US Politics

Rich

Trump Uses Racist Terms 'Kung Flu' And 'Chinese Virus' To Describe COVID-19
White House counselor and Trump ally Kellyanne Conway was furious earlier this year when she heard reports of an administration official saying "kung flu."

President Donald Trump on Saturday used racist terms to describe coronavirus — including “kung flu,” a phrase White House counselor and Trump ally Kellyanne Conway has specifically called out for being “highly offensive.”

“China sent us the plague,” Trump said at a campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma. 

“COVID-19 — that name gets further and further away from China, as opposed to calling it the Chinese virus,” Trump added. “It has more names than any disease in history. I can name ‘kung flu.’”

The crowd laughed. 

I will fully admit that there is a healthy dose of schadenfreude in me right now, and it is not a good trait to have. And Trump does get jumped on for a lot of things that others would get a pass on. But then I see that he has really dug his own grave here. Constantly boasting, lying, manipulating, he is the true boy who cried wolf, so no one will believe anything he says which may be true at this point if they don’t like him. He picked a fight with the media the day he first screamed “fake news” in his press briefing, and you never win in a pissing contest with them. They will always get the last word, and have a bigger platform from which to chirp. And Trump has lived his Presidency like it was one big reality show, and he has made himself the star. Except this is real life, with real consequences and real victims, of Coronavirus, of systemic racism, of police brutality, of xenophobic immigration policies that lead to kids in cages, the list goes on. So his role in this reality show then becomes that of the villain, and everyone wants the villain to get his comeuppance. He wants the glory, he should expect to take the lumps, especially when that magic brand of ignorance and arrogance collide in a spectacular failure of his own making. Given how miserable this year has been, seeing the architect of a lot of that misery fall hard and see some of that misery come back at him made today one of the more enjoyable ones I have had in a while. Makes me wonder how good election night could feel if things go the way I hope they do.