US Politics

Rich

'Clear and present danger': Majority of Trump voters believe it’s 'time to split the country' in two

The highly-respected University of Virginia's nonpartisan Center for Politics has released a new study that finds a majority of Trump voters believe it's time to split the country into two, with "red states" and "blue states" seceding from the Union.

The organization, headed by Larry Sabato of "Sabato's Crystal Ball," reports that four in ten Biden voters agree.

"The divide between Trump and Biden voters is deep, wide, and dangerous. The scope is unprecedented, and it will not be easily fixed," said UVA Center for Politics Director Larry J. Sabato.

"In order to figure out ways to bridge these divides, we need to understand not just the divides themselves, but also understand the ways in which we can, together, move forward to reach common ground. This project helps us do both," said Larry Schack of Project Home Fire, a new initiative partnering with the UVA Center for Politics.

The report top-line revelations include: "Trump and Biden voters are at crisis stage"; there is tremendous "fear and distrust among Biden and Trump voters"; and "Many Trump and Biden voters believe the deck is stacked against them, and their commitment to democracy is wavering."

Crystal Ball's managing editor, Kyle Kondik, tweeted out some charts (below) from the project. Among the disturbing but unsurprising revelations:

Eight in 10 Biden and Trump voters say elected officials from the opposition party present a "clear and present danger" to democracy. Almost eight in 10 Biden and Trump voters say Americans who support the opposite party have also become a "clear and present danger" to the American way of life.

'Clear and present danger': Majority of Trump voters believe it’s 'time to split the country' in two - Alternet.org

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I would love to see the red states leave... let jesusland become a 3rd world country and see how quickly they beg the blue states to take them back.

Texas seems pretty happy being it’s own entity and is doing OK……until their power grid fails. 

The other major problem for me is that the best winter vacation spots on the States are the red locations (Florida, Texas, Nevada and Arizona in most elections - Hawaii is too far away to be affordable every year) and if they go totally Confederate States I will be afraid to go. 

15 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Texas seems pretty happy being it’s own entity and is doing OK……until their power grid fails. 

The other major problem for me is that the best winter vacation spots on the States are the red locations (Florida, Texas, Nevada and Arizona in most elections - Hawaii is too far away to be affordable every year) and if they go totally Confederate States I will be afraid to go. 

I think it is more complicated.

Austin Texas is liberal for instance. also some of the jurisdictions that have right wing governments, have been rigged to  guarantee that result. and this continues with voting games now being played.

rural california, is right wing. same with for instance rural Michigan, Washington state, Oregon.

atlanta, is majority black. probably not right wing. 

probably like canada its city v country.

Edited by Mark F

16 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

California is good. They have everything florida has. I'd miss Nevada though

It would be fun to have to drive through different countries to get to California tho. I'd miss Nevada most. Florida is weird to me, a weird heat, a weird place with weird old ppl and stupid young ones 

It will be fun to watch the American Civil War Part 2

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

It would be fun to have to drive through different countries to get to California tho. I'd miss Nevada most. Florida is weird to me, a weird heat, a weird place with weird old ppl and stupid young ones 

It will be fun to watch the American Civil War Part 2

I'm assuming that last sentence was said with a heavy amount of sarcasm.

'My jaw dropped': Lawyer who investigated Trump University stunned by this detail in Weisselberg indictment

The New Yorker this week highlighted a little-noticed detail in the indictment of longtime Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg that some legal experts say is a sign of potential trouble for former President Donald Trump.

According to prosecutors, Weisselberg is being accused of making changes to a document that's described as "Donald J. Trump's Detail General Ledger" to cover up details of how much compensation he was awarded as Trump Organization CFO that were not properly reported to the IRS.

The fact that Weisselberg seemingly kept a separate ledger that was for Trump's eyes only, writes the New Yorker, might make it much harder for him to deny that he was aware of Weisselberg's allegedly fraudulent activities.

"My jaw literally dropped when I saw that," Tristan Snell, a former New York assistant attorney general who investigated fraud committed by Trump University, tells the New Yorker. "If there was a ledger for him, it blows up the notion that Trump didn't know about it -- it means there was a set of numbers prepared for Donald Trump."

Snell also says that prosecutors are trying to send Trump a message by including that detail in the indictment that "we have your ledger."

'My jaw dropped': Lawyer who investigated Trump University stunned by this detail in Weisselberg indictment - Alternet.org

Former Florida Congressional Candidate Organized Capitol Riot Transport: DOJ

A former Florida congressional candidate was arrested this week and booked on charges of entering Capitol grounds and attempting to disrupt government business during the Jan. 6 riot. Federal prosecutors allege that Jeremy Brown also helped organize the transport of his fellow rioters to Washington, calling his RV “ground force one” and allegedly telling others he could ferry them to the nation’s capital. He is also accused of carrying surgical shears and zip ties to the grounds of the Capitol on Jan. 6 while decked out in tactical military gear and Oath Keepers regalia. Brown filed paperwork for his congressional candidacy in Florida’s 14th congressional district as a Republican but ultimately failed to appear on the ballot, according to local station WTSP. According to the FBI, Brown drove to Washington from Florida, writing in a group chat, “We have a RV an [sic] Van going. Plenty of Gun Ports left to fill. We can pick you up.” He spoke of “PCIs (pre combat inspections)” in the message thread as well, prosecutors said.

Former Florida Congressional Candidate Organized Capitol Riot Transport: DOJ (thedailybeast.com)

Police, Service Members Bragged About Credentials To Join Oath Keepers: Reports

Records hacked from the Oath Keepers show that interest in joining the violent, far-right extremist group surged following the deadly U.S. Capitol riot on Jan. 6 ― including among law enforcement and the military, according to BuzzFeed News and The Guardian.

Some of the membership records were made available to journalists this week by the group Distributed Denial of Secrets, a nonprofit that makes hacked data available to the press and to researchers.

“I was wondering what was required to become an oath keeper,” wrote one person who said he was an active-duty soldier at Fort Hood, Texas, according to BuzzFeed News. The email, dated Jan. 19, noted that the author was “not liking what the world is coming to” and had “a growing concern for our nation.”

Oath Keepers were among the supporters of former President Donald Trump who stormed the Capitol building in January, leaving several people dead. More than a dozen have been arrested and charged in connection with the violence.

BuzzFeed News’ analysis of email addresses found in the data indicated that as many as 500 people who sought Oath Keeper membership over the past decade may be currently or formerly “employed by the military, state or local police, sheriff’s departments, or federal law enforcement.” The outlet noted that many did not appear to be active members of the group.

Despite a clear conflict of interest between law enforcement work and the anti-government Oath Keepers, some would-be members bragged about their credentials in their messages.

“I have a wide variety of law enforcement experience, including undercover operations, surveillance and SWAT,” one person wrote on a membership application, according to USA Today, although it is not clear when the message was sent. Another person reportedly declared that they were “currently working as a deputy sheriff in Texas” in their message to the group.

Intel expert warns domestic extremism is only getting worse: 'Every failed coup is just practice'

Right-wing media outlets like Fox News, Newsmax and Breitbart News have a long history of downplaying the terrorist threat posed by far-right White nationalists, white supremacists and militia groups — even after the January 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol Building. But media outlets like MSNBC have been giving the threat the attention that it merits, and when MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace recently featured Kristofer Goldsmith — CEO of the intelligence firm Spaverius — on her show, he warned that the problem is showing no signs of letting up.

Goldsmith told Wallace, a Never Trump conservative who served in the Bush Administration, "Every failed coup is just practice. What's, I think, most disturbing, to people now is that it's become out in the public."

The Oath Keepers, an extremist militia group, were among the insurrectionists who attacked the U.S. Capitol Building on January 6. And Goldsmith discussed their recruiting efforts during his MSNBC appearance.

Goldsmith warned, "The Oath Keepers are an organization that's primarily vying for not just military service members, veterans, but also, police. These are people who have a warped sense of patriotism, who believe that fighting against the government, against their fellow Americans is somehow patriotic…. What's disappointing to me is to see people using.gov and .mil e-mail addresses to sign up to be one of these members of an unlawful militia."

The Spaverius CEO went on to call out Fox News for downplaying the violence that occurred on January 6.

"Over on Fox News," Goldsmith told Wallace, "January 6 is no big deal. And that is the most popular channel on all military bases all over the world right now, because they use Nielsen ratings. They say, 'Oh well, Fox News is popular. So, we have to show it to the troops.'"

Intel expert warns domestic extremism is only getting worse: 'Every failed coup is just practice' - Alternet.org

Far-right commentator who contracted COVID threatens Dr. Fauci: 'Give me liberty or I give you death'

Far right extremist commentator Josh Bernstein, an anti-vaxxer who recently contracted COVID after threatening a "lead injection" for anyone who tried to vaccinate him, appears to have issued an obscenity-laden death threat against Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and the Chief Medical Advisor to the President.

"Let me tell you something you sick twisted garden gnome," Bernstein says in the video below which was posted by the watchdog group by Right Wing Watch.

"Okay? Our rights don't come from you. They don't come from the NIH, they don't come from the Center for disinformation control, they don't come from the Wuhan Health Organization, and they certainly don't come from this fraudulent extremist authoritarian regime government, either," Bernstein declared, referring to the National Institutes of Health, and apparently the CDC , the World Health Organization, and the Biden administration.

"They come from God. That's where they come from, and not you, or any government, or any intel person or agency is going to do anything about it," he warned.

"You know, I've always said Patrick Henry had it half right: 'Give me liberty or give me death.' Bullshit. Give me liberty or I give you death. That's right. Signed, sealed and ******* delivered. So all I got to say about that. Tread lightly."

Far-right commentator who contracted COVID threatens Dr. Fauci: 'Give me liberty or give you death' - Alternet.org

FBI raids Long Island home of NYPD sergeants’ union head Ed Mullins and Manhattan headquarters

Federal investigators descended Tuesday on the Long Island home of controversial Sergeants Benevolent Association president Ed Mullins in a sweep that also targeted the NYPD union’s Lower Manhattan headquarters.

A parade of FBI agents, clutching boxes and a black garbage bag, emerged from the SBA offices and loaded their cargo into a waiting minivan before heading off. One of the boxes appeared to hold a hard drive, and another was filled with what looked like electronics equipment removed hours after the stunning news of the probe became public.

While the details of the investigation remained under wraps, an FBI spokeswoman confirmed to The News that the agency was “carrying out a law enforcement action in connection with an ongoing investigation” into the SBA shortly after the coordinated seizures began.

“Ed Mullins, who famously called me a ‘first-class *****’ for daring to ask questions about the SBA, just got a first-class raid from the FBI,” tweeted Rep. Ritchie Torres as word of the investigation spread.
A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York declined to comment as to the purpose of the raids or its target.

FBI raids LI home of NYPD union head Ed Mullins and NYC offices - New York Daily News (nydailynews.com)

Edited by Tracker