollify. There are convoys in Ottawa, Canadians in Chinese jails, quarrels with Saudi Arabia, and — dare we say it — pipelines yet to be built.

We forget sometimes that “staff” is a metaphor — taken from husbandry. It was what the shepherd leaned upon and used to ward off the wolves. It was his first and only weapon. Mr. Butts was Mr. Trudeau’s staff, both metaphorically and etymologically. His weapon and shield.

Without Mr. Butts, how will the prime minister fare? That, like “to be or not to be,” is the question.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-is-there-another-storm-coming-that-gerald-butts-was-trying-to-deter?video_autoplay=true

We might have the worst group of party leaders I can remember. Scheer is a shameless opportunist who seems like he'd sell his grandma if it got him votes. He's going hard right, trying not to lose support to Bernier, but it's going to cost him centrist voters. Plus, he has one of the most punchable faces in politics.

Trudeau, and most of his party, can't stop shooting themselves in the foot.

I don't really care about the NDP, b/c I would never vote for them. I wish they'd go away so they stop splitting the vote on the left.

Edited by sweep the leg

16 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

We might have the worst group of party leaders I can remember. Scheer is a shameful opportunist who seems like he'd sell his grandma if it got him votes. He's going hard right, trying not to lose support to Bernier, but it's going to cost him centrist voters. Plus, he has one of the most punchable faces in politics.

Trudeau, and most of his party, can't stop shooting themselves in the foot.

I don't really care about the NDP, b/c I would never vote for them. I wish they'd go away so they stop splitting the vote on the left.

Sheer is tool. Utterly useless. The Conservatives made a poor choice in leader. They have Raitt for damn sake. 

Trudeau and team can take the simplest issue and twist so far that they look like bumbling idiots. This whole thing reeks and they can't communicate worth a damn. At this point, get new leadership around the capable MPs that they have. They do have a lot of capable MPs. Trudeau can paddle a canoe and give talks and become a key ambassador for the country or something. 

It's like watching Inspector Clouseau. 

I don't want to see the end of the NDP because it would mean that the far left would have a say in Liberal policies. I prefer having a centrist government that isn't afraid to make fiscally responsible decisions and not spend into oblivion (ala Chretien-Martin days). 

Edited by JCon

Scheer is what happens when you pick a leader based on ranked ballots. Same thing happened in Alberta that got us a pile of loser premiers. When you use ranked balloting all you wind up with is everybody's 3rd choice as leader. Should make someone actually win the leader ship rather than the compromise candidate. Get less weenies that way.