Canadian Politics

Trying to white wash history annoys me. Times were different back then, we shouldn't judge those people based on the ideals of today. Historic figures flaws and all created this country, we shouldn't hold them to todays standards and we shouldn't forget them, use their flaws to say they did great things but could have been better. 

On 2018-08-15 at 9:56 AM, Mark H. said:

It’s hard to believe that he and other world leaders didn’t have at least an inkling. 

Even the German people didn't know until after the war was over, it was a well kept secret.  Atrocities were committed by all sides in WW2, hard to excuse any of the leaders of the time for turning a blind eye to slaughter.

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎15 at 9:47 AM, Mark H. said:

I am not in favour of taking down any statues at all.  Macdonald's treatment of First Nations is well documented and has been widely discussed.  I'm beyond annoyed when people still try to claim there are those who don't know, and removing the statue will be a small step towards education and reconciliation.

However, somehow, Wilfred Laurier is rarely if ever brought up.  Is it because he's Liberal?  I don't know.  But I do know that his immigration policies were very racist and discussed openly in parliament.  Also, he did nothing to change anything that JAM put into place.  Example: JAM legislated a $50 Chinese Head Tax; Laurier raised it to $100, then $500.  

Then there's Mackenzie King.  He banned Chinese immigration altogether, on July 1, 1923.  During the Dirty Thirties, he said he wouldn't give a red cent to anyone who didn't vote Liberal.  Then there is the treatment of Japanese Canadians during WWII.

Sorry to say but the snowflakes who scream about Sir John A don't care about what Laurier did to the Chinese. They'll never clamour to take down any Laurier statue because he was a Liberal. 

9 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Even the German people didn't know until after the war was over, it was a well kept secret.  Atrocities were committed by all sides in WW2, hard to excuse any of the leaders of the time for turning a blind eye to slaughter.

Right, as far as they knew they were being moved out of state.

On 2018-08-17 at 1:37 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Even the German people didn't know until after the war was over, it was a well kept secret. 

I've read a few books and articles about how the German population's ignorance of the holocaust was overstated. I had a book about it, but can't remember what it was called. Regardless, there are a lot of good articles about it. Definitely an interesting discussion topic.

On 2018-08-17 at 1:37 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Atrocities were committed by all sides in WW2, hard to excuse any of the leaders of the time for turning a blind eye to slaughter.

Nothing done by the allies merits equivalence to the holocaust. Civilian bombing is probably the biggest one mentioned (by some) that was part of the war strategy. My grandpa flew in a Lancaster during the war, and he'd fight anybody who even hinted that the bombing campaign over Germany was unjust.

2 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

On a different topic, this can't be good new for the Conservatives. More vote splitting.

Sean CraigVerified account @sdbcraig

98,5 Montreal's Bernard Drainville reports Maxime Bernier is "more and more likely" to leave the Conservatives and form his own new political party.

I think he's setting himself up to be the next leader of the PQ. After the October 1st election, Lisee will be out and he could come on. 

That being said, I'm a complete outsider and not in touch with current Quebec politics. It just seems curious that a man that once scolded Leitch as another Trump wannabe is now using alt-right rhetoric on immigration. 

29 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I've read a few books and articles about how the German population's ignorance of the holocaust was overstated. I had a book about it, but can't remember what it was called. Regardless, there are a lot of good articles about it. Definitely an interesting discussion topic.

Nothing done by the allies merits equivalence to the holocaust. Civilian bombing is probably the biggest one mentioned (by some) that was part of the war strategy. My grandpa flew in a Lancaster during the war, and he'd fight anybody who even hinted that the bombing campaign over Germany was unjust.

Germans were the ones who started the civilian bombing so they can't complain. 

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think he's setting himself up to be the next leader of the PQ. After the October 1st election, Lisee will be out and he could come on. 

That being said, I'm a complete outsider and not in touch with current Quebec politics. It just seems curious that a man that once scolded Leitch as another Trump wannabe is now using alt-right rhetoric on immigration. 

What "alt-right" rhetoric is he using?  

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Germans were the ones who started the civilian bombing so they can't complain. 

That was always my grandpas argument. "They shouldn't have done it if they didn't want it back".

Edit: His brother was a pow for years after being sent to Hong Kong to fight, so he also had little sympathy for the fire bombing and a-bomb dropped on Japan.

Edited by sweep the leg

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He'll take all the disaffected & disgruntled far right Conservatives with him & he said he's forming a new party. Trudeau & the NDP will lap this up with glee. 

Good, maybe then we can get some proper progressive conservatives. I am so sick and tired of social conservatives co-opting the conservative name. 

Praying to god Alberta wakes up and doesn't vote for Jason Kenney too because we have no need for hateful people like that running things. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Good, maybe then we can get some proper progressive conservatives. I am so sick and tired of social conservatives co-opting the conservative name. 

Praying to god Alberta wakes up and doesn't vote for Jason Kenney too because we have no need for hateful people like that running things. 

Dude it's a done deal. Notley is toast. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

This province has said no to social conservatives before. I reiman hopeful they will do so again. 

Notley is one & done. The Progressive experiment is nearly over.  Her shutting down coal fired electrical generators which will push up our electricity prices in the next few years as well as the dishonest carbon tax did it for me.  OUT!!!

Progressives want to tax us for using our cars, trucks, recreational vehicles, boats, snowmobiles, long haul trucking, factories, greenhouses, farming, as in heating barns in winter, growing crops, raising livestock,  buying clothes, turning on the lights in our homes, schools & businesses, heating & cooling our homes. Who suffers? Low income Canadians or seniors on fixed incomes. Nah, done with Notley in Alberta. I'd like to be done with Trudeau as well but after today probably not. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27