The Expansion Draft

Ducky

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

But the word is Myers is dealing with a personal issue.  So if you leave him exposed and he's not hurt, they will snag him.  They might snag him even if he was hurt this whole time.  He'd be their #1 D on a great contract.

I wouldnt say Buff is untouchable down the road...but I think the Jets hope they are in the position where they'd want to keep him. If they trade Buff near the end of his deal its likely to a team going all in to contend for the cup.  Jets hope thats them

He'd be drafted in an instant. His contract eats 5.5m of the cap and he is only going to get 3.5m and 3m for the next two years. Now that Trouba is getting so much TOI, maybe Buff can sit bck and let someone else worry a bit about the O game. Without Myers, Buff has really been our only point producer from the back end although Trouba has started in the last dozen games or so.

I hope Poolman signs and comes as advertised...he has played both sides.

Maurice was asked about Myers today. 

Serious as I've ever seen him said... there is no progress. He's not getting any stronger. 

I think you could see myers go to LTIR or be bought out this off season. I think its a serious issue.  Maurice's demeanor said it all. 

8 hours ago, Ducky said:

He'd be drafted in an instant. His contract eats 5.5m of the cap and he is only going to get 3.5m and 3m for the next two years. Now that Trouba is getting so much TOI, maybe Buff can sit bck and let someone else worry a bit about the O game. Without Myers, Buff has really been our only point producer from the back end although Trouba has started in the last dozen games or so.

Maurice said he's made no progress and isn't getting stronger. If he's not bought out he's gonna be left exposed for sure. 

There is a big difference  

If it is a career ending thing you get insurance to pay the salary and no cap hit with LTIR. 

Buyout means money out of pocket and a cap hit over a number of seasons. 

It isn't even a decision if it is a career ending injury. You don't buy him out 

As for protecting him, if what you are reading into this is right (not yet convinced it is), then this may come into play. 

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

And if he isn't exempt and his career is done, then of course you don't protect him. 

20 hours ago, Ducky said:

Even if Poolman signs, what makes you think he can jump to the NHL? 

27 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

That's new to me.

Was answered by Rich earlier...

13 hours ago, Rich said:

There is a big difference  

If it is a career ending thing you get insurance to pay the salary and no cap hit with LTIR. 

Buyout means money out of pocket and a cap hit over a number of seasons. 

It isn't even a decision if it is a career ending injury. You don't buy him out 

As for protecting him, if what you are reading into this is right (not yet convinced it is), then this may come into play. 

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

And if he isn't exempt and his career is done, then of course you don't protect him. 

Chevy was willing to bit a $3.9 million bullet to protect Hellebuyck from expansion draft...  maybe this Myers thing is ending up as the same thing

Original injury is probably very real but maybe they are calculating the risk/benefit of sitting him out for the rest of the season - he will heal for 2018-19 and probably be exempt.

Then again, watching the gong show of player moves with this team... that's probably giving them too much credit

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Was answered by Rich earlier...

Chevy was willing to bit a $3.9 million bullet to protect Hellebuyck from expansion draft...  maybe this Myers thing is ending up as the same thing

Original injury is probably very real but maybe they are calculating the risk/benefit of sitting him out for the rest of the season - he will heal for 2018-19 and probably be exempt.

Then again, watching the gong show of player moves with this team... that's probably giving them too much credit

Not sure what you mean here?

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Not sure what you mean here?

Really not up for another expansion draft interpretations debate but...

I still believe Pavs was only sent down because we need to expose Hutch as our goalie and that Chevy had a real belief that Vegas would take Helle

Regardless of where Pavs was or who he was playing for or even if he was traded, if Hutch went to the Moose, he could still have been exposed and Helle protected though. Hutch is signed to an NHL contract so even if he played on the Moose, he would still fill our requirement for the expansion draft.

48 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Regardless of where Pavs was or who he was playing for or even if he was traded, if Hutch went to the Moose, he could still have been exposed and Helle protected though. Hutch is signed to an NHL contract so even if he played on the Moose, he would still fill our requirement for the expansion draft.

At first, I didn't believe this but if that actually is the case...  I might be convinced that the Jets just made a really really stupid personnel decision.

More likely, Chevy caught Pavs doing lines off his desk and was like 'Again?!'

Hutch ...  One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Pavs is an UFA so he doesn't figure nto the expansion draft for the Jets.

Stu ... One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ex. Matthias and Copp ... ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

These players would fill our MINIMUM requirements.....so for example, if we picked up Halak......we protect Helle and any other goalie we have that qualifies can be drafted...

same as forwards or D men.....if we go 4-4-1 and protect Helle, Myers, Buff, Enstrom, Trouba, Scheif, Wheeler, Lowry and Little, then one of Dano, Copp, Matthias, Armia, or MP could be drafted.

Muddy the waters more for you?

I was talking about Myers with a buddy and we were discussing him regarding the expansion draft.

If he comes back and plays before the end of the season, I would trade him for blue chip D prospect(s) before the expansion draft. If you can't or if he doesn't come back this year and has to be protected or be eligible for draft, do we prtoect him or leave him exposed and lose him to Vegas?

He is signed for two more years for 3.5m and 3m. Is it wiser to take that cash, if we lose him, and put it towards his/Enstrom's replacement or maybe a really good 3rd pairing D man? I lean towards taking that money and adding to it and going after a good UFA D man and my buddy said pick up a really good 3rd pairing D man. It would allow us to keep our forwards and force us to make a move on D because let's face it, after Buff, Morrissey, Trouba and Enstrom, we haven't had an NHL caliber D man play for this team this year. (Myers excluded) Chevy needs to address this and our goalie situation this off season. Alzner or Michael del Zotto or

I still say in the long run that losing MP would be the best for us but losing Myers and putting his salary towards another D man wouldn't be all that bad.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

On Maurice's interview today he said they will have news on Myers in the next few days

He also said that they are choosing to let the young players play when they make mistakes and not bench them. I think Chevy and Maurice knew they would be lucky to get into the playoffs this year. Play the kids and let them learn. Call up Connor and Comrie and Roslo and have a look at them before the end of the year too.

Dano sounds like he is about 10 days? away from returning.

Does Maurice sit Thorbs when Staf plays tomorrow? Does he sit Petan or send him back down? Tanev Hutch and Mel in the pressbox right now (send Mel back down?) and Chiarot not far away from coming back too. Roster limits don't expand until March 1...

Edited by Ducky
Mek to Mel

57 minutes ago, Ducky said:

He also said that they are choosing to let the young players play when they make mistakes and not bench them. I think Chevy and Maurice knew they would be lucky to get into the playoffs this year. Play the kids and let them learn. Call up Connor and Comrie and Roslo and have a look at them before the end of the year too.

Dano sounds like he is about 10 days? away from returning.

Does Maurice sit Thorbs when Staf plays tomorrow? Does he sit Petan or send him back down? Tanev Hutch and Mel in the pressbox right now (send Mel back down?) and Chiarot not far away from coming back too. Roster limits don't expand until March 1...

I repeatedly said I thought this season would be a step back season. But lack of effort has been the most damming thing. 

I wouldn't just call up young guys for the sake of it. There is still a development science and you don't throw it out the window because you have nothing to lose.