US Politics

Rich

4 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

This thread sums up how batshit crazy this story is.

It is insane the mental gymnastics these people out themselves through to validate this ****... it's insane.

Blind guy was able to see his way to Uncle Rudy, though....

Chinese Billionaire’s Network Hyped Hunter Biden Dirt Weeks Before Rudy Giuliani

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chinese-billionaires-network-hyped-hunter-biden-dirt-weeks-before-rudy

19 hours ago, do or die said:

Trump says only Jesus Christ more famous than him
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/521266-trump-says-only-jesus-christ-more-famous-than-him

Won't bother to editorialize this one....

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

People who dismiss the mainstream media are not aware that the actual mainstream media follows codes of journalistic standards and ethics.  These standards should be available to view if you are willing to look for them.  Keep in mind that people like Ezra Levant have actually used the "I'm not a journalist" as a defense in libel cases.  Having taken journalism in college the first rule is that if you don't have multiple sources for your story, it will not run.

Distrust in media totally ignores that freedom of the press and that the press in all it's legitimate forms is meant to hold those in power accountable.

So the article about Trump and Christ is a really perfect example of why distrust exists and how each side can spin it to fit their preferred narrative, and dovetails nicely with Wideleft’s  comments here. 
The headline of the article is patently false at its most basic level. Trump never said that. He tells the tale that “someone” (I hate to use absolutes as exaggeration, but it really does feel like he always drops that anonymous “people say” or “someone has told me” as his go-to source for speculative and often questionable information) said he was the most famous, he denies it and when asked to name one person who is, he says Jesus. So he is not at all saying “only Jesus is” more famous, but that Jesus is one example of a person who is more famous. And since he was only asked to name one person, it leaves open the question as to whether there are more than one or not, so the headline “spins” it in the way they want to frame the story - that Trump is an egomaniac. Which sadly they can do just as easily without the misleading or patently false headline. But it’s click bait, so their real underlying mission is accomplished. 
Trump backers thus get fuel for their “fake news” mantra, which does real harm to the system when an important story does come up. Trump bashers revel in another example of his hubris as a sign of his unfitness. And since it is Trump himself relaying the story, it would have been easy to point out that he is again talking about himself through the shadowy spectre of a third person to point out how famous he is perceived to be, and throws in a humble-brag when true self-deprivation would have been to follow up with “and that one person is not an exhaustive list by any means”. So read critically, folks. And even more importantly, think critically. Maybe the discussion should be “You know, Trump legitimately does have a case for being the most famous person in the world right now. So what? When did fame become the measure of a person’s worth?” The answer to that would say a lot about him, but even more about us. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nice attempt at deflection. However, the point that was being made isn’t that other news agencies aren’t mistake-prone (of course they all are to varying degrees), the point is that your source is. And your (IMO defensive) response acknowledges that your source is questionable. So be it. 
My question for you though is, since you  have avoided the mainstream media as you yourself put it “I don’t want to continue to be misinformed” then why do you castigate them and yet give your guy a pass for his misinformed takes? Is it more-so that he fits your worldview and validates your opinions, so you see him as more credible? 

This is the problem with people these days. There is so much information out there, you can always dig until you find something that says what you want it to say. And lots of people think that means they're more informed because they have looked so hard to find it. 

But here is the thing with mainstream media... Any credible news source is going to fact check and check sources and they won't go out there with anything that isn't reliable. There is journalistic integrity still (as much as it's been eroded). What the right hates is that reality is not as right wing as they want it to be so they pretend that it's just biased for the left. 

59 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This is the problem with people these days. There is so much information out there, you can always dig until you find something that says what you want it to say. And lots of people think that means they're more informed because they have looked so hard to find it. 

But here is the thing with mainstream media... Any credible news source is going to fact check and check sources and they won't go out there with anything that isn't reliable. There is journalistic integrity still (as much as it's been eroded). What the right hates is that reality is not as right wing as they want it to be so they pretend that it's just biased for the left. 

A good rule of thumb for your particular source of information is have you ever seen them publicly correct or retract a story.  If you have not, you can probably surmise that they are not in the journalism business, but rather the propaganda business.

Owning the libs.

I admit I'm voting for Trump (although I lie when the pollers call), but I also recognize that regardless of who wins it means relatively little for me and my life. I see these people suffering from TDS acting like the world will end if 45 is re-elected. Are these the same people who threatened to leave the country last time? I don't get how they can have been so whipped up into a fear four years ago, see how the world hasn't ended, and still push that same rhetoric now....

Anyway it's going to be a let down if he loses (I really don't think he will though), but not because eof politics or anything but because I will miss out on the public freak outs and the insufferable whining that will inevitably ensue....

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

General rule of thumb is that big turnouts for elections mean voters are unhappy and want change. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

And also larger advance voting means larger voter turnout overall. 

I'll be very curious to see the research into this election, as it rolls out over the next few years. 

• Was there in fact a higher turnout? (That will be easy to determine)
  • What motivated people to vote early? Why did they wait until election day? 
  • What motivated people to vote by mail? 

And, of course, all the investigations into the shenanigans during voting and after, which will inevitably come. 

19 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

And also larger advance voting means larger voter turnout overall. 

Who were you quoting in this post?

Random Comment  from the reddit sub “owning the libs”, which has many examples of people making fools of themselves for the sole purpose of owning the libs. 

Edited by Mark F

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Random Comment  from the reddit sub “owning the libs”, which has many examples of people making fools of themselves for the sole purpose of owning the libs. 

As soon as they open their mouths, they're making fools of themselves, I find.