US Politics

Rich

WASHINGTON — President Trump told the White House counsel in the spring that he wanted to order the Justice Department to prosecute two of his political adversaries: his 2016 challenger, Hillary Clinton, and the former F.B.I. director James B. Comey, according to two people familiar with the conversation.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The States have been letting the Saudis off the hook for ages regardless, Trump is just the most blatant about it. 

And he's also the the President to not separate himself from his business upon taking office. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-and-saudi-arabia-deep-business-ties-spark-new-scrutiny/

I think Trump's strategy as it relates to Whitaker is not to have him fire Mueller.  Because if he did, its a constitutional crises since Whitaker is not Senate confirmed.  I think it's merely to have a spy in the Special Counsel's office.  When Sessions recused himself, he was not privy to what Mueller's team was doing.  All requests and indictments etc went to Rod Rosenstein who was, it seems, effectively allowing Mueller to run the show.

Whitaker might not stop Mueller, but he's now privy to everything and likely, passing it on to Trump.

Additionally, the reason Trump has now provided his written answers and renewed calls to wrap up the investigation, is because Mueller submits his report to the AG and the AG chooses what to do with it.  Before Sessions was fired, that meant Rod and he would then decide whether to submit to Congress for impeachment (or even authorize indictments on Trump...which would kick off another round of legal battles).  He also decides if the report is made public.

Whitaker becomes the gate keeper.  It means Trump will get to know whats in the report and it could potentially be kept from the public.  I dont expect Congress to let that happen, but it could turn into a legal battle.

Since Whitaker can only serve for a period of time, that time is now to try to wrap this up.  There is some question as to whether Whitaker is even allowed to be Acting AG since he's never been confirmed by Senate.  But certainly, they must have a confirmed AG in there at the end of the temporary acting period (I think its 200 days).  Even as partisan as the Senate is, Im not sure they'd confirm someone who is merely a Trump stooge who's intent on screwing with Mueller.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Remember when people said they wanted a successful businessman as President and not a "politician"?  Well, when you elect someone who has no clue how government works and is used to getting his own way like a big baby, this is what happens.  

He's not that successful. 

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ha, I knew that would come back to bite me.  I was trying to be as fair as possible because I think Trump supporters THINK he's successful.

Well, he does have money. But, when you look at how he's achieved anything, it's been through his Dad's money and bullying. He doesn't pay his contractors or lenders. On his own, he's nothing. But, when you're white and privileged, you get away with everything. 

And now, his enablers will protect him. 

33 minutes ago, JCon said:

Well, he does have money. But, when you look at how he's achieved anything, it's been through his Dad's money and bullying. He doesn't pay his contractors or lenders. On his own, he's nothing. But, when you're white and privileged, you get away with everything. 

And now, his enablers will protect him. 

He's always been just smart enough to link himself to others, bankers etc, so that he can walk away, go bankrupt, stiff people because those people end up losing more if they force him to collapse.  He really puts everyone else at risk for his own interests.

But running for President was stupid.  Well, running...maybe not.  Winning...stupid.  Because he's exposed all his hangers-on and minions and partners to criminal investigations (or worse if they flip and piss off the wrong people).  

If his kids are indicted, will Donald take the heat to try to protect them?

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If his kids are indicted, will Donald take the heat to try to protect them?

Do you think he would protect his kids? I don't see it. It's not in him. He does everything for himself. He is truly one of the most selfish, self-centered people I've ever seen. He has no regard for the damage he does. 

His lives his life in his on bubble and surrounds himself with "yes" men. 

Edited by JCon

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Do you think he would protect his kids? I don't see it. It's not in him. He does everything for himself. He is truly one of the most selfish, self-centered people I've ever seen. He has no regard for the damage he does. 

His lives his life in his on bubble and surrounds himself with "yes" men. 

He seems extremely protective of Ivanka but not so much the sons.  And supposedly not so much Kushner.  Hard to say.  If they had Ivanka dead to rights on something that would put her in jail but he could take the fall to get her off the hook?  Yeah, I cant see it,.  I think he'd fight it.  In his mind, at his age, get the lawyers to fight it out for the next few years.  For someone of Ivanka's age (or the sons) with kids...you dont take chances unless you're confident or stupid.

I think if the walls begin closing in, Trump will issue blanket pardons to his family.  

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

He seems extremely protective of Ivanka but not so much the sons.  And supposedly not so much Kushner.  Hard to say.  If they had Ivanka dead to rights on something that would put her in jail but he could take the fall to get her off the hook?  Yeah, I cant see it,.  I think he'd fight it.  In his mind, at his age, get the lawyers to fight it out for the next few years.  For someone of Ivanka's age (or the sons) with kids...you dont take chances unless you're confident or stupid.

I think he would throw all the resources at his disposal at protecting Ivanka and maybe some of his other kids. But I don't think he would ever plead guilty to something or take a deal to protect her.