RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

IDK this is tough because I have been a fan of Maurice since he got here but.....I have noticed that he gets stuck on players (Burmi,Thornburn,Stuart) no matter what they bring to the team even had all 3 on the pk today!  The guy has been barely over 500 in his career and only been to the Stanley Cup final I think over 10 years ago. Perhaps we need to move on its tough because he is a great guy and a good coach just wonder is he a great coach?

I don't disagree with the idea of this topic. I think maurice definitely makes lots of very questionable roster decisions.  I think he definitely favors vets and vets can cost you goals every game and they don't get reprimanded.  A rookie does that and he's benched. 

And I don't think Maurice is the RIGHT coach for a fast skilled team.... but.... crazy schedule bunch of top 6 players out.... yeah.... it's tough. But I'm not sure little Perreault or stafford makes a huge difference in the big picture 

I'll give you an example of a fundamental problem 

You call up De Leo.... high energy guy with a non stop motor. Your team is quite obviously gassed and tired. You leave Burmi and thorburn in... and the fresh legs of De Leo sits. Now does De Leo make a difference? Probably not but he's got fresh legs and for a team that's gassed and tired... where is the logic in not playing him instead of Burmi or Thor. 

but when I pointed this out a week ago everybody was telling me to quit arguing. I can't remember who but somebody was bragging about the Jets being in second place when they had games in hand on everybody below them. They are in third place now and have  4 or so games on the two teams right behind them. The long road trip they had last November did them in as far as the playoffs go I hope this road trip doesn't do the same thing to them.

If we were getting at least average goaltending we would be a better team. Little's injury is affecting this team a lot more than some people realize.

Edited by Ducky

10 hours ago, bb1 said:

I just wonder what message it says to other players when a player that brings nothing to a team (Burmi) keeps playing....?

If the players for the Jets play poorly because Burmi starts as 4th line centre over De Leo, then they aren't professionals.  I guarantee you it says absolutely nothing to the other players.  Especially when the narrative of Burmi being awful isnt true.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Classic losing streak thread... 

I haven't been a big Paul Maurice fan for a while now. That being said, I'm nowhere near as educated of a fan when it comes to hockey as I am with football, so I tend to stay out of it but I just see plenty of things about Maurice that irk me a bit.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

I haven't been a big Paul Maurice fan for a while now. That being said, I'm nowhere near as educated of a fan when it comes to hockey as I am with football, so I tend to stay out of it but I just see plenty of things about Maurice that irk me a bit.

Why are you not a fan of Paul Maurice? 

For myself I see a lot of similarities between him and O'Shea and how they handle the media ,  players ,  roster management etc....

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Why are you not a fan of Paul Maurice? 

For myself I see a lot of similarities between him and O'Shea and how they handle the media ,  players ,  roster management etc....

We generally start with poor first periods, I'm not a huge fan of how often he likes to shuffle the lines - especially when he'll shuffle up combos because the previous ones have been slumping, then he'll run an entire game with a line that clearly has no chemistry, too patient with individuals (coughBurmicough) despite his general impatience with lines that aren't producing.

The difference between O'shea and Maurice is O'shea actually shows sign of learning from his past mistakes. Great example would be leaving in loffler when macho was obviously healthy.  Maurice would pull loffler once the vet wad healthy. 

Petan Dano Copp have all been good and when little stafford and MP are healthy will be sent down and Burmi and thorburn will still play 

26 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The difference between O'shea and Maurice is O'shea actually shows sign of learning from his past mistakes. Great example would be leaving in loffler when macho was obviously healthy.  Maurice would pull loffler once the vet wad healthy. 

Petan Dano Copp have all been good and when little stafford and MP are healthy will be sent down and Burmi and thorburn will still play 

If Maurice had to deal with the ratio, he would leave left the non-import too. Apples and oranges.

45 minutes ago, JCon said:

If Maurice had to deal with the ratio, he would leave left the non-import too. Apples and oranges.

The point being.... he favors veterans even if they are underperforming ones to younger players.  Go ask a Carolina fan (if you can find one, about Maurice) it's the same old story. 

Edited by Goalie