RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

2 hours ago, pigseye said:

The Jets don't spend to their ceiling, if they did, they wouldn't have $9M in space this season. Pavs's salary is the only real relief next year.

The only reason the Jets have money is because they didn't spend it?

Capology!

6 hours ago, pigseye said:

Their hooped because they are tied to most of those contracts until 2018-19 while they wait for the prospects to develop. They still won't have a starting goalie and six capable defence men and only two forward lines producing any points. Who else is to blame for the product on the ice and managing the salary if not the GM?

They have a starter and another coming up through the system. They need a quality back-up.

We're, what, 7th in the league in scoring? How many games did our defensemen miss this year? 

Again, what's the problem with the salary? 

Hellebuyck should be in the AHL along with half the team who either can't play or don't belong in the NHL. We need a veteran goalie to carry this team the way Hellebuyck can't. Chevy needs to be replaced. The rebuild or whatever you want to call this thing is taking much too long. He refuses to go after prime free agents to help this team or make a trade even just to shake things up. As a Jets fan, watching Michael Frolik play for the Flames instead of us is frustrating. Maurice? Goofy line juggling of the forwards. You have the top right winger in Laine but he's not playing with Scheifle our top centre. Or he is then he isn't. You just don't know from game to game. Defensively we're a mess. The PK is brutal. the team is totally undisciplined taking too many dumb penalties that they can't kill off. Where's the accountability??? That's on Maurice. Then rumours are that Chipman will reward these two with contract extensions? What a joke. I'm with Stickem. If Cheveldayoff continues this slow whatever & the direction it's going then Chipman has to get rid of him.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Take Chevy with him. And Hellebuyck.

Well I'm not ready to quit on Hellenbuyck his defense is brutal at times.He could  of used a decent vet goalie to help him out too...I remember Johnathon Quick having a tough up and down couple of years.. goalies you have to be patient with...but throwing him to the wolves rests on Chevy and Pomo..

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

Well I'm not ready to quit on Hellenbuyck his defense is brutal at times.He could  of used a decent vet goalie to help him out too...I remember Johnathon Quick having a tough up and down couple of years.. goalies you have to be patient with...but throwing him to the wolves rests on Chevy and Pomo..

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

I've yet to see Hellebuyck steal a game for the Jets. Or go on a roll like Brian Elliott has done with the Flames after a rocky first half of the season for him. I've yet to see Hellebuyck go out stand on his head & win a game we should have lost just to show us what management sees in him. He makes saves he should make most of the time but seems to have a difficult time stopping the shots he shouldn't. He's average most of the time & mediocre a lot of the times. Has he been stellar? Not even close. Yet, this is the kid we hitched our wagons to.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

If we let Helle go he'll end up being Devan Dubnyk 2.0 on some other team.  I give you the KBF guarantee on that.

32 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

If we let Helle go he'll end up being Devan Dubnyk 2.0 on some other team.  I give you the KBF guarantee on that.

Yeah, but then maybe we find the next Carey Price first so you never know. I don't mind the kid backing up & seeing maybe 20 games worth of work next season but we definitely need a new legit #1 starting goaltender. Like I said, what has he done to show the confidence Chevy & Maurice have in him?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

18 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

ok you have the benefit of the Winnipeg media.  I am not sure what you are talking about?

He's made some statements like he does not think he's played that badly.

Pulled for the seventh time this season says otherwise.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Giving up on Hellebuyck?!?  See, this is what losing does. Makes us crazy.  Helle isn't 24 for a few months yet.  He's consistently succeeded at every level he's been at so far; 2 stellar NCAA seasons both W/L and save% were fantastic, 2 AHL seasons with poor teams, yet still .922 sv%.  And for all the griping about his play this year, he's still a .911 sv% through his first 75 NHL games. Pretty close to league average.

Only since Carey Price has already been mentioned - his save% his first 2 seasons (93 games total) = .920 yr1 and .905 yr2.   << Kinda looks like some Jet I know....

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, but then maybe we find the next Carey Price first so you never know. I don't mind the kid backing up & seeing maybe 20 games worth of work next season but we definitely need a new legit #1 starting goaltender. Like I said, what has he done to show the confidence Chevy & Maurice have in him?

We need what we should have had this year - a competent #2 who can push for starts and work with Helle in tandem.  I don't know goalies particularly well but I can't imagine it's easy being a 23 yr old starter, playing on a poor team without a vet G presence and a questionable goalie coach. 

Scheifele was sheltered by Little to start his career.  Trouba had vets in front of him.  Helle gets Hutch and a beer league keeper in Pavs. But sure, season's on him. :rolleyes:

PS - look at Jake Allen's struggles this year in St.Louis.  He's 26 and they're not giving up on him, btw.  I imagine having Marty Brodeur there doesn't hurt. 

Jake Allen: "I didn't have a lot of communication with Hitch. I think you need to communicate. I like to know if [the coach] has a problem [with my play]. If you [want to] change something, come talk to me. It's the easiest solution."

CBC Sports: Martin Brodeur has said when goalies struggle, no one talks to them and that makes things harder because you feel by yourself. How did you relate to his words during your struggles in late January?

JA: It's tough to look great as a goalie. Most of the time, you're the one either letting in a goal or losing the game, so no one wants to say anything or upset you, but at the end of the day you might need some talking to. I think it goes a long way. We [goalies] have Marty on our side if [inconsistent play] was to arise again. He would talk to us and we'd have someone to bounce things off. We're pretty lucky.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/jake-allen-blues-yeo-brodeur-1.4017722

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Scheifele was sheltered by Little to start his career.  Trouba had vets in front of him.  Helle gets Hutch and a beer league keeper in Pavs. But sure, season's on him.

Maurice has said similar things to this this year.  You can shelter rookies in most other positions on the match-ups you give them and the situations you put them on the ice.  As they learn and prove they can handle things, you can increase the things you ask them to do.  You can't with goalies, they are out there all the time for everyone to see the good and bad.

38 minutes ago, Rich said:

Maurice has said similar things to this this year.  You can shelter rookies in most other positions on the match-ups you give them and the situations you put them on the ice.  As they learn and prove they can handle things, you can increase the things you ask them to do.  You can't with goalies, they are out there all the time for everyone to see the good and bad.

Who's sheltering Maurice cause he's so exposed out in the open?

I suspect there is a team leader player who is ruining the attitude on this team.

Is there any other explanation for the up and down play they show?

Outstanding one game, don't give a **** the next. Even from one period to the next. That's not coaching.

I don't know who it is, but changing coaches won't change that.

Unless you get a coach who knows who it is, and puts an end to it with benching, send to the Moose, or trade.

There are guys who appear to think it doesn't matter all that much.

I would rather watch a team that's not good but trying, than good players that don't care. Don't know how the fans can stand it.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, Mark F said:

I suspect there is a team leader player who is ruining the attitude on this team.

Is there any other explanation for the up and down play they show?

Outstanding one game, don't give a **** the next. Even from one period to the next. That's not coaching.

I don't know who it is, but changing coaches won't change that.

Unless you get a coach who knows who it is, and puts an end to it with benching, send to the Moose, or trade.

This really is the most perplexing thing.  And the team, through their statements and what they feed media, is really pushing the false narrative of "youth".  We know the ups and downs with youth.  But youth isnt the reason the veterans look as disinterested as the rookies.  As some online pointed out, the player who seems most consistently to give a **** is the one who demanded a trade.  If HE can show up every game why cant anyone else?

There is a player issue or a coaching issue or both.  Coaching issue can definitely lead to a player issue. 

It's a player issue. Google what Olli jokinen said about the players disrespecting and talking back to Noel

Then put 2 and 2 together and realize the only guys here from then are wheeler buff Toby little stu Thor 

Wheeler? Seems unlikely buy you never know 

Toby and Little?  Doubt it 

Stu and Thor? Unlikely 

Who does that leave?  Buff plus the rumor is that buff and wheeler are not that buddy buddy which makes one assume that perhaps it's because wheeler tries his ass off every game while buff does not. 

Buff had 14 turnovers vs Calgary.  14. 

I'm all for firing Maurice but that's 2 coaches now who would be fired... meanwhile the same veteran core of losers stays the same. Gotta move a vet... you just have to. I find it funny... like I said I'd fire Maurice. But I'd also move a vet or 2 out and give the team to the kids. It's beyond time.  

Edited by Goalie