US Politics

Rich

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Won't matter to the vote at all. At this stage anyone who says they are on the fence are nutters in training.

Most of these races are between sanity and insanity, not about differing political platforms with good and bad points on both sides.

A lot of us from many political stripes just want to get back to debating the sane stuff with complexities to work thru.

Presently we are all looking at each other going what the hell is happening here while the knuckle draggers gas light us everywhere. 

38 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Presently we are all looking at each other going what the hell is happening here while the knuckle draggers gas light us everywhere. 

this is happening right now in Municipal election, victoria.

the crackpots have formed an alliance.

a volunteer for them sent out a forged press release purporting to be from .the Vancouver island health authority, endorsing the crackpot candidates.

so far, only private citizens have done anything. appears government agency responsible for municipal voting integrity, has decided to do nothing. likewise probably police.

https://www.cheknews.ca/viva-victoria-fires-volunteer-accused-of-impersonating-island-health-in-fake-endorsement-email-1099952/

Edited by Mark F

might look for this, if I can stomach it. but we all know the basics already.

book. David Corn, "American Psychosis"

"David Corn’s AMERICAN PSYCHOSIS is essential reading for anyone hoping to restore political sanity in America. He argues convincingly that the toxic brew of bigotry, conspiracy theories, and lies that define Trumpism started long before Trump. Corn chronicles the Republican Party’s decades-long slide into the gutter and weaves this investigative history into a compelling narrative that is equal parts horrifying and entertaining. Corn has managed to make brilliant sense of American senselessness.”―Jane Mayer, author of Dark Money"

I would be interested in a short biography of Roger Stone. essential footsoldier for the Republicans. very strange person.

Edited by Mark F

59 minutes ago, Mark F said:

a volunteer for them sent out a forged press release purporting to be from .the Vancouver island health authority, endorsing the crackpot candidates.

so far, only private citizens have done anything. appears government agency responsible for municipal voting integrity, has decided to do nothing. likewise probably police.

https://www.cheknews.ca/viva-victoria-fires-volunteer-accused-of-impersonating-island-health-in-fake-endorsement-email-1099952/

Not the only one accountable here but once again the legal system failing us. We're all standing around asking what should happen here, saying shouldn't these entities being doing this, doing that with a shrug of our shoulders, frustration reaching new heights on a daily basis.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

11 hours ago, Mark F said:

Former Winnipeger now living in New Zealand. We have a similar problem happening here. It’s local body elections happening right now (mayor, councillors, etc.) and a group of anti-vaxxers, alt-right, “freedom loving”, conspiracy driven idiots have made it their mission to run in the elections with the stated goal of making New Zealand un-governable. They organised convoys and parliament protests after being inspired by what happened in Canada.

Fortunately, we’ve had a couple media outlets who have made it their mission to investigate these candidates and expose them for who they really are. We’ll know soon how it turns out. Unfortunately, I imagine at least a few will sneak in and get elected. 

Florida parents and doctors revolt after student-athletes asked to report 'history of menstrual periods'

In Florida schools, student athletes have to report a variety of health conditions — from allergies to fainting spells — if they sign up to play for the season. And if they are female athletes, according to Palm Beach Post reporter Katherine Kokal, they are “being asked” to report something else as well: their “history of menstrual periods.”

“The information is reported on athletes' annual physical form, which they are required to fill out with a physician and turn in to their school's athletic director,” Kokal explains. “The questions have been put to students across the state for two decades, most often on a written form on paper, but this fall, when some districts took the form to a digital platform kept by a third party, parents and doctors began raising red flags.”
Kokal adds, “Their concerns have been heightened both by a shifting political landscape criminalizing abortions and scrutinizing transgender athletes and the growing threat to medical privacy in a digital age. All of the forms — whether paper or digital — are subject to subpoena.”

https://www.alternet.org/2022/10/florida-history-of-menstrual-periods/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/mastriano-new-brunswick-york-1.6605669

One of the most controversial politicians in the United States is causing a stir far north of the campaign trail: at a Canadian university that once granted him a doctorate.

Students at the University of New Brunswick are pushing their university for details about its role in granting Doug Mastriano the crowning academic achievement on his CV in 2013.

A UNB associate professor listed on Doug Mastriano's doctoral dissertation describes it as atrocious academic work and says he can't understand why the paper includes his name. 

"This dissertation has bothered me for nine years," Jeffrey Brown told CBC News in an interview.

"[Mastriano] was awarded a PhD on very shaky grounds."

The famous alumnus is now running for governor of Pennsylvania in next month's midterm elections on a hard-right platform with potentially major implications, far beyond his state.

Election denialism is what made Mastriano nationally famous.

The state lawmaker tried overturning the 2020 election on behalf of Donald Trump; he was at the Capitol as the riot began there on Jan. 6, 2021 and even helped transport protesters to Washington. 

Now he's the Republican nominee for governor of Pennsylvania. The polls show him trailing. But if he happens to win, he would gain new power over national elections.

Mastriano's campaign used his doctorate in fending off a recent political controversy. When a photo surfaced showing Mastriano wearing a Confederate uniform at a 2014 educational event, an adviser dismissed it as a smear job against a historian, pointing to his academic credentials.

usa-politics-pennsylvania-governor.JPG

Here's hoping PA does the right thing and shows the alt-right where they belong: in the trash.

37 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/mastriano-new-brunswick-york-1.6605669

Here's hoping PA does the right thing and shows the alt-right where they belong: in the trash.

What’s frustrating, maddening, numbing, chilling and frightening about examples like this that are everywhere you look is this is even a discussion about where these things belong ie trash?! Good gracious we humans aren’t as progressive as some of us thought we were.

14 hours ago, bustamente said:

Democrats are going to **** themselves calling Herschel Walker Senator, polls have him virtually tied with Warnock. 

What a great way to illustrate how ****** up the US is right now. No matter how much negative **** comes out about Walker, he's still neck and neck. Party lines are so drawn it doesn't actually matter who or what kind of person they are,  or what they stand for, or whether you can even trust them to tell the truth.

Longtime Democratic political strategist James Carville recently offered a blistering assessment of the Republican Party's candidate pool for the 2022 midterm elections.

In short, Carville described the party's candidates as “very low-quality candidates." On Tuesday, October 4, Carville appeared on MSNBC’s “The 11th Hour" where he shared his opinion. According to Carville, the reason for the seemingly poor candidate selections lies solely in the hands of the party's voters.

“They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I’m not really supposed to say that but it’s obvious fact. And you know, when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people,” Carville said.

I know, I know. A Trump supporting, a knuckle dragging moron, a gas lightening MF'er would look at this and call me the stupid one, the woke libtard, the sheep, the hater of other opinions than his own who hates his country etc etc and we would just point fingers at each other. However, ultimately at the end of that day there is proven sane and insane understandings, proven stupid and not stupid understandings and I believe my chances are pretty good on being right on these said categories I and others most times would fit into.

Herschel Walker continues to cover himself with excrement every day. In the last 48 hours, he claimed he had supervised 6 hospitals (BS), said he did not know the woman he allegedly paid to have an abortion and already has a child by him, stated that only by electing him could the voters be "redeemed" and called his son "a tool of the left". And still the Jesus freak flock to his support and defence. 

28 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Herschel Walker continues to cover himself with excrement every day. In the last 48 hours, he claimed he had supervised 6 hospitals (BS), said he did not know the woman he allegedly paid to have an abortion and already has a child by him, stated that only by electing him could the voters be "redeemed" and called his son "a tool of the left". And still the Jesus freak flock to his support and defence. 

If I’m Warnock, who knows he has his own quirks but pale in comparison to HW, must be thinking if I can’t beat this guy we are all f’d.

3 hours ago, itchy said:

What a great way to illustrate how ****** up the US is right now. No matter how much negative **** comes out about Walker, he's still neck and neck. Party lines are so drawn it doesn't actually matter who or what kind of person they are,  or what they stand for, or whether you can even trust them to tell the truth.

It was a mistake to wait so long to air out his laundry. You can't crush these crazies when they have a decent following because it gives them the appearance of someone or "they" are trying to sabotage their campaign...."these stories aren't real" etc etc..."bitter enemies trying to knock me down"...People need to air out laundry immediately these days.

This just keeps getting better and better....

'I was talking about something totally different': Herschel Walker denies abortion payment denial

Georgia's embattled Republican United States Senate candidate Herschel Walker was confronted by reporters on Thursday over Wednesday night's revelations by The Daily Beast that the woman who obtained an abortion in 2009 at Walker's expense reportedly also had a child with the former professional football star.

Walker has denied knowing the anonymous individual as well as anything about her pregnancy. But on Thursday, Walker stumbled over his side of the story when he was pressed on the matter.
"I said no and that's what I mean when I said no. I said that's not correct, that's a lie. And that's what I mean, that's a lie," Walker declared as he searched for a friendly face in the gaggle.

Walker tried to refute his own instance that "there was nothing to be ashamed of," despite his right-wing-backed campaign being defined by his supposed anti-choice stance:  "I never said – no, what I said, I was talking about something totally different than if it did happen. I said, well now with my ex-wife and my past, nothing to do with what this woman said. I said this hear abortion thing is false. It's a lie. And that's what I said. I said anything happened with my ex-wife or what [son] Christian was talking about, I don't know."

Walker attempted to muddy the waters: "But as I said, if anything happened, there's nothing to be ashamed of. My ex-wife and I have been the best of friends with her husband and my wife. So that's the thing I've said. And I've said nothing about if it did happen because I said that's a lie".

From "grooming" to "child abduction": Right's accusations against LGBTQ advocates get even worse

Last spring, as the right began using the word "grooming" as a slur against LGBTQ people and their allies, journalist Melissa Gira Grant noted at the New Republic that the word provided a way to "say both the quiet and the loud part." Contorting a term long used to describe real instances of child sex abuse into a weapon to be deployed against LGBTQ people and commonplace policies — for example, that their existence can and should be acknowledged in schools — was the "loud" part. It was a shocking but pithy means of demonization; as Gira Grant wrote, the "right is using the reality of child abuse to raise unfounded fears and panic about criminal and predatory behavior hiding in plain sight." The quiet part was the secondary implication: If one's "enemies" really are "an ill-defined yet pervasive threat to children, what wouldn't be justified in stopping them?" 

This week, that quiet part got noticeably louder, as right-wing activists escalated the already-dangerous rhetoric of "grooming" — language that multiple social media platforms have banned from use as an insult related to LGBTQ issues — and graduated into claims that LGBTQ people and liberals are literally kidnapping and trafficking children. 

https://www.salon.com/2022/10/06/from-grooming-to-child-abduction-rights-accusations-against-lgbtq-advocates-get-even-worse/