US Politics

Rich

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yup. Making anything illegal doesn't stop it from happening. In the case of abortions it only puts more lives in danger. There are also cases of women who had miscarriages being arrested in places where abortions are illegal. Because they can look very similar. Outlawing abortions comes with a whole lot of issues that are completely unnecessary in our society today. I'm actually anti abortions, but I'm pro choice. Education is the key, not laws. 

I suggest that whether you are pro or anti abortion is completely irrelevant. It is the choice of the pregnant woman. Period. It is not a moral question or one of how your faith informs you- it is a medical issue. Period. This "right to life" position is a convenient flag to hide behind as pretty much all of those in that position also condemn the "morning after" pill which ensures that any ovum does not become implanted and become an embryo. The telling characteristics of the "right to life" movement is their willingness to engage in violence and murder but are not willing to have their taxes raised to provide financial support for mothers.  Once the baby is born, they lose all interest in the welfare of the mother and child.

59 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I suggest that whether you are pro or anti abortion is completely irrelevant. It is the choice of the pregnant woman. Period. It is not a moral question or one of how your faith informs you- it is a medical issue. Period. This "right to life" position is a convenient flag to hide behind as pretty much all of those in that position also condemn the "morning after" pill which ensures that any ovum does not become implanted and become an embryo. The telling characteristics of the "right to life" movement is their willingness to engage in violence and murder but are not willing to have their taxes raised to provide financial support for mothers.  Once the baby is born, they lose all interest in the welfare of the mother and child.

Yup. Pro birth not pro life.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yup. Making anything illegal doesn't stop it from happening. In the case of abortions it only puts more lives in danger. There are also cases of women who had miscarriages being arrested in places where abortions are illegal. Because they can look very similar. Outlawing abortions comes with a whole lot of issues that are completely unnecessary in our society today. I'm actually anti abortions, but I'm pro choice. Education is the key, not laws. 

Yes , I  can maybe  argue philosophically  against abortion but it's not my choice. Very very few women take that decision lightly or use it as a birth control method  as claimed by anti abortion groups. Simply ,I can't get pregnant so it's not my decision. What's  going on in Texas is bizarrely draconian. The only  way to go further back is to call them witches and start building fires.

2 hours ago, the watcher said:

Yes , I  can maybe  argue philosophically  against abortion but it's not my choice. Very very few women take that decision lightly or use it as a birth control method  as claimed by anti abortion groups. Simply ,I can't get pregnant so it's not my decision. What's  going on in Texas is bizarrely draconian. The only  way to go further back is to call them witches and start building fires.

The Texas situation is far more alarming and even dangerous than would first appear. The GOP-loaded Supreme Court has refused to hear an appeal of the law, and defacto has approved the beginning of the end of Roe vs Wade. No doubt other states will seize on this precedent to enact similar or even worse legislation. 

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

I find that american left behind weapons graphic difficult  to believe.

I had the same immediate reaction based on what the American military/governement has said, but I also don't know if the former Afghan government ordered their American supplied weaponry destroyed when they surrendered.

17 hours ago, Tracker said:

The Texas situation is far more alarming and even dangerous than would first appear. The GOP-loaded Supreme Court has refused to hear an appeal of the law, and defacto has approved the beginning of the end of Roe vs Wade. No doubt other states will seize on this precedent to enact similar or even worse legislation. 

'Stunning': Justice Sotomayor writes a furious dissent as the Supreme Court lets Texas violate Roe v. Wade
'

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor issued a clearly furious dissent late Wednesday night to the majority's order allowing a Texas law banning abortions after six weeks of pregnancy to stay in force.

"The Court's order is stunning," Sotomayor wrote. "Because the Court's failure to act rewards tactics designed to avoid judicial review and inflicts significant harm on the applicants and on women seeking abortions in Texas, I dissent."

She left out the traditional word "respectfully" before "dissent" — a telltale sign that a justice is livid.

The order came in response to a challenge, brought by abortion providers among others, against a Texas law that had been making its way through the lower courts. It had been set to go into effect on Sept. 1, prompting urgent demands that the Supreme Court intervene to stall its implementation until the court process reaches its natural conclusion. Usually, restrictive abortion laws are paused, in part because the existing judicial precedent is so clear that they are unconstitutional.

'Stunning': Justice Sotomayor writes a furious dissent as the Supreme Court lets Texas violate Roe v. Wade - Alternet.org

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor issued a clearly furious dissent

not really a surprise is it?

look at the republicans on their bench. 

think a hornets nest has been kicked. 

Edited by Mark F

Saw a tweet that put a different spin on the expansion of SCOTUS. Pointed out that the Democrat nominee Garland was held up for 8 months on the premise that it was an election year, to then be replaced by Republican nominee Gorsuch. Then Barrett was rammed through 8 days before the election with 66 million ballots already cast. “THAT is what stacking the court looks like” was the tweet, as to why pushing the number now to 13 would be fair. I actually like the idea that the Dems get 5 appointments, the Republicans 5, and SCOTUS itself gets 5 appointments to keep it balanced and give no group an advantage. 

The problem is that Dems got burned by Harry Reid eliminating the 60 vote rule and employing the nuclear option, only to have McConnell pull the same trick later and be able to justify it on precedent. Republicans have no qualms changing the rules to suit their advantage when it benefits them, because they don’t fear that Democrats will reply in kind when they have the chance. And they are usually right. They have no concern about fair play and optics because their base will blindly follow them regardless of their dirty play. Democrats can’t say the same because their base is softer and more prone to have a conscience about things. Makes sense since Liberals have a foundation of “help the most vulnerable and look out for everyone” as part of their mindset while conservatives are more “pull yourself up by your own bootstraps and don’t be dragged down by the weak who expect handouts” 

Remington Subpoenas Report Cards Of Children Killed At Sandy Hook

Remington Arms subpoenaed the report cards, attendance and employment records for five children and four educators killed in the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School as part of a lawsuit brought by the victims’ families. 

Lawyers for the families filed a motion to seal the information on Thursday, citing a previous order that kept Remington’s proprietary business information from being shared in the course of the proceedings. The filing argues that sharing the records ― which the school district has released to Remington’s lawyers ― amounts to an insensitive invasion of privacy. 

“We have no explanation for why Remington subpoenaed the Newtown Public School District to obtain the kindergarten and first-grade academic, attendance and disciplinary records of these five school children,” the families’ lead attorney, Josh Koskoff, said in a statement to HuffPost.

Remington Subpoenas Report Cards Of Children Killed At Sandy Hook | HuffPost

Why Satanists may be the last, best hope to save abortion rights in Texas.  The "nontheistic" organization joins the fray with a last-ditch legal maneuver to save abortion rights in Texas

As pro-choice and reproductive health groups are scrambling to make sense of Texas' new, near-total abortion ban that went into effect this week, it appears their efforts to skirt the law are getting an unexpected boost from one organization in particular: The Satanic Temple.

The Supreme Court on Wednesday night allowed the state to implement a ban on the procedures after six weeks, before most women know they are pregnant, with no carve-outs for rape or incest. Until it is blocked or overturned, the law effectively nullifies the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision — which established abortion as a constitutional right — in Texas.

Enter The Satanic Temple.

The "nontheistic" organization, which is headquartered in Salem, Massachusetts, joined the legal fray this week by sending a letter to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration demanding access to abortion pills for its members. The group has established an "abortion ritual," and is attempting to use the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (which was created to allow Native Americans access to peyote for religious rituals) to argue that its members should be allowed access to abortion drugs like Misoprostol and Mifepristone for religious purposes.

"I am sure Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton—who famously spends a good deal of his time composing press releases about Religious Liberty issues in other states—will be proud to see that Texas's robust Religious Liberty laws, which he so vociferously champions, will prevent future Abortion Rituals from being interrupted by superfluous government restrictions meant only to shame and harass those seeking an abortion," Satanic Temple spokesperson Lucien Greaves told the San Antonio Current. 

"The battle for abortion rights is largely a battle of competing religious viewpoints, and our viewpoint that the nonviable fetus is part of the impregnated host is fortunately protected under Religious Liberty laws," he added. 

Why Satanists may be the last, best hope to save abortion rights in Texas | Salon.com

(Can we say "irony") ?