You be the Boss

Fred C Dobbs

25 minutes ago, Rich said:

I wonder if Nicols would look sexier if he had a receiver like Stegall to throw to like Glenn had here. 

Uncle Miltie was a once in a generation athlete who did not let his personal life get so messy that it became a distraction. We are still looking for that combination of intelligence, athletic ability and drive.

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

id say thats a good way to put it. though glenns best football here was pretty sexy. If nichols had a year next year like glenns best we'd be in phenomenal shape. 

Nichols agent is going to want big bucks. 

4 hours ago, tracker said:

Uncle Miltie was a once in a generation athlete who did not let his personal life get so messy that it became a distraction. We are still looking for that combination of intelligence, athletic ability and drive.

Thats the truth. He was the full package on the field. His stamina, and ability to maintain a high speed on every route through out the game was unprecedented. People throw around, the best athlete on the team/in the league a lot. And fast guys like speedy banks come along every couple of years by the hand full. And every fist full of years a guy comes along whose got charles roberts esq quickness. But you dont find guys whose slow speed is fast and doesnt fade at any point in the game. And thats not even to get into his amazing route running, or his un beatable psych game with the DBs.

No question milt was a king maker when it came to QBs he played with. Idk if I would prefer have milt and a bunch of league average guys around him at WR as we soo often seemed to. Or if Id rather have a group of guys who could all get 1k yards. Imop dressler, denmark, adams, gurley, and even smith are all capable of 1k campaigns. Harris could even get 1k catching 

On 11/18/2016 at 4:59 PM, wbbfan said:

Thats the truth. He was the full package on the field. His stamina, and ability to maintain a high speed on every route through out the game was unprecedented. People throw around, the best athlete on the team/in the league a lot. And fast guys like speedy banks come along every couple of years by the hand full. And every fist full of years a guy comes along whose got charles roberts esq quickness. But you dont find guys whose slow speed is fast and doesnt fade at any point in the game. And thats not even to get into his amazing route running, or his un beatable psych game with the DBs.

If you ever asked Milt, he'll tell you that was the reason he was so great... he says some guys could keep up with him in the 1st quarter but by the time 4th rolled around, no one could match his stamina and fitness... I don't recall if I heard him say that in an interview or in one of the times I met him...

9 minutes ago, bearpants said:

If you ever asked Milt, he'll tell you that was the reason he was so great... he says some guys could keep up with him in the 1st quarter but by the time 4th rolled around, no one could match his stamina and fitness... I don't recall if I heard him say that in an interview or in one of the times I met him...

yep, heard it too. And its the truth. He wasnt the blinding speedster some seem to think but just an over all athletic monster. Soo many football players come from track as sprinters. He was an endurance hero. not to mention as crafty as they come. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

yep, heard it too. And its the truth. He wasnt the blinding speedster some seem to think but just an over all athletic monster. Soo many football players come from track as sprinters. He was an endurance hero. not to mention as crafty as they come. 

Not disagreeing with your point, necessarily, but early in his  career Milt was VERY fast. He was used on kick returns early on, and had one kick return TD early in his Bombers career...

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not disagreeing with your point, necessarily, but early in his  career Milt was VERY fast. He was used on kick returns early on, and had one kick return TD early in his Bombers career...

No doubt he had serious speed early in his career... what defined him was that speed was still 100% in the 4th quarter...

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

He was fast but the way I always remember him saying it was it wasn't just the fact he had speed, it was that he was in such good shape that over the length of the field he could out run anyone cause he had more stamina than they did, and I'd believe that. plus he was smart enough to know where to get himself on the field to have some space to work with. 

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

Certainly not slow, even in his last years struggling with injuries. He was football fast. Blink also got a ton of use on kick returns and did even better, but was quick and not fast. Milt was more well rounded. He wasnt blazing speed world class track runner fast. And he wasnt blink quick. He was in between with the ability to beat you with one move or in an endzone sprint. Even if he had to take an angle. :P

2 hours ago, Logan007 said:

He also had very good burst speed.  He would run normally but if he saw the ball was going over his head he had this sprinting burst of speed he could turn on for a few seconds just to catch up with it.

Yeah he had better use of gears then the huge majority of WRs. Part of that was his incredible athletic ability, and part his savant like genius football IQ.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Milt ... don't forget how tough he was.

don't think he missed many games, I suspect he played hurt, now and then

and how many tough catches where he knew he was going to get hammered did he make?

damned right. He took some horrible shots and still played. And at 185 pounds. Blink gets the much deserved credit for being tough. Running at 171 (allegedly) up the guy through people and not being taken down by arm tackles (unless they held his jersey LOL) but milt played over the middle and made his career playing full speed in the danger zone, in an era of football that was much harder nosed then now. Now if you sneeze too hard you get a penalty. 

20 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Just imagine Milt with the new rules - he'd be blowing past every DB on the field 

Hed have more yards ands Tds then half the qbs in the league LOL. 

Remember the horrible mug jobs DBs used to get away with in the late 90s early 2ks? Not to mention the BS some defenders got away with when it comes to cheap shots. (cough cough phillion) The pendulum has swung far too much in the other direction. 

6 hours ago, do or die said:

Well, there is track speed.....and football speed, in pads.  

Milt had blazing football speed - if he got out front, he was never caught, by anyone.....ever.   

milt used angles to get away from A LOT of faster dbs. He got run down from behind many times. But it was almost allways a case of a DB just making a fantastic play. He would zigg zagg and instead of trying to walk the side lines (in heavy part due to his play over the middle) run to a corner making the DB have to run a much longer distance  and maintain that intercept speed.

Seriously american or canadian milt is one of the 3 wrs every single college/HS kid with greater aspirations in football should watch religiously.