US Politics

Rich

Baby food allegedly riddled with poisonous metals—and the Trump administration did nothing about it

Anew report reveals that the baby foods sold by a number of major manufacturers may be contaminated with poisonous heavy metals — and President Donald Trump's administration, despite knowing about it, did nothing.

The House Oversight Committee released a report on Thursday based on a congressional investigation into the potential presence of toxic heavy metals — including lead, arsenic, cadmium and mercury — in baby foods. Four baby food manufacturers provided Congress with information about the amount of toxic heavy metals in their foods based on their own internal testing, including Beech-Nut Nutrition Company, Gerber, Hain Celestial Group, Inc. and Nurture Inc. Between those four companies, Congress found that the companies allow dangerously high levels of toxic heavy metals in their foods and that the foods sold by the companies frequently exceed even those standards.

"The Food and Drug Administration has set the maximum allowable levels in bottled water at 10 ppb [parts per billion] inorganic arsenic, 5 ppb lead, and 5 ppb cadmium, and the Environmental Protection Agency has capped the allowable level of mercury in drinking water at 2 ppb," the report explains. "The test results of baby foods and their ingredients eclipse those levels: including results up to 91 times the arsenic level, up to 177 times the lead level, up to 69 times the cadmium level, and up to 5 times the mercury level."

Three other major baby food manufacturers — Campbell, Walmart and Sprout Organic Foods — did not cooperate with the congressional investigators, leaving them "greatly concerned" about the possible toxic heavy metal contamination in their foods. Then again, as the chair of the subcommittee which conducted the investigation told Salon, the government has previously not forced these companies to be accountable for what they put in their baby food.

Baby food allegedly riddled with poisonous metals—and the Trump administration did nothing about it | Salon.com

Being cranky a bit,  reading twitter and people assessing how strong the house managers are with their arguments, how strong tho? For once I wish they would be more laser focussed in calling out certain GOP senators while these House Managers. have the attention of the American people. While Hawley has his feet up on the desk not paying attention, while Cruz is on twitter posting stuff on breast milk, while Graham does his usual smarmy facial expressions, call it out and say something like ‘Hey Hawley, Hey Cruz, Hey Graham we boring you over here with this threat to our democracy thing? Why don’t you show some respect to this process, the people who gave their lives and were injured, to the American people and actively pay attention and do your damn job outside your bravado on your twitter feed. I didn’t realize my role here was to also be a parent for some of you to ensure you fulfil the oath you took.’

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

Being cranky a bit,  reading twitter and people assessing how strong the house managers are with their arguments, how strong tho? For once I wish they would be more laser focussed in calling out certain GOP senators while these House Managers. have the attention of the American people. While Hawley has his feet up on the desk not paying attention, while Cruz is on twitter posting stuff on breast milk, while Graham does his usual smarmy facial expressions, call it out and say something like ‘Hey Hawley, Hey Cruz, Hey Graham we boring you over here with this threat to our democracy thing? Why don’t you show some respect to this process, the people who gave their lives and were injured, to the American people and actively pay attention and do your damn job outside your bravado on your twitter feed. I didn’t realize my role here was to also be a parent for some of you to ensure you fulfil the oath you took.’

Those complicit in the crime are on the jury. 

Republican voters do not want democracy...... this is from a poll done in 2017

"Critics of President Trump have repeatedly warned of his potential to undermine American democracy. Among the concerns are his repeated assertions that he would have won the popular vote had 3 to 5 million “illegals” not voted in the 2016 election, a claim echoed by the head of a White House advisory committee on voter fraud.

Claims of large-scale voter fraud are not true, but that has not stopped a substantial number of Republicans from believing them. But how far would Republicans be willing to follow the president to stop what they perceive as rampant fraud? Our recent survey suggests that the answer is quite far: About half of Republicans say they would support postponing the 2020 presidential election until the country can fix this problem."

washington post

critics were correct.and four years of the scumbag and friends is making this much worse.

Edited by Mark F

53 minutes ago, Mark F said:

There is only one thing that is intolerable to Republicans. Being gay. that's it. the only unforgivable quality.

And yet one their most popular female senators is openly lesbian. Moreover, in the past few years, several GOP federal politicians have been caught in soliciting gay sexual encounters, and that doesn't count the fundamentalist "ministers" who were also exposed.

28 minutes ago, Tracker said:

fundamentalist "ministers" who were also exposed.

or sitting in the corner having fun with himself  while the "pool boy " sinks his balls in said minister's wife "corner pocket"

more accurately, since they gave pool boy a hotel, " bank shot, corner pocket"

28 minutes ago, Tracker said:

several GOP federal politicians have been caught in soliciting gay sexual encounter

mr. "wide stance"

😂

gone and forgotten.

but the republican married goof that wore a diaper while having sex with hooker got reelected.

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

And yet one their most popular female senators is openly lesbian. Moreover, in the past few years, several GOP federal politicians have been caught in soliciting gay sexual encounters, and that doesn't count the fundamentalist "ministers" who were also exposed.

There are no openly gay female Republican senators. Are you thinking of Mary Cheney, Liz’s sister?

5 hours ago, bustamente said:

Republicans will set a precedent with acquittal for future Presidents, hate speech, racism and violence directed by the President will not be punishable and anyone against the President of the day is fair game

There will be zero precedent set. If the roles are somehow reversed in the future every Republican senator who votes not guilty now will be the first to line up and say guilty, say that a former President CAN be impeached, that it is constitutional. There is no regard for precedent with them. They proved with their tone in the Clinton impeachment and then their backtracking on Trump 1.0. They proved it by blocking Garland on the basis of “election year” and then fast-tracking Comey-Barrett mid-election voting. The party without power will scream “precedent” and the party with power will say out loud “this is different” and what they mean is “it’s the same except for we have the power to get away with being hypocritical, and that’s the only difference that matters”. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 hours ago, bustamente said:

Republicans will set a precedent with acquittal for future Presidents, hate speech, racism and violence directed by the President will not be punishable and anyone against the President of the day is fair game

Unless that President is a Democrat.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

FYI: Wisconsin shooter charged with two murders and out on bail immediately violated the terms of his parole by going to a bar and associating with known white supremacists. When police checked on his stated address, they were told that he did not live there and never did. The police went to court to have an arrest warrant issued on him for non-compliance, but were told by the presiding judge that the terms of Rittenhouse's release was that he had to provide an address, but not necessarily live there. Police and the victims of Rittenhouse were stunned at this ruling for some reason.

4 hours ago, bustamente said:

No matter how much Trumps's lawyers half assed it they will win and Trump will be acquitted, sending all his supporters into a frenzy when he goes on TV and claims that he is the rightful POTUS, what a mess

They could put a ******* potato on the podium stare at it for 1 hour... and would still ******* acquit cheetolini

All those people say that they are cowards are dead wrong,  these gross shameless husks of perverse meatsacks are shameless and brazen to the point they don't give a **** about optics or laws... because there is no accountability for any of their indiscretions,  no matter how grievous or heinous they are... the USA is truly ******... once trump 2.0 rolls in... that "cherished" democratic republic is gone... the sad thing is... there is 46% of that population that doesn't give a ****.

God I hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Lead 'Stop the Steal' organizer promises to punish enemies and build new society for Trump supporters

Ali Alexander, the lead organizer of the so-called Stop the Steal campaign, has resurfaced after going into hiding following the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. Streaming on Trovo Wednesday night, Alexander claimed that while he has been licking his wounds, he has been plotting to restart rallies in March, abolish the media, and build a separate society for Trump supporters.

As former President Donald Trump faces an impeachment trial this week for inciting an insurrection with his speech at the Stop the Steal rally the morning of Jan. 6, it appears Alexander has yet to face charges for his role. Alexander rebooted the so-called Stop the Steal campaign the day after Election Day, when Trump's lead began to slip as mail-in ballots began to be counted. He pushed voter fraud conspiracy theories, embraced QAnon conspiracy theorists and far-right activists in his campaign, claimed to be doing God's work, and organized three massive rallies in Washington, D.C., that featured the Proud Boys hate group, paramilitary groups like the Oath Keepers, and other extremists.

Following Jan. 6, Alexander was booted off most major social media platforms and, as a result, is now streaming on Trovo, a gaming platform that appears to be growing in popularity among far-right actors kicked off other platforms. On Wednesday night, Alexander lamented the “racist, bigoted, anti-Christian, anti-Southern, anti-Republican, anti-conservative, anti-human smear machine" that he says targeted him, and he promised to create chaos. “We've got to get back in the driver's seat," he added.

“They've done a great number on my life, they've cost me tens of thousands of dollars, they've really destroyed parts of my life, but in a lot of ways, I have no other choice but to announce that I'm building the future, so I'm making strategic investments in tools that fight deplatforming and to create chaos on existing platforms," Alexander claimed.

“America is going to have a choice, and I promise you that, between going onto this dystopian future or fighting in what I'm calling the American sovereignty movement," he said. “And I'm gonna get back, and I'm going to do rallies again starting in March, I'm gonna have indoor gatherings in March, in Michigan, in Arizona, in Georgia, in Texas. I'm going to do a media tour."

Alexander said he had been plotting how to do away with the free press and other “systems that control us": “So I want you guys to know that I've been licking my wounds, but I've been plotting, I've been planning, I've been scheming because we have to do away with this whole system. The free press is not free, and they're not the press, they need to be abolished. The systems that control us have to be abolished."

“I'm going to create a society, and a community, and a culture, and a language for [Trump supporters], and there are tens of millions of us. … Winning can just be 10 million people creating a new megacity," he mused. “Let's build our own city, let's seriously build our own city, let's build a back-up city in South America."

Lead 'Stop the Steal' organizer promises to punish enemies and build new society for Trump supporters - Alternet.org

57 GOP State And Local Officials Were At The Capitol Insurrection

At least 57 state and local Republican officials attended the Jan. 6 rally in Washington that turned into a deadly insurrection, according to an updated HuffPost tally. Almost all of them are resisting calls to resign. 

They traveled from 27 states for the “Stop the Steal” demonstration near the White House. A couple of officials even gave speeches, warming up the crowd for then-President Donald Trump, who took the stage and regurgitated lies about the election results before instructing the “Make America Great Again” mob to march on the U.S. Capitol.

Late last month, after identifying an initial 21 state and local GOP officials at the rally — among them a QAnon conspiracy theorist, a self-described member of a far-right militia and a man who once declared that “the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat” — HuffPost received emails from readers across the country identifying the additional 36 officials in this new tally. 

Some of the reader emails were urgent — “PLEASE, PLEASE REVISE YOUR ARTICLE TO REFLECT THESE INSURGENT SEDITIONISTS PLEASE!” read one — underscoring how communities across the country are still grappling with the fallout from the siege of the U.S. Capitol. Many are hoping that these officials will somehow face consequences for their actions.  

Nearly all 57 are facing calls to resign. Yet only two men, both of whom were arrested for their role in the riot — a member of the West Virginia House of Delegates and a secretary of the California Republican Assembly — have actually stepped down.

Elsewhere, a Virginia state senator was censured and stripped of committee assignments. Two other censure attempts — of a city councilwoman and a school board member in California — were voted down. In Texas, a Pizzagate-conspiracy-theory-believing field organizer was fired. 

In most cases, the GOP officials have brushed aside calls to resign. “For a call to go out seeking my resignation is beyond the pale and reeks of cancel culture,” said Rob Socha, a city councilman in Hillsdale, Michigan. (Incidentally, at least four of the 57 GOP officials invoked “cancel culture” or being “canceled” while dismissing calls that they step down.) 

57 GOP State And Local Officials Were At The Capitol Insurrection | HuffPost Canada (huffingtonpost.ca)