RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

On 4/18/2017 at 3:52 PM, Atomic said:

Basically what I'm getting at is that the season actually went quite well for most of our players, aside from the major injury to Myers and Little missing a quarter of the season.  Uncommonly well, in fact.  You can't point to many players on this team that under-performed or missed a lot of games.  This season would have been a great time to make a run, but we just didn't have the goaltending, and that's a shame.  Who knows what next year brings?

Playoffs.

Reading today that Martin Brodeur took over goalie coach duties around the time Hitchcock was fired and basically is credited with turning Jake Allen's season around...  however, now he is returning to Asst GM duties and Blues look for new goalie coach

Proof it doesn't take that long to turn a goalie around...

15 hours ago, Floyd said:

Reading today that Martin Brodeur took over goalie coach duties around the time Hitchcock was fired and basically is credited with turning Jake Allen's season around...  however, now he is returning to Asst GM duties and Blues look for new goalie coach

Proof it doesn't take that long to turn a goalie around...

Wait wait wait...you're telling me that a team with a talented goalie who struggles decided to change goalie coaches and that goalie coach helped elevate the goalie's play to star level?  What is this voodoo you speak of??  Never heard of that here.

Just now, Jimmy Pop said:

Agreed. I don't know what they do there....seems silly to me to waste a roster spot on him.

Jets - 1.a) _____________________________ 1.b) Hellebuyck

Moose - 1) Comrie   2) Phillips

But after last season it really would not surprise me if Helle/Hutch was the duo for next season.

On 5/11/2017 at 0:15 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

But after last season it really would not surprise me if Helle/Hutch was the duo for next season.

No way they stick with that tandem again. The Jets need a proven veteran, at the very least in a backup/mentor role capable of lightening the load for his counterpart. Hutchinson was an awful choice as a backup last season.

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

No way they stick with that tandem again. The Jets need a proven veteran, at the very least in a backup/mentor role capable of lightening the load for his counterpart. Hutchinson was an awful choice as a backup last season.

Hutchison was Helle a couple of years ago. A young goalie with potential. Well....

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hutchison was Helle a couple of years ago. A young goalie with potential. Well....

Not really... he was picked up off waivers with the hope he might work out... he was never "the future"... and now he's getting married to (one of the girls from) Jenna Rae Cakes... so it all worked out for him in the end ;) 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How do you figure? He was a waiver pickup and has essentially served as a stop gap and backup when Montoya wasn't re-signed. He had a good season back in 2014-15 but has been otherwise below average. He's been a known commodity for some time now.

Hellebuyck, OTOH, is part of the team's draft and development model, having played considerable time in the AHL and now in the NHL. He has shown he's capable of being a starter at the highest level but his workload was heavy in what was basically his sophomore season - hence the need for a proven veteran who can back him up/bail him out as needed. He's also three years younger and his ceiling remains to be seen.

18 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The whole Helle thing has been weird. Pav gets injured and they run a rookie for upteen games in a row.

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Didnt Hutch go from the ECHL to the NHL in one season?  I think they liked his trajectory...

Might have got a sniff in the NHL, but that year he went to the AHL from the ECHL was the year the Ice Caps made that playoff push.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Might have got a sniff in the NHL, but that year he went to the AHL from the ECHL was the year the Ice Caps made that playoff push.

He bounced back and forth between ECHL and AHL for 3 years before coming to the Jets organization then he went from ECHL to AHL to starting games with the Jets in his first year with us.

is this the place you guys are talking about coaching? 'Cause Friedman's 30 Thoughts had a note today about how Ed Olczyk might be talking with the Jets about joining Maurice's staff....

Edited by Noeller