US Politics

Rich

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Day after day mass shootings, government under fire, who is their right mind would want to live in the United States atm.

what about even going there for a holiday?

people with guns everywhere, all anxious to use them. 

interesting article by john boehner

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/02/john-boehner-book-memoir-excerpt-478506

Edited by Mark F

Apparently the Trump followers are both depressed and enraged because Trump has not emerged from his Mar-A-Lago tomb after three (or more) days and regained all his former power and glory. They are also feeling that way because of the steady parade of arrests in the Capitol insurrection and no GOP figure has stepped forward with the proof that was promised that would exonerate all the right-wing participants and place the blame on Antifa. I have little doubt that this was the motivating factor in this incident. A futile incident and deaths in a support of a failed movement. 

2 hours ago, do or die said:

Henceforth,  Gaetz shall be referred to as:

Individual # 2

or James Barron, John's younger brother.

just had a look at Breitbart.   seems to have not heard of Matt Gaetz, or his current situation.

Edited by Mark F

On 2021-04-02 at 2:21 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well, well, well, if it isn’t the consequences of my own actions......

https://apnews.com/article/some-capitol-riot-suspects-apologize-3bbabae61323f77b0af3102497c0ede9

If I was the Judge and some kid wrote “lesson received” i’d shoot back with “No, I will decide what lesson you receive”. 

There's " I'm sorry " and there's " I'm sorry I got caught "  I put all of these into the latter.

5 hours ago, the watcher said:

There's " I'm sorry " and there's " I'm sorry I got caught "  I put all of these into the latter.

Yea I’ve recently wondered how many people are out there presently doing really bad things others don’t know about who know it’s wrong, feel bad and want to stop versus others who could care less if it’s wrong, don’t feel sorry at all and hope they never get caught.

On 2021-04-03 at 12:05 AM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Politics I guess... yeah- it goes here:

Oh wow, Pizzagaetz just got real:

Reports out of the States indicate that Gaetz' close friend (Joel Greenberg) is facing 30 charges involving a decade of sexual contacts with minors and is under pressure to flip on Gaetz.  Given the severity of the charges facing Greenberg and the potential consequences and the history of pedophiles being eager to save their own butts, it is almost certain that he will turn on Gaetz.

Trump could face "legal consequences" for bilking supporters of campaign fundraising – analyst

President Donald Trump could face "legal consequences" for fundraising scams that were uncovered by The New York Times.

On Saturday, the newspaper published a damning report titled, "How Trump Steered Supporters Into Unwitting Donations."

"An investigation from The New York Times reveals Trump's cash-grabbing tactics with donors which the former president's spokesman is not denying. The Times reports Trump's campaign made recurring donations the default, then doubled them in an operation nicknamed the 'money bomb,' unbeknownst to many unsuspecting donors," MSNBC's Alicia Menendez reported Saturday. "One retiree said they withdrew seven times from his account."

For analysis, Menendez interviewed Jill Wine-Banks, the former organized crime prosecutor who was an assistant Watergate special prosecutor.

"Millions of dollars obtained through these practices," Menendez noted. "While they may be shady, are these tactics illegal?"

"They may be legal, you have to be really careful," Wine-Banks replied.

"You don't expect a former president of the United States to be using these kind of tactics. This is the kind of thing you expect from, oh, scam artists who sell really low-quality products," she noted.

"In this case, what was happening was people would sign up thinking they were donating one time and there would be a little button they didn't see that said make this monthly, make this weekly, and sometimes it changed from monthly to weekly after they had hit it or had entered the one-time donation amount,"

"I think that that kind of fraud should have political consequences, even if it doesn't have legal. But I think there are legal consequences," she said.

"He is facing so many civil and criminal charges right now that he's going crazy trying to defend himself. He needs full-time law firm, not a full-time lawyer, but he needs a full-time firm to handle all of the cases from the varying -- from Georgia, from the Manhattan D.A., from the New York attorney general, from the District of Columbia, from the policemen who have sued," she explained. "The New York courts ruled the defamation case can proceed, which means, by the way, that there will be under oath depositions, the president is going to have to testify, the former president, he has absolutely no way to evade any longer."

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Buttigieg is one of the brightest lights in the Democratic party and ought to be a contender for the presidency in time.

Maybe, but I am not sure what his position is on a lot of the progressive policies- so, as much as I dig how good of a politician he is, I am willing to wait to see what he stands for.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Reports out of the States indicate that Gaetz' close friend (Joel Greenberg) is facing 30 charges involving a decade of sexual contacts with minors and is under pressure to flip on Gaetz.  Given the severity of the charges facing Greenberg and the potential consequences and the history of pedophiles being eager to save their own butts, it is almost certain that he will turn on Gaetz.

wonder if Trump got involved in something with these two.

we know he liked hookers.

maybe they found him someone  that resembled ivanka!

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Maybe, but I am not sure what his position is on a lot of the progressive policies- so, as much as I dig how good of a politician he is, I am willing to wait to see what he stands for.

probably from the Bill Clinton school of how to do things. centre right is not the way .

https://www.alternet.org/2020/02/pete-buttigieg-is-a-wall-street-democrat-beholden-to-corporate-interests/

but Digby likes him so...

"He’s very good at this and I suspect they’re going to have him out there a LOT to sell this infrastructure bill. Let’s hope so, anyway. Some people just have a gift for that sort of thing and he’s one of them. 

This AP profile today is obviously a beat sweetener but the fact is that Buttigieg has shown himself, so far, to be an effective team player even as his ambition emanates from him in waves. It will be interesting to see him at work."

Edited by Mark F

Houston Texas

"In one of Batteau’s residences, three elderly Houstonians packed into a $300 per-month dimly lit one-room apartment, no bigger than many walk-in closets. One, a 72-year-old woman who uses a wheelchair and identified herself as “Mrs. Sarah,” said she’d been relying on bottled water since the February storm. Unable to walk, she’d been receiving water donations from friends like Flip, an elderly homeless man who lives underneath a nearby bridge and was now visiting her. Both were thirsty. Jackson promised to return with water later that afternoon. "

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/houston-third-ward-running-water/

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the so-called most powerful nation on earth. 

Republicans dupe their low-information voters again — this time on the Capitol siege

Donald Trump's rabid base of GOP voters continue to consumes disinformation at a voracious pace. Not only do six in 10 Republicans believe the election was "stolen" from Trump, according to new Reuters polling, about half either believe the deadly Jan. 6 Capitol attack was largely peaceful or was staged by left-leaning activists "trying to make Trump look bad."

Sure, Trump supporters in para-military gear waving Trump flags and donning an endless amount of Trump paraphernalia literally climbed the walls of the Capitol in an assault that left five dead and injured more than a hundred police officers. But was it really that violent? And hey, it's not like Trump ever promoted violence at his rallies. So it all seem very dubious, no?

Just last week, Trump told Fox News that the Capitol siege posed "zero threat" to U.S. lawmakers working to certify the election results that day. Meanwhile, GOP senators like Ron Johnson of Wisconsin are busy selling the notion that Trump supporters wouldn't hurt a fly but Black Lives Matter protesters are where the real danger lies because, well, the obvious—the Trump supporters are overwhelmingly white. No small bit of racism there.

Obviously, the GOP can just get away with this stuff because Republican voters insist on continuing to be the most gullible group of lemmings known to man. 

Republicans dupe their low-information voters again — this time on the Capitol siege - Alternet.org

Half of Republicans think Jan. 6 siege was peaceful or staged by antifa, new poll finds. Only 3 in 10 Republicans say Donald Trump was "somewhat responsible" for the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol

What percentage of Republicans believe the Jan. Capitol siege was either a peaceful demonstration or led by antifa, nearly three months after the riot? 

A jarring new poll conducted by Reuters and Ipsos, published on Monday, found that "about half of Republicans believe the siege was largely a non-violent protest or was the handiwork of left-wing activists 'trying to make Trump look bad.'"

Although there is considerable evidence to support the fact that proud pro-Trump vigilantes were seen around the Capitol building in large numbers on that dark day in Washington, many Republicans appear to have created an alternative reality, or simply haven't registered the corrections issued by conservative media. A few days following the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, one dubious report from the Washington Times was widely circulated in right-wing circles, claiming that "Antifa members" were identified in the crowd. The Times later retracted that article in its entirety, after Mediaite reported that the outlet made silent changes to the story in the dead of night. The story stoked innumerable false claims in conservative Twitter circles, which widely spread the discredited notion that antifa was behind the Jan. 6 riot. 

As for the new poll, the results are startling, even beyond the headline news that most Republican voters believe the siege was the fault of leftists or was entirely "non-violent."

Half of Republicans think Jan. 6 siege was peaceful or staged by antifa, new poll finds | Salon.com