US Politics

Rich

14 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I can't be bothered to read any of his wonderful books but I'd bet he laid his strategy out in writing beforehand, just like Hitler did.

I'll save you some time (from the guy who wrote "Art of the Deal") :  "Fear is the hidden through-line in Trump’s life – fear of weakness, of inadequacy, of failure, of criticism and of insignificance. He has spent his life trying to outrun these fears by “winning” – as he puts it – and by redefining reality whenever the facts don’t serve the narrative he seeks to create. It hasn’t worked, but not for lack of effort."  

https://www.theguardian.com/global/commentisfree/2018/jan/18/fear-donald-trump-us-president-art-of-the-deal

19 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I can't be bothered to read any of his wonderful books but I'd bet he laid his strategy out in writing beforehand, just like Hitler did.

Just now, Wideleft said:

I'll save you some time (from the guy who wrote "Art of the Deal") :  "Fear is the hidden through-line in Trump’s life – fear of weakness, of inadequacy, of failure, of criticism and of insignificance. He has spent his life trying to outrun these fears by “winning” – as he puts it – and by redefining reality whenever the facts don’t serve the narrative he seeks to create. It hasn’t worked, but not for lack of effort."  

https://www.theguardian.com/global/commentisfree/2018/jan/18/fear-donald-trump-us-president-art-of-the-deal

Trump is not an intellectual. His presidency is a product of timing, some populist planners and foreign government intervention. He has no plan.

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Trump is not an intellectual. His presidency is a product of timing, some populist planners and foreign government intervention. He has no plan.

I find it hard to believe he's authored close to 20 books, the most foreboding being, "The America We Deserve" written back in 2000.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

As I recall, they assumed they'd lose and were going to leverage the discourse among his "base" to create a new far right national media empire.  They were quite surprised to win.  And I think part of the issue with Trump is he conducted his business with that expectation.  So when he defends doing business with Russia as "of course I continued to do business, so what, Im a businessman" its because he really feels that way and got caught operating as though he'd lose.

I suspect the Russians would have screwed with Hilary regardless of who her opponent was.  It just so happened that they had someone willing to work with them because he wanted to for his own financial gain (and hobnobbing with dictators) and/or because they had compromising material on him.  There is speculation of Trump laundering money for Russians so it would be a no-brainer to continue working with them and even if he decided to take being President seriously, he couldn't because he was compromised.

His desire for power was his undoing.  Running for President was the biggest mistake he ever made.  Because he won.  Because Russia helped him.  Because he motivated the racist alt right.  If he had lost, we'd be talking about TrumpNews like we talk about FOX.  

Losing meant a new empire and a global celebrity and power.  Winning could very well mean the end of his business empire and/or worse.

19 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Yes many things help propel Trump to the Presidency including his opponent, Hilary Clinton is just an unlikable person, with a lot of skeletons.

Regardless, she won the election.  She had Trump whooped with A LOT working against her.  The Dems shouldn't sleep on that fact and try to re-invent the wheel.

2 minutes ago, bustamente said:

The Supreme leader will grace the television tomorrow evening to declare a state of emergency and tell the people that the wall will be built just like he promised.

Interesting that several networks may not carry the speech. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-to-travel-to-southern-border-thursday-sarah-sanders-says

So... he's going to declare a state of emergency to build his ******* wall... to defend them from what? The CARAVAN!? So dumb. 

On a side note- good to see they are using Bill shine's propaganda talents....  

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Apprehensions of unauthorized immigrants along the Southwest border last fiscal year, declined to about 300,000, the lowest level since 1971, according to data from U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

This so called need for a "national state of emergency" is going to be a tough sell. 

What a prediction to get behind, that the incumbent is most likely to win.   lol  tell me last week's Lotto Max numbers too.

Anyway, of course, the Dems didnt screw up at all.  They ran a good campaign and had Trump beat.  They lost a narrow Electorate College, won a very large popular vote.

If the Dems can be blamed for Trump conspiring with Russia and Wikileaks, Russia's anti-Hilary campaign and help to Trump, Rudy's conspiring with the New York FBI to pressure Comey into a ridiculous undermining of Clinton (which he tried to walk back like a week later) and the imbalanced media that covered Hilary feeling faint one day as the worst thing ever vs Trump's lack of...well, lack of stable mental faculties...then, sure, the Dems better figure something out.

Minus the Russia interference, Hilary wins running away.  Even with the Russia interference, she very likely wins without Comey's BS.  She might have won had Trump not paid off his mistresses.  

The Dems should examine the 2016 election very closely but not because they ran a bad campaign.  They need to be united from the beginning and stop cutting each others balls after in the primaries.  They need to be prepared to be dirty and use social media better.  Its always a long uphill battle against an incumbent.  But if they run the same campaign, 9 times out of 10 they win.