US Politics

Rich

Oath Keepers’ Best New Hope Is a Lawyer Who Cites ‘Lord of the Rings’

Prosecutors are said to be considering sedition charges against members of the far-right militia. Now an attorney with a bizarre past is raising cash for them.
The Oath Keepers militia has seen better days. Members of the far-right group’s leadership are facing conspiracy charges for their alleged role in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol. Prosecutors are reportedly considering rare sedition charges against those members, and Oath Keepers’ fundraising efforts have stalled after companies like Amazon banned the group from their charity programs.

But they have one great, shining hope: a crowd-funding effort spearheaded by a lawyer who recently tried to dissolve Congress and reinstall Donald Trump using a lawsuit that cited politics from Lord of the Rings, the fantasy trilogy about elves.

Kellye SoRelle is a failed Texas House candidate and member of the group Lawyers for Trump. After Trump’s re-election loss, she joined a lawsuit that sought to keep him in office, in part by likening the ex-president to a king from the Lord of the Rings’ fictional kingdom of Gondor. Now that a judge has dismissed the elf lawsuit, SoRelle is taking up the Oath Keepers’ defense, raising money for them on a “Christian crowdfunding” website.

Oath Keepers’ Best New Hope Is a Lawyer Who Cites ‘Lord of the Rings’ (thedailybeast.com)

Wingnut Matt Walsh says the quiet part out loud

The right to vote isn't a right at all, but rather a privilege that should be reserved only for those "equipped to take part in the process," writes Matt Walsh, a 27-year-old, far-right talk-show host and blogger, at the Daily Wire this week.

Walsh normally would not merit a flicker of attention from normal humans. But in this case, he has provided a valuable service to the non-wingnut world by saying openly what fellow voter suppressors are only thinking. Or perhaps whispering amongst themselves.

"No It Isn't Easier To Buy A Gun Than Vote. But It Should Be," proclaimed the headline above Walsh's Daily Wire blog. Obviously, he relished killing two birds with one stone. Walsh bathed in conservative shock-and-awe. After complaining that guns were more costly to obtain and more restricted than voting rights, he wrote:

"Gun ownership is, after all, a more important and more essential right than voting. Voting is not really a human right at all, but a privilege that ought to be reserved for those who are the most qualified to do it. The ability to defend yourself and your family is fundamental. We all have the God-given right to ensure our own safety and that of our loved ones."

Wingnut Matt Walsh says the quiet part out loud - Alternet.org

Just now, bustamente said:

Does anybody think that they will do anything about gun control, I gave up hope after all those kids were killed and they did nothing, young children couldn't move the needle.so it's the same old playbook shock, horror, sadness thoughts and prayers then finally anger and on to the next one 

Once they shrugged their shoulders at children being murdered, the debate was over. 

They want everything outlawed but their guns. It's a sick, sick culture. 

An American comic recently suggested that politicians ought to wear patches listing the names of their funders, much like NASCAR vehicles are festooned with decals promoting their sponsors. There is a lot to recommend that idea. An NFL coach's motto was "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying". and that is the attitude of most GOPers and more than a few DEMs.  To these, the ego boost of winning is more important than their sworn duties to safeguard and promote the welfare of their country and fellow-citizens. Their house is divided against itself and cannot stand.

Edited by Tracker

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

An American comic recently suggested that politicians ought to wear patches listing the names of their funders, much like NASCAR vehicles are festooned with decals promoting their sponsors. There is a lot to recommend that idea. An NFL coach's motto was "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying". and that is the attitude of most GOPers and more than a few DEMs.  To these, the ego boost of winning is more important than their sworn duties to safeguard and promote the welfare of their country and fellow-citizens. Their house is divided against itself and cannot stand.

Seriously why not? If you have nothing to hide, step up.

It always seems to come back to follow the money. Money, power, influence trumps everything else. Ethics, integrity, transparency be damned. Ugh.

GOP legislators finally responding to latest mass shooting:

South Dakota governor signs bills strengthening state's pro-gun laws
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/544931-south-dakota-gov-signs-multiple-bills-strengthening-states-pro-gun-laws

GOP senator tweets statue of himself holding gun to Biden: 'Come and take it'
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/544942-gop-senator-tweets-statue-holding-gun-to-biden-come-and-take-it

3 hours ago, bustamente said:

Does anybody think that they will do anything about gun control, I gave up hope after all those kids were killed and they did nothing, young children couldn't move the needle.so it's the same old playbook shock, horror, sadness thoughts and prayers then finally anger and on to the next one 

Yeah... after Sandy Hook, and the lack of anyone doing anything... that was game over. They're done. 

1 hour ago, do or die said:

GOP legislators finally responding to latest mass shooting:

South Dakota governor signs bills strengthening state's pro-gun laws
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/544931-south-dakota-gov-signs-multiple-bills-strengthening-states-pro-gun-laws

GOP senator tweets statue of himself holding gun to Biden: 'Come and take it'
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/544942-gop-senator-tweets-statue-holding-gun-to-biden-come-and-take-it

They're so gross and disgusting. 

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

Wingnut Matt Walsh says the quiet part out loud

The right to vote isn't a right at all, but rather a privilege that should be reserved only for those "equipped to take part in the process," writes Matt Walsh, a 27-year-old, far-right talk-show host and blogger, at the Daily Wire this week.

Walsh normally would not merit a flicker of attention from normal humans. But in this case, he has provided a valuable service to the non-wingnut world by saying openly what fellow voter suppressors are only thinking. Or perhaps whispering amongst themselves.

"No It Isn't Easier To Buy A Gun Than Vote. But It Should Be," proclaimed the headline above Walsh's Daily Wire blog. Obviously, he relished killing two birds with one stone. Walsh bathed in conservative shock-and-awe. After complaining that guns were more costly to obtain and more restricted than voting rights, he wrote:

"Gun ownership is, after all, a more important and more essential right than voting. Voting is not really a human right at all, but a privilege that ought to be reserved for those who are the most qualified to do it. The ability to defend yourself and your family is fundamental. We all have the God-given right to ensure our own safety and that of our loved ones."

Wingnut Matt Walsh says the quiet part out loud - Alternet.org

I'm seeing this more and more: saying the quiet part out loud.

Our actions when we think no one is watching and our unfiltered personal thoughts we usually keep to ourselves tell us who we really are as a person, the good and the bad.

The Trump era combined with ever changing technology has really helped provide an environment for people to feel way more comfortable and supported to act a certain way and to share their unfiltered personal thoughts that otherwise would usually be frowned upon in our life experience.

I think it tells us that we haven't progressed as well as we thought but more of a cycle thing.  Things are suppressed and improved upon a bit until people like Trump and his enablers come along, gain power and influence, technology constantly more sophisticated helping reignite all the things we thought we were leaving behind. 

Rinse repeat.

Historians can trace this way better than I'm trying to do here.

. It appears that the Democrats have woken up to the fact that America is on the brink of being afailed state, and are attemtpting to change that.

https://www.axios.com/biden-historians-meeting-filibuster-0a7d726c-4041-405f-a3ac-c31550c590bc.html

The big picture: Biden's presidency has already been transformative, and he has many more giant plans teed up that could make Biden's New Deal the biggest change to governance in our lifetimes.

Edited by Mark F

Tucker Carlson Agrees With Guest’s Chilling Prediction About Fascism In America

Fox News personality Tucker Carlson on Thursday agreed with a guest’s suggestion that the American right wing will “pick a fascist” to lead “within 10 to 20 years.”

During a discussion centered on the conservative talking point of Democrats’ double standards, Carlson asked talk show host Jesse Kelly if “at some point, some people are just going to say, ‘Why should I follow the rules ― why should I be a good citizen if they don’t have to follow the rules?’”

“I mean things kind of break down at some point, don’t they?” Carlson continued.

“They will break down, they are breaking down, Tucker,” Kelly responded.

“I’ve said this before. And I’m telling you, I worry that I’m right. The right is going to pick a fascist within 10 to 20 years,” Kelly said. “Because they’re not going to be the only ones on the outs.”

“Right. That’s right,” said Carlson.

Tucker Carlson Agrees With Guest’s Chilling Prediction About Fascism In America | HuffPost

salon article about colorado mass murder

"Everything the shooter did right up until he pulled the trigger, including carrying his gun into the supermarket in front of the people he was going to kill, was completely legal. "

and

"And then one day in 1985, I went to a gun show in New Orleans, where I was living at the time, and this is what I saw: table after table covered end to end with military-style assault rifles and machine pistols and AK-47s and chrome .44 magnum handguns and more assault rifles and silencers and kits that would transform a civilian AR-15 rifle from semiautomatic operation into a fully automatic weapon of war. Tables covered with Nazi memorabilia, Luger pistols from the Nazi era, Nazi helmets, gray Nazi uniforms, black Nazi uniforms with SS insignia, Nazi medals like the Iron Cross, swastika flags. Whole tables of Confederate flags, Confederate memorabilia like gray "Kepi" caps with crossed-rifle insignia, Kerr M-1855 revolvers used by the Confederate cavalry, Lefaucheux M-1854 revolvers carried by Confederate officers, gray wool Confederate uniforms — some replicas, some original — Confederate officer's swords, Civil War-era bayonets and "short sword" fighting knives carried by Confederate soldiers. More Nazi flags, more Lugers, more Nazi helmets, more assault rifles, more silencers, more of everything in a gigantic convention center hall that took 20 minutes to traverse "

hard to understand the love of Hitler and Nazi Germany.

Edited by Mark F

6 hours ago, Mark F said:

salon article about colorado mass murder

"Everything the shooter did right up until he pulled the trigger, including carrying his gun into the supermarket in front of the people he was going to kill, was completely legal. "

and

"And then one day in 1985, I went to a gun show in New Orleans, where I was living at the time, and this is what I saw: table after table covered end to end with military-style assault rifles and machine pistols and AK-47s and chrome .44 magnum handguns and more assault rifles and silencers and kits that would transform a civilian AR-15 rifle from semiautomatic operation into a fully automatic weapon of war. Tables covered with Nazi memorabilia, Luger pistols from the Nazi era, Nazi helmets, gray Nazi uniforms, black Nazi uniforms with SS insignia, Nazi medals like the Iron Cross, swastika flags. Whole tables of Confederate flags, Confederate memorabilia like gray "Kepi" caps with crossed-rifle insignia, Kerr M-1855 revolvers used by the Confederate cavalry, Lefaucheux M-1854 revolvers carried by Confederate officers, gray wool Confederate uniforms — some replicas, some original — Confederate officer's swords, Civil War-era bayonets and "short sword" fighting knives carried by Confederate soldiers. More Nazi flags, more Lugers, more Nazi helmets, more assault rifles, more silencers, more of everything in a gigantic convention center hall that took 20 minutes to traverse "

hard to understand the love of Hitler and Nazi Germany.

Fascism has been a factor in American politics for a very long time and it is tied into their racism. It was no accident that Nazis held huge rallies in the US in the 30's, and even had very active "Hitler Youth" organizations. Trump's father was a supporter of the Nazi party, so was Charles Lindbergh, Henry Ford and so forth. The support resulted in an attempted coup against Roosevelt but was only derailed when the general in charge of the US Marine Corps had an attack of conscience and reported it.  Many of America's wealthiest families were involved. I am not sure of the accuracy of this but at one time I read that over a third of all white Americans had German ancestry.

Insurrectionist insists she won't go to jail because she has 'blonde hair, white skin'

Sadly, she might have been right. It doesn't matter how many police officers were injured or killed, how many were attacked with bear spray, fire extinguishers and flag staffs, or how many eyes were gouged, or how much feces were spread on the walls: the rioters were white and privileged.

But the cardinal sin in our justice system that she broke is that you don't say the quiet part out loud.

Realtor and part-time insurrectionist Jenna Ryan stormed the Capitol building on Jan. 6, took a selfie by the smashed window where the insurrectionists entered, and for some reason thinks its a good idea to keep the incendiary rhetoric going on her social media. Most people aren't very supportive of her on Twitter.

One guy told her she was going to jail.

This is how Ryan responded:

@tysonstuart Definitely not going to jail. Sorry I have blonde hair white skin a great job a great future and I'm n… https://t.co/6Zk3Qb57dM
— Jenna Ryan (@Jenna Ryan)1616766192.0

Kemp used 'monument to Georgia’s history of white supremacy' as backdrop to sign voter suppression law: columnist

The Philadelphia Inquirer's columnist Will Bunch went internet sleuthing after a picture of Georgia Republican Governor Brian Kemp surfaced showing the governor surrounded by a group of white lawmakers, presumably all Republicans as well, signing his voter suppression bill into law one hour after it passed the legislature.

In a Twitter thread, Bunch pointed out that readers should take note of the antebellum-style portrait behind Kemp as he signed the suppression law.

1. You've probably seen this picture of Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp and his gaggle of white men signing the state's vot… https://t.co/dK7Fzpqn8h
— Will Bunch Sign Up For My Newsletter (@Will Bunch Sign Up For My Newsletter)1616764160.0
Crediting Twitter crowdsourcing, Bunch relates that the measure to limit Black voting was "signed under the image of a notorious slave plantation in Wilkes County, Georgia."

On the painting, he notes, "you can see that the painting is clearly 'Brickhouse Road — Callaway PLNT' (PLNT for 'Plantation…subtle, right?) by artist Olessia Maximenko from Wilkes County, GA'."

(The GOP has abandoned all pretense of not being racists)

'I will ruin you': Salt Lake Republicans treat women so horribly even Utah's GOP governor is outraged

Salt Lake County Republicans are being called out by women in their ranks in a bombshell new report published by The Salt Lake Tribune.

The story recounts how GOP candidate Laurie Stringham created a short campaign video to post online.

"Hours after the video went out on Sept. 15, Stringham said, she was driving her teenage son to a meet a friend when she got a call from Dave Robinson, the county Republican Party's unofficial communication director. 'You sound like you're having an orgasm!' Stringham said he yelled at her over her car's speakerphone. She said he repeated her 'more, more, more' catchphrase with obscene grunting sounds.

"He tells me if I want to '***** myself out,' that is my choice," Stringham said, recounting him threatening her.

"'I will make sure you never get elected! I will ruin you! And I will make sure the party never works with you! Get your **** together!'" Stringham recalled him saying.

"Then he hung up on me. The call lasted just over two minutes, but scared the hell out of me," she told the newspaper.

'I will ruin you': Salt Lake Republicans treat women so horribly even Utah's GOP governor is outraged - Alternet.org