Adjusting Rules for 2017

BigBlue

I realize some on this site absolutely hate any rule changes to our fair CFL game ... still look how the changes to our convert rules for  example have made the game more interesting for the fans

For the coming year I suggest some kind of adjustment to the review process is in order ... I am interested to see how we can do it better, more fairly, and remove the frivolous reviews while keeping the referees in check/

To me one of the strangest most foreign rules is our touchback rule. It feels like NFL envy. In every other kicking situation we have the rouge, but on the kickoff we want to suspend the rouge for a team making an amazingly good kick. Lets change the rule back to scoring a rouge for kickoffs through the end zone. Lets get back to rouge consistency though our whole game.

Third, something a touch more surprising: change the scoring on a safety from two points to three points. The way the rules have changed teams are able to "buy" their way out of bad field position. All the hard work of good defense and punting coverage, can be disposed of for slightly more than a rouge. Make teams trapped deep in their own end work their way out of it, not buy their way out of it. Faced with the prospect of giving up three points and the either giving the ball back or getting the ball back which would you choose?

I would also like to see a change on infractions away from the play, especially on kick returns and on passing plays. I mean if you can't have pass interference because the ball was not "catchable" lets apply similar thinking to  slight contact infractions away from the play. I am not talking roughing but the normal jostling that is happening all over the field.

The last thing I would like to see different in the coming year is more certain and costly penalties and suspensions for injury maker infractions like helmet to helmet and roughing the passer. We need to keep our starting QBs upright. It seems the NFL  is doing a better job of this than we are. I don't know how exactly to make it better but we have to do something. I would like to see some "non-reviewable" or "non-appealable" automatic suspensions after so many roughing infractions. One game suspension and perhaps a two game and then three game if the practice by that player persists. I don't mind a player losing his livlihood for a week if he is taking it away from another player's career.

'

'

Edited by BigBlue

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I realize some on this site absolutely hate any rule changes to our fair CFL game ... still look how the changes to our convert rules for  example have made the game more interesting for the fans

For the coming year I suggest some kind of adjustment to the review process is in order ... I am interested to see how we can do it better, more fairly, and remove the frivolous reviews while keeping the referees in check/

Only thing I'd do here is eliminate the ability to manipulate the speed of the replays for anything other than "was he in or out of bounds" type calls. No more frame by frame replays of pass interference, basically.

To me one of the strangest most foreign rules is our touchback rule. It feels like NFL envy. In every other kicking situation we have the rouge, but on the kickoff we want to suspend the rouge for a team making an amazingly good kick. Lets change the rule back to scoring a rouge for kickoffs through the end zone. Lets get back to rouge consistency though our whole game.

Seems like changing the rules for the sake of changing the rules, which I am not a fan of.

Third, something a touch more surprising: change the scoring on a safety from two points to three points. The way the rules have changed teams are able to "buy" their way out of bad field position. All the hard work of good defense and punting coverage, can be disposed of for slightly more than a rouge. Make teams trapped deep in their own end work their way out of it, not buy their way out of it. Faced with the prospect of giving up three points and the either giving the ball back or getting the ball back which would you choose?

Don't like this idea at all for the same reason as above.

I would also like to see a change on infractions away from the play, especially on kick returns and on passing plays. I mean if you can't have pass interference because the ball was not "catchable" lets apply similar thinking to  slight contact infractions away from the play. I am not talking roughing but the normal jostling that is happening all over the field.

I like this, but only in theory. The only place I see it making sense is on special teams - where an illegal block away from the play entirely wipes out a return. It's stupid. I don't think you should be able to have IC on a receiver that didn't have the ball thrown his way, as there's no way to determine whether he could have or not had there not been the IC.

The last thing I would like to see different in the coming year is more certain and costly penalties and suspensions for injury maker infractions like helmet to helmet and roughing the passer. We need to keep our starting QBs upright. It seems the NFL  is doing a better job of this than we are. I don't know how exactly to make it better but we have to do something. I would like to see some "non-reviewable" or "non-appealable" automatic suspensions after so many roughing infractions. One game suspension and perhaps a two game and then three game if the practice by that player persists. I don't mind a player losing his livlihood for a week if he is taking it away from another player's career.

I don't know whether I'm board with this or not, however what I do know is that it won't happen this offseason. This isn't an amendment to the rules you're asking for with this one, it's an amendment to the CBA. You can't just decide to suddenly start imposing suspensions without writing it into the CBA.

One more to add beyond my comments on your suggestions - get the no yards rule pulled out of CFL football, since the referees have consistently shown an inability to figure out what a 5 yard buffer zone looks like. You'd have more accuracy flipping a coin on every return, to be honest. I know the fair catch rule is harder to get on board with because of the wider field, but too bad so sad. I absolutely hate the no yards rules in the CFL, entirely because the referees have proven incapable of applying them correctly.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

One more to add beyond my comments on your suggestions - get the no yards rule pulled out of CFL football, since the referees have consistently shown an inability to figure out what a 5 yard buffer zone looks like. You'd have more accuracy flipping a coin on every return, to be honest. I know the fair catch rule is harder to get on board with because of the wider field, but too bad so sad. I absolutely hate the no yards rules in the CFL, entirely because the referees have proven incapable of applying them correctly.

get out. Just get right out of here with talk like that. Refs might suck at calling no yards but it is so much better than the ******** fair catch nonsense that I'll live with it. 

On Challenges:

1. 60 seconds to make a change, otherwise go as called on the field.
  2. Slow mo only used for in vs out, fumble vs down, catch or no catch, not used for PI.
  3. Remove illegal contact from challengeable plays.

On a point for kick off through the end zone... I'd rather make it so the ball has to remain in the field of play to get any points for all kicks into the end zone. That way missing a FG doesn't get you any points unless the other team has a chance to run it out of the end zone.

On eliminating 5 yards halo on punts... Nope. It's way better than waving your hand while chanting don't hit me.

3 point safety? Nope. Just nope.

Infractions away from the play... gotta call them. You can't just let the players cheat as long as it's not on the play side.

1 review per game (regardless if you win or lose)- challenge any play you want (within the limits of the rules as they stand now) Refs have 1min to decide. No slow mo.

Bring back tackle football rules in regards to PI. I've watched some great plays by CB's in the NFL that would have been PI in the CFL and it's a damn shame. I've actually enjoyed watching the NFL due to not having every other deep pass play challenged when the CB makes a great play.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

1 review per game (regardless if you win or lose)- challenge any play you want (within the limits of the rules as they stand now) Refs have 1min to decide. No slow mo.

Bring back tackle football rules in regards to PI. I've watched some great plays by CB's in the NFL that would have been PI in the CFL and it's a damn shame. I've actually enjoyed watching the NFL due to not having every other deep pass play challenged when the CB makes a great play.

NFL is worse.  If a DB or LB touches a receiver after 5 yards it's a flag for holding.  The CFL just has to fine tune the challenges.

7 hours ago, BigBlue said:

'

'

The kickoff isn't an offensive play like a FG attempt or a punt or quick kick.  The point is for pinning the opposing team in the endzone or having the opposing team concede, kind of like a safety.  Doesn't need to be changed.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

You're right but it never used to be like this. I don't know if the officials were better back then but they used to call the 5 yard buffer zone pretty accurately back in the day. They sure don't have a clue now and I don't know why. 

23 hours ago, TBURGESS said:
  1. 60 seconds to make a change, otherwise go as called on the field.
  2. Slow mo only used for in vs out, fumble vs down, catch or no catch, not used for PI.

I really like these two... it just seems like such a no-brainer... which is why it will never happen :D

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎05 at 9:37 AM, 17to85 said:

get out. Just get right out of here with talk like that. Refs might suck at calling no yards but it is so much better than the ******** fair catch nonsense that I'll live with it. 

Disagree.

No yards is a joke.  There are way too many penalties in the average CFL game.   The no yards automatic penalty is a complete joke.  Bring the fair catch in and get the game moving. 

2 hours ago, basslicker said:

Disagree.

No yards is a joke.  There are way too many penalties in the average CFL game.   The no yards automatic penalty is a complete joke.  Bring the fair catch in and get the game moving. 

and when you say moving you mean not moving because the returner just takes a knee and doesn't go anywhere right? At least in the CFL you get the opportunity for a return every play which is well worth the few seconds it takes to call a penalty and set the after the infraction. 

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

and when you say moving you mean not moving because the returner just takes a knee and doesn't go anywhere right? At least in the CFL you get the opportunity for a return every play which is well worth the few seconds it takes to call a penalty and set the after the infraction. 

And yet .. there have been just as many punt return TDs in the NFL so far this season as there were in the entirety of the CFL season.  

When a penalty is being called inconsistently week to week, game to game and even series to series in some cases .. it's time to look and ask, "Is there a better way to do this?"

And yet .. there have been just as many punt return TDs in the NFL so far this season as there were in the entirety of the CFL season.  

Well, there are a few more games also..192 to date, vs 81 total in the CFL.

Also, with a fair catch, there is NO possibility of a good run back. You get the ball where you cry wah. 

In the CFL, there is always the possibility of action..one way or the other.

Edited by Mr Dee

50 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

When a penalty is being called inconsistently week to week, game to game and even series to series in some cases .. it's time to look and ask, "Is there a better way to do this?"

They play a lot more games a week than the CFL does. I am sure if there was 12-15 CFL games a week there would be a lot more CFL returns. Its not even all the returns for TD its the excitement of a punt return watch the guy try to weave his way through everyone.

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

yeah but who is talking about just TDs? There might be a better way to do it, but I am telling you right now that fair catch isn't a better way. How about we actually work on improving the quality of the officials? Then you don't have to worry as much about the inconsistencies. 

And I don't see what the problem is with having too many penalties called... if there's a penalty throw the flag. Guys can stop taking penalties if there's too many flags. What we need to do is work on getting the calls consistent and a lot of that comes from clearly defining things for the officials and making it as black and white as possible and get rid of a lot of the challenge bullshit which clouds the matter and brings in more elements of subjectivity.