US Open Carry Laws and Gun Discussion

Jacquie

An update on the case:

Authorities said Gasser shot McKnight three times through an open window from inside his car with a semi-automatic handgun while McKnight was standing outside.

Normand said witnesses observed a "heated verbal exchange" between Gasser and McKnight before the shooting. However, Normand said one witness account, which said Gasser was standing over McKnight when he fired a shot, was factually incorrect and "did not happen."

Normand said three casings were located inside Gasser's vehicle, and coroner Gerry Cvitanovich said Friday that McKnight had wounds to his left hand and entry wounds to his right shoulder and the right side of his chest. 

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18188724/suspect-shooting-death-former-new-york-jets-rb-joe-mcknight-released-investigation-continues

Wpg has road rage murders

this is two years ago

A 31-year-old man, a passenger of the Infiniti, got out of the car to confront the people in the Charger.

That's when the driver of the Charger drove at the man, hitting him at a high rate of speed, before driving away, according to police.

The victim later died in hospital.

The men were in a dispute, "possibly due to the manner of driving," police stated in a news release Friday.

Best thing to do, here as well as the states, is stay in your car, and drive away from people that are gesticulating and swearing cause your driving offended them. I've had encounters with such people in the Peg.

Especially in the US where some States have legalized the carrying of guns & self defense laws. Back here, if there's someone acting irrationally aggressive towards you on the road then stay in your car, use your smart phone & call 911. Don't challenge them. If the other driver speeds off then get the license plate before calling police.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Especially in the US where some States have legalized the carrying of guns & self defense laws. Back here, if there's someone acting irrationally aggressive towards you on the road then stay in your car, use your smart phone & call 911. Don't challenge them. If the other driver speeds off then get the license plate before calling police.

Pretty much all states allow for the carrying of guns, and many have "open carry" laws where people can carry weapons without permits and wear them in holsters. One statistic I hear of some 20 years ago was that one on four cars in the US had a gun on board and I would imagine the percentage is a lot higher now.

I was in Northern Nevada a few years on vacation just driving thru. We were listening to the local radio station in this town we were in. A commercial came on from a local gun shop. The commercial was about personal safety & how owning & carrying a handgun would save not only your life but your family from hoodlums & thieves. Then they went on to describe the sale they had on different guns. Being Canadian, it was the most bizarre commercial I ever heard. 

30 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I was in Northern Nevada a few years on vacation just driving thru. We were listening to the local radio station in this town we were in. A commercial came on from a local gun shop. The commercial was about personal safety & how owning & carrying a handgun would save not only your life but your family from hoodlums & thieves. Then they went on to describe the sale they had on different guns. Being Canadian, it was the most bizarre commercial I ever heard. 

If you don't have a gun then the King of England can just waltz into your house and start pushing you around, do you want that?

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

If you don't have a gun then the King of England can just waltz into your house and start pushing you around, do you want that?

I really don't understand what you're trying to say. I'm just commenting on the fact we don't hear or see gun commercials on radio & tv. That's all I was alluding to. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I really don't understand what you're trying to say. I'm just commenting on the fact we don't hear or see gun commercials on radio & tv. That's all I was alluding to. 

It was a reference to the Simpsons, when Homer bought a gun and Marge was giving him a hard time about it.

It was a hilarious post, but not one that was disagreeing with you.

13 hours ago, tracker said:

Pretty much all states allow for the carrying of guns, and many have "open carry" laws where people can carry weapons without permits and wear them in holsters. One statistic I hear of some 20 years ago was that one on four cars in the US had a gun on board and I would imagine the percentage is a lot higher now.

Louisiana is one of the states with both open carry and "stand your ground" laws.

I'm wondering if the discussion of the murder of Joe McKnight should be moved to its own thread so this one can go back to being about regular off-season discussion.

Edited by Jacquie

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just as most Americans will never "get" Canadians and our culture, most of us Canucks will never "get" American values and culture. A few years ago, I was driving down the Interstate in Georgia and saw this huge sign rising above the trees. I told me that, a few miles ahead there was an enterprise which sold the cheapest, guns, ammo, booze and fireworks in the state-guaranteed. Can't see how that could possibly pose any problem. 

And the day after 9-11 was the highest sales of guns in the USA, ever. Fear is darned good marketing.

4 hours ago, tracker said:

And the day after 9-11 was the highest sales of guns in the USA, ever. Fear is darned good marketing.

"Be afraid, be very afraid" -- Bush, Cheney

Edited by J5V

I trust 17 to 85's post was in jest at least I certainly hope so. As a snowbird who travels south annually it has become very frightening reading the newspapers and watching TV about the gun violence in the US. The comments about increased gun sales after 9/11 are frightening and true.

In Arizona they have a open carry policy and when you are in wal mart and see someone walk in with an AK15 it makes you wonder.

The Americans have forgotten that the second amendment was written in the wild west days in order for someone to protect themselves when there was little law and order save perhaps a sheriff or two.

In todays society they have police forces that are well armed and manned. Just think of this scenario; a guy walks into Walmart with an AK15 and opens fire. All those who have weapons pull theirs and open fire as well. That results in a lot of bullets flying everywhere. Wonder what the damage would be? While I understand their desire and fear, perhaps more vigilance and support of the police would be a better alternative. I can only guess that the death or injured toll would be significantly higher in the scenario I presented than if the public let the police look after it.

On the other hand on Black Friday I attended the shopping frenzy for the first time and while it was very busy it was cordial and attended by many police armed and in kevlor vests. No incidents so there are some rational people here. Then again with that said twice they have voted to not inforce the use of cell phones while driving. Guess you win some and lose some. The wild west mentality remains however and that is frightening.

12 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

I trust 17 to 85's post was in jest at least I certainly hope so. As a snowbird who travels south annually it has become very frightening reading the newspapers and watching TV about the gun violence in the US. The comments about increased gun sales after 9/11 are frightening and true.

In Arizona they have a open carry policy and when you are in wal mart and see someone walk in with an AK15 it makes you wonder.

The Americans have forgotten that the second amendment was written in the wild west days in order for someone to protect themselves when there was little law and order save perhaps a sheriff or two.

In todays society they have police forces that are well armed and manned. Just think of this scenario; a guy walks into Walmart with an AK15 and opens fire. All those who have weapons pull theirs and open fire as well. That results in a lot of bullets flying everywhere. Wonder what the damage would be? While I understand their desire and fear, perhaps more vigilance and support of the police would be a better alternative. I can only guess that the death or injured toll would be significantly higher in the scenario I presented than if the public let the police look after it.

On the other hand on Black Friday I attended the shopping frenzy for the first time and while it was very busy it was cordial and attended by many police armed and in kevlor vests. No incidents so there are some rational people here. Then again with that said twice they have voted to not inforce the use of cell phones while driving. Guess you win some and lose some. The wild west mentality remains however and that is frightening.

A "'wild west mentality" is probably inaccurate. I visited Tombstone Arizona during a snowbird trip, and was told by the guide that most old west towns including Dodge City, Laramie etc required visitors to leave their guns at the local sherriff's office and pick them up on their way out of town. The main-street quick-draw duels were pretty much unheard of as a result.

As someone who owns firearms and has bought firearms recently, I was shocked and disappointed how much information I found about how suitable different guns are for self-defense. Trying to find information about how the gun is for hunting and there just seems to be so much more about how they can be used for self and home defense. Almost exclusively American sources. Couldn't believe some of the stuff I saw. The worst was talking about buying a gun for every member of the family, including buying a gun for a child with a specially shortened stock so they could protect the household in case the parents were incapacitated!

Edited by WildPath

You cant have a rational discussion about the second amendment with a gun nut.  There is a great TV commercial that sums it up showing a guy walking into an office with a rifle of the time of the founding fathers.  He aims it point blank and fires and misses.  He then has to load it in the style of the time.  Ofcourse everyone can easily escape. 

The fact there have been multiple amendments is indicative of the fact the constitution is not sacred and should be re-visited from time to time.

As for the gun violence, I think one of the issues is that people are not in the right frame of mind when an incident occurs.  Stress, fear, anger, adrenaline.  They cause people to act differently and irrationally.  This guy that shot the football player.  I bet, in that moment, he felt like he was well within his rights to kill a man because that man was being aggressive towards him.  We've seen it before.  There was a theatre shooting where a guy had a carry permit and shot someone and waited for police and claimed he had every right to do it.  In that moment, people think irrationally.  That is why police and military have special training.  And they still act irrationally.

I worked for many years in a high octane environment and it takes a lot of self restraint and self reflection to be understand how you react in those situations and recognize what is rational and just and what isnt.  I've belted people and, when Ive "calmed down", I regret my actions.  I've seen people make terrible errors in judgement because of anger, fear and a sense of righteousness.  Add guns to the mix and a lot of lobbying that tells people they have the right to "stand their ground".  It's ludicrous.