Canadian Politics

Had a funny phone call from the UCP here in Alberta last week. I don't remember the script exactly but they started out by identifying themselves as calling on behalf of the UCP and then saying "Don't you think it's time we had government..." and then bashing the NDP on an issue, I think it was about their  financial management. I've actually been a fan, for the most part, of the provincial NDP (I have no idea which least worst party I'm going to go with federally but I know it's not NDP) so I said "nope" in a friendly, half-amused tone and he said thank-you and hung up. I thought, wow, if you were trying to convince me to swing to the UCP you might wanna switch up your tactics. I'm not sure the abrupt-end-to-the-phone-call-when-I don't-agree-with-you route is gonna take you a long way.

The UCP are running some awful commercials on the radio and it makes my eyes roll every time I hear them. 

The part that always gets me is how they always throw Trudeau in somehow. I'm like hey Kenney, if Trudeau is your mortal enemy maybe you should have stayed in federal politics? I hope Alberta isn't stupid enough to vote for that prick cause it would be terrible for the province. I don't know who the hell I'll wind up voting for though.... Won't vote for the UCP and their agenda of hate, can't bring myself to vote NDP even if I do have some respect for Rachel Notley... Maybe the Alberta Party but they seem to be uninterested in providing a decent platform to run on... 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The UCP are running some awful commercials on the radio and it makes my eyes roll every time I hear them. 

The part that always gets me is how they always throw Trudeau in somehow. I'm like hey Kenney, if Trudeau is your mortal enemy maybe you should have stayed in federal politics? I hope Alberta isn't stupid enough to vote for that prick cause it would be terrible for the province. I don't know who the hell I'll wind up voting for though.... Won't vote for the UCP and their agenda of hate, can't bring myself to vote NDP even if I do have some respect for Rachel Notley... Maybe the Alberta Party but they seem to be uninterested in providing a decent platform to run on... 

Their TV commercials which are airing during CFL games do that too.

2 hours ago, StevetheClub said:

Had a funny phone call from the UCP here in Alberta last week. I don't remember the script exactly but they started out by identifying themselves as calling on behalf of the UCP and then saying "Don't you think it's time we had government..." and then bashing the NDP on an issue, I think it was about their  financial management. I've actually been a fan, for the most part, of the provincial NDP (I have no idea which least worst party I'm going to go with federally but I know it's not NDP) so I said "nope" in a friendly, half-amused tone and he said thank-you and hung up. I thought, wow, if you were trying to convince me to swing to the UCP you might wanna switch up your tactics. I'm not sure the abrupt-end-to-the-phone-call-when-I don't-agree-with-you route is gonna take you a long way.

They're not likely trying to change anyone's mind, they're most likely fishing to locate "like-minded" individuals with a deep-seated hate for the NDP and Liberals to solicit donations for their cause and to encourage them to get out and vote on election day.

6 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

The Conservative Party commercial with Scheer shows him and his family in Rider Gear. Big reason not to vote for him.

They aren't even fans, just bandwaggoners... they bailed on the LDC at half time.   His wife actually turned and asked my wife not to make so much noise, clearly not understanding that's what you do at a football game. 

13 hours ago, bigg jay said:

They aren't even fans, just bandwaggoners... they bailed on the LDC at half time.   His wife actually turned and asked my wife not to make so much noise, clearly not understanding that's what you do at a football game. 

Not saying this was the case with your wife, but some cheering does suffer from a lack of creativity.  I've had someone behind me in the upper deck going "B.C. sucks, you suck" for the entire game.  Trouble was - the Bombers sucked pretty badly that night. 

27 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Not saying this was the case with your wife, but some cheering does suffer from a lack of creativity.  I've had someone behind me in the upper deck going "B.C. sucks, you suck" for the entire game.  Trouble was - the Bombers sucked pretty badly that night. 

Agreed but in this case, it was just noise in general (clapping and ringing a cowbell), not obnoxious yelling.

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎22 at 2:37 PM, rebusrankin said:

The Conservative Party commercial with Scheer shows him and his family in Rider Gear. Big reason not to vote for him.

I agree, any politician posing for pictures in Rider gear, or posing with the Riders, or their fans, has to be a lunatic.  Looks like Jagmeet is my only option in 2019 (can't vote for Lizzy as I don't vote for jail birds).

Image result for justin trudeau saskatchewan roughriders

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎23 at 12:29 PM, Mark H. said:

My brother & I went to a WHA Jets game in the mid 70's. In the era when they were really, really good & won 3 WHA Championships. We usually went to maybe 6 games a year back then. Anyway, one game there was this guy sitting directly behind us at the old Arena & for the entire game he kept saying, "Skate, skate, skate, skate. Check, check, check, check, check.  Skate, skate, skate, skate, skate. Check, check, check, check".  All... Game... Long... By the third period, I was ready to turn around & scream STFU!!! My brother said don't do it. So, I shut up. I was in Winnipeg last March. We went to the Jets-Preds game & for fun I started that same chant.  We both started chuckling over that. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My brother & I went to a WHA Jets game in the mid 70's. In the era when they were really, really good & won 3 WHA Championships. We usually went to maybe 6 games a year back then. Anyway, one game there was this guy sitting directly behind us at the old Arena & for the entire game he kept saying, "Skate, skate, skate, skate. Check, check, check, check, check.  Skate, skate, skate, skate, skate. Check, check, check, check".  All... Game... Long... By the third period, I was ready to turn around & scream STFU!!! My brother said don't do it. So, I shut up. I was in Winnipeg last March. We went to the Jets-Preds game & for fun I started that same chant.  We both started chuckling over that. 

First year the Jets were in the NHL we had half-seasons.  There was this annoying fan behind us who just HATED Scott Campbell, the defenceman who had asthma so bad that he had to have an inhaler on the bench.  He would just yell CAMPBELL!!! all game.  We didn't renew our seasons after that, we just couldn't stand that guy.

10 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

First year the Jets were in the NHL we had half-seasons.  There was this annoying fan behind us who just HATED Scott Campbell, the defenceman who had asthma so bad that he had to have an inhaler on the bench.  He would just yell CAMPBELL!!! all game.  We didn't renew our seasons after that, we just couldn't stand that guy.

The Freep gassed Campbell's Jets column last spring.  I liked him as a defensemen. 

On 2018-10-23 at 4:48 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

I agree, any politician posing for pictures in Rider gear, or posing with the Riders, or their fans, has to be a lunatic.  Looks like Jagmeet is my only option in 2019 (can't vote for Lizzy as I don't vote for jail birds).

To be fair, he isn't wearing any rider gear in either photo.

How's the fascist again?

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-big-brother-feds-want-your-private-banking-info?fbclid=IwAR1B-amTjme5R2hTZqhz_qAKgtKdtjORJoRZnOwHPk1WZiAnKDa2o2TEpxs

Statistics Canada is about to require Canada’s nine biggest banks and credit unions to turn over highly personal data about their customers and not tell the customer. That includes name, address, social insurance number and every single banking transaction that person does in a year.

14 hours ago, pigseye said:

How's the fascist again?

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-big-brother-feds-want-your-private-banking-info?fbclid=IwAR1B-amTjme5R2hTZqhz_qAKgtKdtjORJoRZnOwHPk1WZiAnKDa2o2TEpxs

Statistics Canada is about to require Canada’s nine biggest banks and credit unions to turn over highly personal data about their customers and not tell the customer. That includes name, address, social insurance number and every single banking transaction that person does in a year.

So, time to switch to Portage Credit Union?