Canadian Politics

20 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

when I came back from a month-long trip through the Philippines with Mrs. KBF in 2013 I thought that Jollibee would do well in Canada.  Just wildly popular over there, and with significant Filipino populations in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Toronto they would be a big hit here.  Too bad I never followed up on it! :)

Edited by kelownabomberfan

32 minutes ago, bearpants said:

not sure if there has been any discussion about Trudeau's town hall in Winnipeg yesterday... Here's a cbc article about it... posted (legitimately) without comment...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/trudeau-winnipeg-town-hall-1.3953563

He literally says nothing.  And sounds foolish even saying that much.

Liberal stance on electoral reform:

a.  Cons win big majority with 39.6 percent of vote

Liberal Response:   Oppressive and unfair system, that denies people fair representation.  It must change.  Vote for us and we will make it an absolute priority, when we take power

b.  Libs win big majority with 39.5 percent of vote

Liberal Response:   We will "consult" Canadians, while, dragging it out.... until it is impossible to do anything about in the short term - then hope people will forget about it.   Until, like universal day care,  we will drag it out and promise it to people, in the next election campaign.

Hope all the suckers will get enough platitudes and selfies from the Dauphin .....to carry them through this period... 

thecanadianpress_logo.gif

OTTAWA — A new online video shows Conservative leadership candidate Kevin O'Leary firing automatic weapons, including a machine gun, during a visit to a gun range — a move one Liberal cabinet minister calls "dumb" and "insensitive."

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale takes issue with the timing of the video, which emerged the same day as funeral services for three of the six victims of last weekend's mosque shooting in Quebec City.

The short clip, posted on the video sharing service Vimeo, shows O'Leary blazing away at paper targets with a number of firearms, including what looks like a heavy-calibre sniper rifle.

oleary facebook post
A screengrab of the post O'Leary shared on Facebook and eventually deleted. (Photo: Kevin O'Leary/Facebook)

O'Leary is a businessman and star of the U.S. reality-TV show "Shark Tank" who has declared his candidacy for the leadership of the federal Conservative party.

He has said his business savvy will help turn around the economy and create jobs.

In Quebec City today, several thousand mourners including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau paid their respects to shooting victims Abdelkrim Hassane, Khaled Belkacemi and Aboubaker Thabti.

There were also prayers at the service for the three other victims — Azzeddine Soufiane, Mamadou Tanou Barry and Ibrahima Barry.

"I don't comment on the strange and bizarre behaviour of Conservative leadership candidates," said Goodale, who then characterized O'Leary's timing as "obviously crass, insensitive and exceedingly dumb."

ALSO ON HUFFPOST:

16 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

As a half-hearted JT supporter, This really makes me angry. He needs to make good on his promise of Electoral reform. 

Not without a referendum he shouldn't. Honestly I don't know why people even believed him when he promised that, it was clearly something they promised only to motivate a certain segment to vote for them. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I havent been overly interested in this specific subject but isnt the case of lack of voter appetite true?

It is but mostly because the issue has been buried. If the government was serious about electoral reform, they would have engaged in a real public discourse. That, unfortunately, did not happen.

Even if you don't support changing the current system, getting the public's attention and creating a real forum for idea exchange, does nothing but help our democracy.

From a political point-of-view, I'm not sure what the Liberals can run on next time? Lowering the deficit that the right-of-centre voters want? Not again. Electoral reform that the left-of-centre voters want? Not again. It's like they're squeezing themselves into an impossible situation where the left or right parties can push them out. Bizarre.

If the Cons elect a remotely interesting leader, Liberals are in trouble.  Canadians like the idea of new shiny things but they grow tired of them quickly...especially when they lied to get into office and are going to go into massive deficit for a generation.  If Bernier can deliver Quebec to an extent, I think the Cons win the next election.

29 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If the Cons elect a remotely interesting leader, Liberals are in trouble.  Canadians like the idea of new shiny things but they grow tired of them quickly...especially when they lied to get into office and are going to go into massive deficit for a generation.  If Bernier can deliver Quebec to an extent, I think the Cons win the next election.

too bad the Conservatives are running a collection of horrible candidates. 

But really this Liberal government is governing pretty much exactly like they have in the past which as we've seen is good enough to keep getting elected many times. 

Both the NDP and Conservatives are in a precarious position with their leadership and it will take them a while to rebuild to the point where they can threaten the Liberals. The Liberals simply avoid fucking up too badly they'll win the next election handily. 

Canada is in a new era politically.   Platitudes, photo-ops, hugs, selfies, navel gazing, side-stepping and utter inaction on all fronts.....is the order of the day.   The only real activity we will see from these guys...... will be the ole spend and tax cycle.  

Us ole timers will have to adapt, somewhat.