2017 - The Running Man

Rich

So we passed the Back To The Future year, now apparently we are into the Running Man year / future...

http://theconversation.com/the-violent-post-truth-2017-predicted-in-the-running-man-were-living-in-it-70726

Welcome to a world where fake news stories are used to manipulate public opinion. Dissent is no longer tolerated and all your communications are monitored; the economy is not functioning and reality TV is used to distract you from harsher realities. Welcome to 2017.

I don’t mean our 2017 but an imagined one from 30 years ago. This was the setting for 1987 movie The Running Man, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. The bad news? Much of this action-adventure slugfest looks eerily prophetic now that we’re here for real.

The conversation seems like a web site worth checking in on.

But as the author says, fake news is not a new thing.

Some examples of planted false stories in my lifetime that resulted in war are ....Gulf of Tonkin, Iraqi soldiers bayonetting Kuwaiti babies in incubators, Sadam has WMD (New York Times).

The Americans are the current absolute masters of Propaganda.

Right now it gets exposed more easily I think. But who knows.The world really is a house of mirrors isn't it?

Sometimes it might be preferable if the leaders would just tell the truth.

"I'm doing this cause it will make me vast sums of money, because I can because I have the power right now. And I don't care what you think."

I would prefer to hear that.

Also not sure why they bother, cause they never do anything other than what they want, and most people realize that.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

2 more year until we get to Blade Runner time.

Im sure the folks in L.A. would appreciate constant rain and flying cars.

Incorrect.  need some Androids that can do acrobatics .

Not happening within two years.