US Politics

Rich

If true, very odd that Rosenstein would resign to Kelly. That makes no sense. 

Also, if true, I wonder if Rosenstein let Mueller know ahead of time in order let him get things in place to bring down indictments immediately. Of course, we don't know how many more indictments he already has. 

It’s all over the place. Reports are White House will demand he resign but Rosenstein will refuse and insist on being fired.  White House saying he reigned so they are trying to spin it. 

Doing it with Trump at the UN so Kelly does it. 

Mueller probe should fall to next person and I’ve heard it won’t change anything but wonder if trump tries to install someone new to end the probe. Hopefully mueller has his ducks in a row. 

I hope Mueller has kept copies of everything "off-site" with a nuclear option to get the file in the hands of media or something in the event he's fired.  

I know the Trump supporters are quiet (or they dont read this thread) and feel its an echo chamber but really, this admin is chaos.  Absolute chaos.  

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Trump is meeting with Rosenstein on Thursday. Everyone stand down until then.

I wonder what else is happening on Thursday, hmmmm...

Theyre not even trying to be cute anymore.  I think they will march ahead because they really dont care.  Clearly they knew of the second allegation against Kav which is why they were trying to force Ford's hand for a Monday hearing (or to pressure her into not testifying).  They wanted the vote to confirm him before any more allegations came forward.  Based on his record and now these allegations, there is simply no way he should be confirmed.  He should be pulled and they should nominate someone else.  But they dont want to be seen as weak.

Problem is, they are sort of screwed.  If they pull him now, they have to try and push a nomination through before the mid-terms.  They will look defeated which hurts them in the election.  Pushing Kav through is going to hurt them in the mid terms anyway.  Firing Rosenstein this close to the mid-terms would be an epic disaster.  

Trump might just double down and fire everyone including Sessions and Mueller and hit the mid-terms with the message "if the Dems win control of Congress, they will take down this admin and mire the nation in a crises."

Of course, never under-estimate the stupidity of the electorate.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Theyre not even trying to be cute anymore.  I think they will march ahead because they really dont care.  Clearly they knew of the second allegation against Kav which is why they were trying to force Ford's hand for a Monday hearing (or to pressure her into not testifying).  They wanted the vote to confirm him before any more allegations came forward.  Based on his record and now these allegations, there is simply no way he should be confirmed.  He should be pulled and they should nominate someone else.  But they dont want to be seen as weak.

Problem is, they are sort of screwed.  If they pull him now, they have to try and push a nomination through before the mid-terms.  They will look defeated which hurts them in the election.  Pushing Kav through is going to hurt them in the mid terms anyway.  Firing Rosenstein this close to the mid-terms would be an epic disaster.  

Trump might just double down and fire everyone including Sessions and Mueller and hit the mid-terms with the message "if the Dems win control of Congress, they will take down this admin and mire the nation in a crises."

Of course, never under-estimate the stupidity of the electorate.

McConnell has already said that they're going to confirm Kav. It's a done deal. The fact that the President is a sexual predator, which they seem absolutely fine with, probably means that the GOP just doesn't care. 

And the electorate has already proven to be stupid. 

Geez Kellyanne is slipping. Right wing nuts always resort to whataboutism when they have nothing else and she compared Kav to two men who had allegations of years-old incidents come back to bite them, ending their careers (and possibly their freedom). An odd comprising but I guess all they have left. 

So why is the senate so determined not to question Mark Judge, the apparent witness to this assault and pal of Kavanaugh?  Because lying on Twitter is one thing but lying to Congress is something else...?

And 

anyone think the White House is plannng to pull the nomination and use firing Rod as the cover?

Edited by The Unknown Poster

This is where he loses people.  Why lie about this?  If he said look I was in high school and I went to parties and we drank.  And like most parents I tell my underage kids don’t drink but I am not naive so I also tell them to call a cab or call me for a ride.  

To lie about this, to try and spin even this to make him seem squeaky clean just taints everything else he says 

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is where he loses people.  Why lie about this?  If he said look I was in high school and I went to parties and we drank.  And like most parents I tell my underage kids don’t drink but I am not naive so I also tell them to call a cab or call me for a ride.  

To lie about this, to try and spin even this to make him seem squeaky clean just taints everything else he says 

That is the beauty of a fox interview over an FIB investigation.... lying is preferred and reprecussions be damned when doing fox.

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

That is the beauty of a fox interview over an FIB investigation.... lying is preferred and reprecussions be damned when doing fox.

Well sure and I didnt watch but from the reactions online, it doesnt sound like the interview did him any good.  He's now on record lying.  You've got Trump attacking victims (when even Mitch McConnel told him that was only hurting Kav) but Trump doesnt know any other way based on his response to his own sexual assault/harassment allegations

I think the GOP knows this is a lost cause unless Dr Ford implodes on Thursday.  They will use it as a rallying cry (the Dems conspired to vilify a great man and will take down the President) for the mid-terms.

Kav claims he has calnadard from when he was 17 that he kept detailed about his social activities?  Come on... oh and he didnt note "raped a chick" so I guess he's off the hook.  But he wont release material pertaining to his work?  He wont reveal where $200,000 in debt went right before his nomination?  His own room mate says he was a drunk and his alleged behaviour is in keeping with his character.

He should have got in front of this and said yeah, I was a smarmy, drunk frat boy, who wasnt?  And let the chips fall.  He's made it a lot harder for Republicans.  And let's not forget his arrogant assistant who repeatedly made the White Power sign on camera while he testified in the US SENATE!  

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He should have got in front of this and said yeah, I was a smarmy, drunk frat boy, who wasnt?  And let the chips fall.  He's made it a lot harder for Republicans.  And let's not forget his arrogant assistant who repeatedly made the White Power sign on camera while he testified in the US SENATE!  

The GOP will just continue to shout down everyone and ram this through. 

I read this morning, that if Kav withdraws, they won't have time to get another SCOTUS judge approved before the midterms. Whooboy that would be interesting. 

14 minutes ago, do or die said:

Hey, establishing that you were a non-drinking virgin in high school is pretty important....

haha, I mean, this strategy is just the dumbest thing ever.  Not only does no one believe it but it doesnt matter anyway.  basically he's saying you cant sexually assault someone if you're a virgin?  The guy is up for a SCOTUS job and he doesnt understand how sexual assault work?  That should preclude him right there.  He thinks you can waive your ******* in a woman's face, hold a woman down and try to take off her clothes against her will but that's not sexual assault??  He's not remotely capable of being impartial.  He's an Alt Right nut and apparently, based on his assistant, a White Nationalist pig.  

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

The GOP will just continue to shout down everyone and ram this through. 

I read this morning, that if Kav withdraws, they won't have time to get another SCOTUS judge approved before the midterms. Whooboy that would be interesting. 

I think thats the strategy.  They *might* be able to based on having a vetted list ready...its not like they need a new search.  But if they dont have time..and they might not want to even try, the idea might be they want THIS guy, a right wing nut, not a center-leaning conservative that is acceptable to all sides...that doesnt accomplish the goal of shoving the Court to the far right for the next generation.  So, they either ram him through or, its a rallying cry to give Republican voters something to hang their hat on since they have nothing right now.

Thats why the messaging this week is, "democrat conspiracy"  "look what they've done to a fine man".  They are sacrificing the women vote...although not their base as we saw by that interview on CNN with the worse women ever (but committed Trump voters).

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

haha, I mean, this strategy is just the dumbest thing ever.  Not only does no one believe it but it doesnt matter anyway.  basically he's saying you cant sexually assault someone if you're a virgin?  The guy is up for a SCOTUS job and he doesnt understand how sexual assault work?  That should preclude him right there.  He thinks you can waive your ******* in a woman's face, hold a woman down and try to take off her clothes against her will but that's not sexual assault??  He's not remotely capable of being impartial.  He's an Alt Right nut and apparently, based on his assistant, a White Nationalist pig.  

I think thats the strategy.  They *might* be able to based on having a vetted list ready...its not like they need a new search.  But if they dont have time..and they might not want to even try, the idea might be they want THIS guy, a right wing nut, not a center-leaning conservative that is acceptable to all sides...that doesnt accomplish the goal of shoving the Court to the far right for the next generation.  So, they either ram him through or, its a rallying cry to give Republican voters something to hang their hat on since they have nothing right now.

Thats why the messaging this week is, "democrat conspiracy"  "look what they've done to a fine man".  They are sacrificing the women vote...although not their base as we saw by that interview on CNN with the worse women ever (but committed Trump voters).

As a non-gin-drinking, virgin, in high school, who never inhaled - I just wish people would cut Kavanaugh some slack