US Politics

Rich

2 minutes ago, the watcher said:

It's just becoming a question of how far backwards parts of the US will revert to. Then it becomes a question of how much the other parts will put up with.  And there's your civil war.

looks that way.

oddly, Charles Manson predicted a black v white American civil war.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, the watcher said:

It's just becoming a question of how far backwards parts of the US will revert to. Then it becomes a question of how much the other parts will put up with.  And there's your civil war.

Consider that the majority of States have rolled back federal laws that require wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle,  and ask yourself why anyone would do that.  Is allowing stupidity to flourish, the true cost of having freedom of choice?

Edited by Fatty Liver

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Consider that the majority of States have rolled back federal laws that require wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle,  and ask yourself why anyone would do that.  Is allowing stupidity to flourish, the true cost of having freedom of choice?

The American crazy train is rolling downhill.

got a bit of good news for a change.

"FOR DECADES, Sen. Joe Manchin has presided over West Virginia’s Democratic Party, crowning candidates and throwing cushy appointments to allies while the state’s jobs, wages, and environment have gradually been ground to dust. But earlier this month, a grassroots slate of over 50 Democrats took control of the West Virginia Democratic Party after winning a majority of seats on the executive committee and ousting party leadership, thus ending Manchin’s de facto control of the state party apparatus.

Now, after a six-year organizing push, every old guard party apparatchik — save for the treasurer — is out of office, replaced with activists from across the Democratic spectrum"

https://theintercept.com/2022/06/30/joe-manchin-west-virginia-democratic-party/

worth a read, about how much effort this took.

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

not wasting any  time are they.

"black people were better off when they were slaves" 

There are Americans who think this is true.

also

"Now, far-right Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is indicating that he is open to the possibility of criminalizing gay sex in Texas once again if Lawrence is ever overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Sydney, Australia's 9News reports that when Paxton, during an interview, was asked if he would be willing to take a challenge to Lawrence v. Texas to the U.S. Supreme Court, he indicated that he would. And Paxton also indicated that he would enforce Texas' old sodomy law if Lawrence were overturned."

worth keeping in mind there is Texas, and Koch influence in Alberta, and Canada. Kochs are involved in And promoting deregulation.

In 2012, Alexis Stoymenoff of the Vancouver Observer reported that The Fraser Institute accepted $500,000 from the Koch Brothersover a four year period. She wrote, "According to U.S. tax documents, The Fraser Institute received $150,000 from the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation in 2008, $175,500 in 2009, and another $150,000 in 2010. The grants were purportedly for "research support" and "educational programs." [17] Furthermore, according to Stoymenoff, "Prior to 2008, the Institute received another $25,000 in funding from the Claude R. Lambe Foundation, which is under the umbrella of Koch Family Foundations." 

The Koch brothers contaminating the Fraser Institute is simply putting icing on the cake. The Fraser Institute has been an echo chamber for the most right-wing conservatives in Canada for decades.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Parade forgot to lock the door. Don't blame guns. 

Or unlock the door? I forget. 

Sure that may help but ultimately we need more good guys with guns. That solves all. It’s not that complicated. And for anyone who disagrees please see the video I posted of an individual using a gun to protect someone else to prove my point. Case closed.

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Sure that may help but ultimately we need more good guys with guns. That solves all. It’s not that complicated. And for anyone who disagrees please see the video I posted of an individual using a gun to protect someone else to prove my point. Case closed.

There were lots of "good guys with guns" at Uvalde. It was some time ago, but I recall an FBI statistic that said that for every instance where a gun is used to protect the residents of a home, there were some 40+ incidents where that gun was turned on the residents. The problem in the US is not just guns, but a culture based on zero-sum competition to the death resulting in fear and loathing of each other PLUS guns. My brother who is a cop said that ever trained cops will fire 10-15 shots for every shot that hits a target. Civilians with firearms would be way worse than that.