Canadian Politics

41 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Bowman got 2 to 1 lead on Jenny according to recent poll.

WTF!

Not surprising at all. She's a no-namer and he's a centrist incumbent who hasn't burned the city down. Browaty would've maybe made it a race, but he's probably got his eyes on a CPC nomination next year.

On 2018-10-03 at 4:44 PM, Mark H. said:

Ok, fair comment.  I guess I'm more used to the farms I see in MB. We don't have a dairy ourselves, but have one neighbour with 100 cows, one with 40, and another with 70.  The biggest farm that I know of personally milks around 300 head and the family also runs a strawberry farm.  Boonstra berries - people on here have probably heard of them.  

If what you describe is happening, then it sounds like corporations have tapped into the supply management system, just as well it gets dissolved if that's the case. 

It's been happening for awhile.  My brother was squeezed out of dairy 20 years ago.  He'd received an award for having the top 5 milk quality in the province the previous year, but since he only had a 40 cow herd that was pretty far from the next nearest farm they pressured him to get out of the business.  Told him he needed to build a new barn (at least a million dollars back then) or he was out.  I am very much in favour of the idea of supply management, but I fear that the capitalists have taken over the industry.

12 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

It's been happening for awhile.  My brother was squeezed out of dairy 20 years ago.  He'd received an award for having the top 5 milk quality in the province the previous year, but since he only had a 40 cow herd that was pretty far from the next nearest farm they pressured him to get out of the business.  Told him he needed to build a new barn (at least a million dollars back then) or he was out.  I am very much in favour of the idea of supply management, but I fear that the capitalists have taken over the industry.

Who is "they"? 

On 2018-10-05 at 10:00 AM, JCon said:

Who is "they"? 

I probably shouldn't speculate without knowledge of the industry but most likely a large corporation who purchases the milk, processes and packages it, and  "brands" it for sale in grocery stores.  Economics of scale, it is not worth their while to deal with small producers.

59 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Call an election right now! I dare you!

Lol...did u not finish reading the tweet? 1200 people were polled. That's like one neighborhood. I'm honestly embarrassed for the people using this like it is any indication of how the country actually feels...I'm not even suggesting it's wrong...but it's a joke.

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Lol...did u not finish reading the tweet? 1200 people were polled. That's like one neighborhood. I'm honestly embarrassed for the people using this like it is any indication of how the country actually feels...I'm not even suggesting it's wrong...but it's a joke.

Did they contact 4 people from every riding?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

43 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

You should research sample size and statistical significance. I don't know the method behind this particular poll, but just because only 1200 people were polled doesn't mean the result isn't accurate to a given margin of error. 

55 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I used to work for a polling company briefly and they taught us the formula which I dont remember.  What do polls mean any more?  Well,  a poll is a poll and they have their formulas.  

On 2018-10-17 at 11:19 AM, Bigblue204 said:

Not only that, they seldom mention the method used to survey people. Lots of these surveys use phone calls (i.e. landlines) to survey individuals. This inherently means you're surveying an older population, which has been shown to be more conservative-leaning. So the results really aren't that surprising.

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Remember when Harper sold off those shares of the auto-makers and Liberal fans went berserk?  I wonder if there will be any out-cry over this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/chrysler-auto-loan-canada-account-write-off-edc-bailout-taxpayer-wudrick-milke-1.4871648

Harper certainly screwed this one up. Too bad we're holding the bag. 

24 minutes ago, JCon said:

Harper certainly screwed this one up. Too bad we're holding the bag. 

Well, I said it to trigger TUP but he didn't take the bait. 

I wish we could find a better way to help sectors without direct bailouts, like to Bombardier. I see the need to invest when some industries are struggling or during bad economic situations but there must be a better way.