US Politics

Rich

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Agreed- what are you using as sources?

Which pools are you referring to?

Buz feed isn't reporting CNN and Des Moines paper (pro Warren) spiked new poll ahead of vote ?

Tempted to make popcorn when progressives crib ideas from Marxists then conspire to screw the Marxist over but BS is BS and should be called out.

So with the impeachment trial winding down, I had pondered what the Democrats could do to still keep it relevant. Let's face it, the Liberal SNC Lavelin scandal proved that the public has short memories when it comes to scandal and "we'll remember this at election time". So with the acquittal coming without question, I had considered if the Dems had another option to hold Trump to some kind of account, and questioned if an amendment to censure but not remove might be floated. And lo and behold CNN just did a piece on it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/03/opinions/censure-trump-dent-lockhart/index.html

So would the Dems swallow a bit of pride and offer this concession? Would it be better for them politically to have a chastened President in power over the summer and eliminate the "total exoneration, perfect call" tagline, or would it hurt them to back off and give the GOP and out? Would it do anything to rein in the seemingly Teflon Trump anyway, who will convince himself he has been vindicated (remember the Ukraine call came the NEXT DAY after Mueller testified and decided Trump couldn't be prosecuted)? Would the Republicans take this out? Given that Sens. Alexander and Murkowski conceded that the call was wrong and the evidence proven, but not impeachable conduct, and Rubio went even further saying that even if an impeachable standard has been met, removing the President from office is too great a cost, some have painted themselves into a corner and would be more hard pressed to justify acquitting if what they feared - impeachment and removal - were off the table, and they have already admitted he did do it. Or would they suffer more wrath for going against Trump at all (the "head on a pike" alleged threat)?

Thoughts?

Well sure censure him... then keep investigating all the **** that guy has. He's got heaps of it. 

Realistically people are in one camp or the other on trump. Either they are all in on whatever he says or they have a working brain and known that he's gotta go. 

I would be in favour of anything that makes republican senators actually have to put a voting record beside their name. Moscow Mitch has shielded too many for too long.

33 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If the greatest thing happened and the Dems kept the House, won the WH and won the Senate you better believe Trump and everyone associated with him would be in deep deep trouble.  

really they don’t even need the senate.  A dem White House will unhinder the DOJ....

But honestly, if the Dems took control of everything, would the public really be that bloodthirsty that they'd want a true revenge investigation on people who had already been voted out? Trump has enough criminal investigation pending from SDNY to face after he leaves office that I don't think the sitting government would try to expose all his wrongdoings while president. THAT would look like cheap political point scoring (which I would personally enjoy but would not accomplish anything).

42 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

But honestly, if the Dems took control of everything, would the public really be that bloodthirsty that they'd want a true revenge investigation on people who had already been voted out? Trump has enough criminal investigation pending from SDNY to face after he leaves office that I don't think the sitting government would try to expose all his wrongdoings while president. THAT would look like cheap political point scoring (which I would personally enjoy but would not accomplish anything).

I would suspect that they would just unshackle the DOJ and let it do what it's supposed to do. 

53 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I don’t think it’s revenge or scoring points.  I think it’s justice.  And I think the criminal activity that has occurred and continues to occur will drip out for years to come.  The trump era will be taught in history booker 100 years from now and not for anything good. 

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

And we ask ourselves in the year 2020 how anyone can still be named "Hogan Gidley".  It's not like he's 130 years old, or anything.

Sadly, he decided to go with Hogan, as his first name is John and his middle name is Hogan.

"Hogan Gidley"- sounds like a character foil for the main protagonist in a Mark Twain novel.

America... greatest country in the world!!!

but still working on being able to count a few votes, and run an honest, simple, local election.

snark....they're better at interfering in other nations' elections. that's their area of expertise.

what a stupid country.

They should try this

In ancient Greece, citizens used pieces of broken pottery to scratch in the name of the candidate

morons.

Edited by Mark F

Some insight into current Republican values......from the guy that was looked upon as a key swing vote in the Senate.

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) — who in a statement last week called President Trump's conduct “inappropriate" — has shown no inclination to also endorse a resolution formally censuring Trump.
He was one of four Senate Republicans who last week deliberated voting for subpoenas of additional witnesses and documents; however, he eventually voted with 50 other colleagues against extending the impeachment trial.

The Tennessee senator last week called Trump’s order to freeze military aid to Ukraine in an attempt to spur an investigation of former Vice President Joe Biden “inappropriate.” 

“It was inappropriate for the president to ask a foreign leader to investigate his political opponent and to withhold United States aid to encourage that investigation,"  "When elected officials inappropriately interfere with such investigations, it undermines the principle of equal justice under the law."

Alexander said that the House impeachment managers had provided a

“mountain of evidence”

to prove their claim that Trump held the assistance to pressure Ukrainian officials to announce an investigation.

"That what happened here might encourage him to seek further interference?”

Alexander replied:

“I don’t think so, I hope not,”  “Enduring an impeachment is something that nobody should like. Even the president said he didn’t want that on his resume, I don’t blame him.”

“If a call like this gets you an impeachment, I would think he would think twice before he did it again”

So lets see if we can somehow, understand this clearly. 

Alexander is saying that Trump did it, it was wrong, the House Democrats proved it......but he still voted against witnesses and will vote for acquittal.  He also thinks that Trump is somehow now chastised and wouldn't dare commit some kind of illegal or inappropriate act in future.

😄😣😵🤨☹️

Edited by do or die