Canadian Politics

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think its all a political game on this point.  the government will force Hydro down this path, with all the budget and job cuts, have all the bad press while they mull over the 10% hikes, so they can make sure they blame it all on the NDP, and everyone understands what happened at Hydro before they step in with some kind of money injection.

I think they will have to inject money.  Even if the NDP set Hydro up for failure, it would be irresponsible of the Cons to let Hydro raise rates like that.  As someone else said, we pay either way but the province can amortize a billion dollar expense a lot easier than average and lower-income people can absorb a potential 50% increase over the next few years.

But if the Cons really want to privatize, the NDP has handed them the excuse on a silver platter.  And massive force reduction is usually a precursor to that.

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm not in favour of privatization of Hydro.  For privatization to work, I believe there has to be competition, otherwise you have a private monopoly. 

Who would Hydro compete with to provide power to Manitobans?

I agree with you.  The reasons to privatize MTS dont exist with Hydro.  But taking Hydro private would make a lot of Conservatives and their pals very rich.  So IF its the desire of the Cons to do that, they have inherited a scenario that could be spun to average Manitobans as a "we had no choice" option. 

Cons are going to have to inject money into Hydro.  They just will.  And perhaps on the back of a 1% increase in the PST.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree with you.  The reasons to privatize MTS dont exist with Hydro.  But taking Hydro private would make a lot of Conservatives and their pals very rich.  So IF its the desire of the Cons to do that, they have inherited a scenario that could be spun to average Manitobans as a "we had no choice" option. 

Cons are going to have to inject money into Hydro.  They just will.  And perhaps on the back of a 1% increase in the PST.

What's easier for the Conservatives - raising taxes to 'bailout' Hydro or let Hydro raise rates? They campaigned on not raising taxes.

Edited by JCon

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

What's easier for the Conservatives - raising taxes to 'bailout' Hydro or let Hydro raise rates? They campaigned on not raising taxes.

Yeah but 50% over 5 years?  That ends up on the Premier's doorstep.  No way can they let that happen.  Rising rates is one thing but rising rates due to government mis-management is something else.  Not Cons' fault but they're the government now.  I dont think they will raise taxes but this bailout is a big pill they have to swallow.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah but 50% over 5 years?  That ends up on the Premier's doorstep.  No way can they let that happen.  Rising rates is one thing but rising rates due to government mis-management is something else.  Not Cons' fault but they're the government now.  I dont think they will raise taxes but this bailout is a big pill they have to swallow.

Problem they have is they need to seriously put that curve into gov't spending. By taking on further debt to bailout Hydro, they'll need to finance that somehow. Costs continue to rise and revenues are not increasing.

Eventually, they'll have to back off on the PST reduction, raise taxes or allow rates to climb. Or, maybe a combination of all three.

They're stuck.

Might have to give Trudeau a rare compliment.  He seemed well prepared for his first meeting with Trump.  Analysis of the video (which Im too lazy to find) seems to indicate Trump attempted the "pull in" handshake but Trudeau appears ready for it and maintains control.  Trump immediately gives up on the handshake.  Trudeau also went in hard and fast, grasping Trump's shoulder.

Im surprised Trump is even meeting with JT since it only makes Donald look older and more tired next to Trudeau.

46 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Might have to give Trudeau a rare compliment.  He seemed well prepared for his first meeting with Trump.  Analysis of the video (which Im too lazy to find) seems to indicate Trump attempted the "pull in" handshake but Trudeau appears ready for it and maintains control.  Trump immediately gives up on the handshake.  Trudeau also went in hard and fast, grasping Trump's shoulder.

Im surprised Trump is even meeting with JT since it only makes Donald look older and more tired next to Trudeau.

Here you go Lazy ass. :)

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/02/watch-justin-trudeau-scores-a-stunning-draw-in-han.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wherry-trudeau-trump-white-house-1.3980873

ANALYSIS

Justin Trudeau's visit a moment of calm in tumultuous Trump White House

Tone of Washington visit respectful - but the 2 leaders' distinguishing characteristics were hard to miss

By Aaron Wherry, CBC News Posted: Feb 14, 2017 10:34 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 14, 2017 1:41 PM ET

At the outset of his White House visit Monday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau inscribed the guest book in the White House's Roosevelt Room with a paraphrase of words Ronald Reagan delivered to a joint session of Parliament in 1987.

In the full passage, the U.S. Republican president observed that, "As two proud and independent peoples, there is much that distinguishes us one from the other, but there is also much that we share: a vast continent, with its common hardships and uncommon duties, generations of mutual respect and support, and an abiding friendship that grows ever stronger."

Canada and the United States, the president observed then, were "each built by immigrant refugees from tyranny and want." And from them came a commitment to freedom, human rights and democratic government. 

More Here

I think our our Kid did well. 

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Again, you present a talking point, hoping nobody will follow up on it.  Here's the entire context of the debate.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/conservatives-have-created-waves-of-islamophobia-muslim-leader-says-ahead-of-key-house-vote

A more accurate description would be I posted a brief twitter remark that delivered the factual observation as to what happened and did so on a message forum, thus openly inviting follow up.

Don't be argumentative for argument sake.

Liberals voted against a motion that condemned all racism.  That's a fact.  Finding a Muslim leader who blamed Conservatives for bigotry towards Muslim's is a nice headline but moronic.  It aligns with Liberals who said the Mosque attack in Quebec was a "direct result" of Conservatives.  That sort of political nonsense is divisive and inflammatory.

When they voted, did female MP's stand at the back of the room with their heads covered?

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Again, you present a talking point, hoping nobody will follow up on it.  Here's the entire context of the debate.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/conservatives-have-created-waves-of-islamophobia-muslim-leader-says-ahead-of-key-house-vote

I believe the idea of a talking point is to get people talking.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I believe the idea of a talking point is to get people talking.

Yup.  I actually looked back and surprised it took so long for a reply.  I thought it was relevant news.  But both sides playing politics and makes everyone look bad.  Any suggestion that attacks on Muslims is directly linked to Conservative motions should be nixed immediately.  The Liberals arent on moral high ground with that one.

I really hope our elected officials keep arguing over who hates racism the most, though.  Seems a reasonable use of their time.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup.  I actually looked back and surprised it took so long for a reply.  I thought it was relevant news.  But both sides playing politics and makes everyone look bad.  Any suggestion that attacks on Muslims is directly linked to Conservative motions should be nixed immediately.  The Liberals arent on moral high ground with that one.

I really hope our elected officials keep arguing over who hates racism the most, though.  Seems a reasonable use of their time.

I saw the post and was confused because I thought it was the Liberals making the motion.  So I looked into it and read all the backstory of what had led to the moment described in your post.  I concluded that it was all ridiculous (on both sides) and an absolute waste of time so I didn't bother to reply.  Creating a new "-phobia" is just the latest trend by people in power to shut down discussion.

Imagine being this misguided 

The participants promised to cover their heads and other parts of their bodies whenever they left the house, or were in the presence of men who were not blood relatives.

****what an example to all Canadian girls. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster