Canadian Politics

17 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Nice... stay classy.

classy or not, he's right. I too laughed at the people who thought it was a major election plank and actually thought they'd go through with it. Like the Liberals would ever ditch the system that has seen them form more governments than anyone else and see the NDP get more power? Not a chance. It was just another in the long line of lie the Liberals will feed people. Actually it shocked the hell out of me that people have such short attention spans that they don't remember the last Liberal government... It's been their MO for a long long time. Flat out lie in elections to win and then do whatever the hell they want when they get in. Nicknames like Fiberals and Liebrals didn't come from nowhere. 

16 hours ago, Atomic said:

There is nothing wrong with FPtP, lefties just don't like it because it splits their vote between NDP and Liberals.  Didn't see them complaining when it was killing the Conservatives during the PC/Reform/Canadian Alliance split years.

This meme needs to die. The Liberals are not a left wing party. They are the very definition of a middle of the road party. Campaign on the left govern on the right. They have more common ground with the conservatives than they do with the NDP. The fact of the matter is that NDP supporters are just desperate to pretend that they are not a fringe party. They'e the ones that are out in left field while the Conservatives and Liberals are battling over the middle ground. If you vote Liberals thinking it's going to be in any way similar to the NDP you're gonna have a bad time. With the Liberals and Conservatives you're going to get the same basic style of government, just the Liberals might make some more noises about social progress where as the Conservatives are busy trying to get their idiot base to keep quiet about their social conservatism because they don't really want to go down those roads but will throw them the odd bone. 

45 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

As I recall JT promised smaller deficits..."reasonable" deficits leading to a balanced budget and then immediately broke that promise.  But his promise was not realistic at all.  They chose a number they felt Canadians could live with knowing they'd never hit it but as a new government they'd blame the old government anyway.

I really liked the bait and switch they pulled on traditional NDP supporters with their promise to reform the electoral system.  The NDP supporters totally got sucked in on that one.  Justin never to my knowledge said that he would switch to the flawed PR system, just that he would reform the system.  Then he totally pulled the whole thing off the table.  Brilliant short-term strategy but will the traditional NDP support go back to the NDP?  That's the question.

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This meme needs to die. The Liberals are not a left wing party. They are the very definition of a middle of the road party. Campaign on the left govern on the right. They have more common ground with the conservatives than they do with the NDP. The fact of the matter is that NDP supporters are just desperate to pretend that they are not a fringe party. They'e the ones that are out in left field while the Conservatives and Liberals are battling over the middle ground. If you vote Liberals thinking it's going to be in any way similar to the NDP you're gonna have a bad time. With the Liberals and Conservatives you're going to get the same basic style of government, just the Liberals might make some more noises about social progress where as the Conservatives are busy trying to get their idiot base to keep quiet about their social conservatism because they don't really want to go down those roads but will throw them the odd bone. 

Liberals govern on the right??  When??  I must have missed that because I see enormous deficit increases and tax grabs???

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

With the Liberals and Conservatives you're going to get the same basic style of government, just the Liberals might make some more noises about social progress where as the Conservatives are busy trying to get their idiot base to keep quiet about their social conservatism because they don't really want to go down those roads but will throw them the odd bone. 

Agreed. The far right members in the Conservative party really hurt them.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Yeah fixing all the Liberal ****-ups!

Yeah, it's always someone else's fault. 

Harper was handed a surplus but turned it into a deficit. Mulroney did nothing to pull them out of it. 

Conservative governments love deficits because they can blame everything on the previous government. 

Just now, JCon said:

Harper was handed a surplus but turned it into a deficit. Mulroney did nothing to pull them out of it. 

Conservative governments love deficits because they can blame everything on the previous government. 

You mean when PET came in with a 667M deficit and left with a 32.4 B deficit?  You're going to blame Mulroney for that?  PET almost bankrupted the nation.

Harper came in in the black, survived a global recession, and left in the black.  He did his job.

And now JT is screwing us again.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeah let's not pretend that there wasn't a massive global recession at the time. Not to mention he was in a minority situation and had to pander to the left with some spending to keep the government going. 

It's never black and white with deficits and budgets and honestly too much is made of deficits from year to year. 

22 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Liberals govern on the right??  When??  I must have missed that because I see enormous deficit increases and tax grabs???

Well they did cut the corporate tax rates, which is a pretty right wing thing to do. Like I said, they are pretty lock step with the conservatives on most economic issues. 

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You mean when PET came in with a 667M deficit and left with a 32.4 B deficit?  You're going to blame Mulroney for that?  PET almost bankrupted the nation.

Harper came in in the black, survived a global recession, and left in the black.  He did his job.

And now JT is screwing us again.

Mulroney took a 37B deficit and turned it into a.... 39B deficit over 8 years. Again, it's always someone else's fault. 

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Mulroney added over $300B to the national debt. Chretien and Martin did a  good job cleaning up his mess and have a better fiscal record than anybody in recent history.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

We can always just look to the Liberals stated economic policy:

"The budget will balance itself."

Which, of course, if you understand government budgeting and the full context of the quote, then you would understand this to be exactly what Harper preached during the recession. 

Stimulus spending will increase revenue and increased revenue will balance the budget. 

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Mulroney added over $300B to the national debt. Chretien and Martin did a  good job cleaning up his mess and have a better fiscal record than anybody in recent history.

Yes they did.  I consider Chretien the best prime minister of my lifetime.  It's too bad they were so corrupt at the same time.

Just now, JCon said:

Again, tiresome, but always someone else's fault. Harper made his own decisions. 

Oh I see what you did there.  Okay, if you dont want to have a mature discussion, dont take part.  If Harper's deficits really bother you so much, you must have been irate at the opposition for wanting even larger ones.  Thank goodness Harper held them in check ;-)

By the way, the "someone else's fault" thing is usually a lefty mantra.