Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rich

US Politics

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Mark F said:

Trump approval rating two days ago CNN..... 42%. 

 

 

Not surprising. Out here in the rural areas, we have the same thing on a smaller scale.  The Conservative Candidate in Selkirk - Interlake routinely wins by 6000 - 12000 votes, regardless of what is happening federally.  If you look to Alberta, the gap widens even further. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark F said:

We're holding her because Huawei was illegally trading with Iran, which are under sanctions. (Yet to be proven in court)

Whether you agree with the sanctions or not, we have an agreement with the US. We wouldn't want them breaking that agreement and, despite having a bigly idiot as their president, they remain our most important ally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JCon said:

We're holding her because Huawei was illegally trading with Iran, which are under sanctions. (Yet to be proven in court)

Whether you agree with the sanctions or not, we have an agreement with the US. We wouldn't want them breaking that agreement and, despite having a bigly idiot as their president, they remain our most important ally. 

Yup.  We cant thumb our nose at agreements with the US just because of Trump.  In fact, I doubt it much matters.  The people running those departments on both sides likely have much more respect for each other than any national leader can change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JCon said:

We're holding her because Huawei was illegally trading with Iran

 

"In December 2010 it was reported that the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control had approved nearly 10,000 exceptions to U.S. sanctions rules worldwide over the preceding decade by issuing special licenses for American companies.

 

Quote

 

Whenever Canadian canola receives national attention, it isn’t usually a good news story.

Officially, the Chinese say the cancellation of Richardson canola exports is due to some sort of pest problem in shipments. Although this is highly unlikely, it isn’t impossible. Remember back when traces of unregistered genetically modified flax were found in Europe? Canadian officials initially discounted the possibility.

If indeed, as most observers expect, the Chinese action is a response to the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou, this opens the door to an array of questions and scenarios.

The even bigger question is what happens next. Will other Canadian exporters be targeted? There must be a certain level of trepidation as Richardson’s competitors load vessels of canola bound for China.

And we shouldn’t forget that China is a leading buyer of other Canadian commodities, most notably wheat, peas, flax and barley.

 

https://www.producer.com/2019/03/latest-china-canola-controversy-not-easy-to-fix/

 

We are in a tough spot, I don't know what our solution is, but much of the world is finally starting to stand up to America thinking it owns the planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Not surprising. Out here in the rural areas, we have the same thing on a smaller scale.  The Conservative Candidate in Selkirk - Interlake routinely wins by 6000 - 12000 votes, regardless of what is happening federally.  If you look to Alberta, the gap widens even further. 

Hey I will have you know that Selkirk-Interlake is a very progressive and forward thinking area that is in no way shape or form filled with rednecks...... oh no wait, the opposite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark F said:

 

"In December 2010 it was reported that the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control had approved nearly 10,000 exceptions to U.S. sanctions rules worldwide over the preceding decade by issuing special licenses for American companies.

 

https://www.producer.com/2019/03/latest-china-canola-controversy-not-easy-to-fix/

 

We are in a tough spot, I don't know what our solution is, but much of the world is finally starting to stand up to America thinking it owns the planet.

Not the same thing- I agree that the pesticide "issue" is a political one, but the Triffid Flax issue was very real. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/attack-of-the-triffids-has-flax-farmers-baffled/article4216261/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark F said:

 

"In December 2010 it was reported that the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control had approved nearly 10,000 exceptions to U.S. sanctions rules worldwide over the preceding decade by issuing special licenses for American companies.

 

https://www.producer.com/2019/03/latest-china-canola-controversy-not-easy-to-fix/

 

We are in a tough spot, I don't know what our solution is, but much of the world is finally starting to stand up to America thinking it owns the planet.

I'm certain the charges against Wanzhou would disappear if China gave into US demands on trade. I'm certain the detention is politically motivated. 

I'm also certain Huawei was "illegally" dealing in Iran and that many US companies are too. 

But, we have an agreement and until the US drops the charges or she's extradited, we have a legal obligation. 

This does not help Canada-US relations because it's obviously politically motivated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-03-21 at 7:52 AM, 17to85 said:

Hey I will have you know that Selkirk-Interlake is a very progressive and forward thinking area that is in no way shape or form filled with rednecks...... oh no wait, the opposite. 

define "progressive and forward thinking", because to me that phrase is actually an oxymoron in a lot of ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

define "progressive and forward thinking", because to me that phrase is actually an oxymoron in a lot of ways.

it's pretty self explanatory. Most conservatives these days are regressive in their thinking trying to reclaim past glories rather than accepting what the future will bring and adapting their positions to fit into that future. 

 

but hey I was mostly just making a joke at the expense of the area I grew up in, no need to get too bogged down in the details of the phrasing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything, calling someone progressive and forward-thinking is a bit of a redundancy. They're synonymous terms for the most part.

In other words, they're the exact opposite of an oxymoron.

Someone may want to consult a dictionary and/or a thesaurus before commenting next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Well this explains a lot. Thanks for the clarification- it will help in the future.

why does it explain a lot?  It just seems like people are assigning themselves a high moral ground here that is completely undeserved, just because they identify with a specific political group.  Anything that disagrees with this political group's ideology is immediately labeled "regressive" (whatever that even means) no matter what the points of disagreement may be.  Case in point - if you question the 12 year death sentence certain politicians have put on the planet due to the man-made climate change hypothesis, you are suddenly "regressive", which is just plain silly.  Being "progressive" seems to be to actually be pretty regressive in a lot of ways, and extremely damaging to the environment and the economy.  

So to sum up, the moral preening of those labeling themselves "progressive" is pretty hard to stomach, and also pretty hypocritical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice article on AOC:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/ocasio-cortez-again-proves-shes-clueless-on-economics

man is she clueless, about just about everything.  Her policy ideas are silly and unsupportable, and would really cause a lot of economic and societal damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

it's pretty self explanatory. Most conservatives these days are regressive in their thinking trying to reclaim past glories rather than accepting what the future will bring and adapting their positions to fit into that future. 

interesting take on it.  I agree that both sides, left and right, need to adapt their positions to fit into the future, for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

If anything, calling someone progressive and forward-thinking is a bit of a redundancy. They're synonymous terms for the most part.

In other words, they're the exact opposite of an oxymoron.

Someone may want to consult a dictionary and/or a thesaurus before commenting next time.

But that's my point - calling these terms "synonymous" is extremely misleading.  In certain peoples' opinion they are synonyms, but not really.  In fact, as demonstrated by a lot of self-identifying "progressives", like Bernie or Elizabeth Warren for instance, they have a lot of extremely non-forward looking views, in terms of taxation and spending.  To say that Bernie Sanders is both "progressive" and "forward looking" may be the opinion of some, but it's just an opinion, not a truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AOC:

- Invest in reducing greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero

- Invest in making the US a leader in clean energy technology

- Federal Jobs guarantee

- Basic income

- Universal Healthcare 

- 70% tax rate on super wealthy

- Reform ICE

- Supports LGBTQ rights

- tuition-free public colleges

My God, what a monster.  People calling her names either 1) are scared to death of her ability to push issues to the fore that are important to many people  2) have heads burred in sand and dont know what they're talking about.  Which is not to say you have to agree with her policies but to dismiss them with pettiness shows an ignorance to them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...