US Politics

Rich

21 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

My question is who have they become the puppet of? Is it Russia? China? Multinationals? All of the above?

Everything that has happened has benefited Russia. And, we know they interfered on Trump's behalf and request in the 2016 election. Everything is meant to tear down the West. 

EDIT: I'm not sure how a destabilized West helps China at this point. They're already dominating politically and economically. They've slowly built their empire and influence. There might be some short-term gains to achieve but don't want Russia getting too powerful as historically, they are too unpredictable. 

Edited by JCon

2 hours ago, JCon said:

The US is a Banana Republic. 

You would think, as a country, they would be smarter but that's obviously not the case. Morons support this man. 

Its really quite shocking what Republican congress is willing to let Trump get away with.  Word is privately they mostly hate him.  But they are totally abdicating their oath and responsibility and allowing Trump to make the President far more powerful than ever before (and ever intended).

It makes no sense.  Most of these guys are wealthy but they put winning ahead of everything.  I get their motivations....breaking with Trump wont help them win over Democrat voters but will cost them the Trump base.  They're relying on that minority of white nationalist voters. They might lose anyway but they lose for sure if they thumb their nose at Trump.  So they prop him up and sell their souls (and the future of Congress and the US).

If critical mass reaches a certain point, it might all change though.  Plus, with Pence getting roped into this, the only thing worse for GOP Senate than Trump being removed is Trump & Pence being removed and elevating President Pelosi.  Trump throwing Pence under the bus is a bad move because it provides leverage.  If it gets bad enough Republicans can make a deal with Democrats - remove trump but leave Pence alone and confirm a new VP that is agreeable to both sides.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its really quite shocking what Republican congress is willing to let Trump get away with.  Word is privately they mostly hate him.  But they are totally abdicating their oath and responsibility and allowing Trump to make the President far more powerful than ever before (and ever intended).

It makes no sense.  Most of these guys are wealthy but they put winning ahead of everything.  I get their motivations....breaking with Trump wont help them win over Democrat voters but will cost them the Trump base.  They're relying on that minority of white nationalist voters. They might lose anyway but they lose for sure if they thumb their nose at Trump.  So they prop him up and sell their souls (and the future of Congress and the US).

If critical mass reaches a certain point, it might all change though.  Plus, with Pence getting roped into this, the only thing worse for GOP Senate than Trump being removed is Trump & Pence being removed and elevating President Pelosi.  Trump throwing Pence under the bus is a bad move because it provides leverage.  If it gets bad enough Republicans can make a deal with Democrats - remove trump but leave Pence alone and confirm a new VP that is agreeable to both sides.

They see the political wins they have achieved and seem willing to let Trump do terrible things as long as they get all their court appointments and their anit-environmental agenda through. It's all about the money and rich people don't suffer. This is the Koch brothers' wet dream. 

Pence is just a tool. I can't imagine a scenario where the Dems will allow him to be VP. He would be the presumptive GOP nominee if Trump is removed and the Dems wouldn't want him looking presidential before the election. They'll tie him to the Trump anchor and hope he goes down. I think the Dems are fine to fight an election against Trump. I'm not sure it's the best strategy, knowing that at least one foreign government interfered with the last election at the request of Trump but it's likely theirs. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

They see the political wins they have achieved and seem willing to let Trump do terrible things as long as they get all their court appointments and their anit-environmental agenda through. It's all about the money and rich people don't suffer. This is the Koch brothers' wet dream. 

Pence is just a tool. I can't imagine a scenario where the Dems will allow him to be VP. He would be the presumptive GOP nominee if Trump is removed and the Dems wouldn't want him looking presidential before the election. They'll tie him to the Trump anchor and hope he goes down. I think the Dems are fine to fight an election against Trump. I'm not sure it's the best strategy, knowing that at least one foreign government interfered with the last election at the request of Trump but it's likely theirs. 

The problem is, right now Senate is not going to remove Trump.  *Maybe* that changes with more evidence and public opinion turning.  (In fact, Trump's strategy to withhold evidence demanding a full impeachment vote now is to ram it through to the Senate knowing they want to get it over with and will acquit him).  But if they impeach Pence as well, there is no way under any circumstances that the Senate is elevating Pelosi to the White House.

I dont think if there was video of Trump and Pence gang raping someone, would they remove them both.  No matter what.  So the Dems might have to let Pence stand as an option for GOP Senators to remove Trump cause arguably Pence is even more alt right then Trump and far less of an idiot.  

Dems get Trump removed, let Pence be elevated.  The new VP would surely be mostly agreeable to both sides because, with an election looming, GOP Senators wont want a contentious confirmation process.  It would be interesting who Pence would choose so close to an election, presumably whomever he'd want as his running mate.  I wonder if he could wait to nominate a VP and take his chances (chances being, if anything happened to him, Pelosi becomes Pres.)  Then with a disgraced Trump and an implicated Pence running, the Dem nominee wins the White House and Pence can take his chances with a criminal investigation (as Trump will also).

Man...would Pence gamble on Ivanka to try and get the Trump-base and contrast a more female-friendly Dem nominee? Ugh

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The problem is, right now Senate is not going to remove Trump.  *Maybe* that changes with more evidence and public opinion turning.  (In fact, Trump's strategy to withhold evidence demanding a full impeachment vote now is to ram it through to the Senate knowing they want to get it over with and will acquit him).  But if they impeach Pence as well, there is no way under any circumstances that the Senate is elevating Pelosi to the White House.

I dont think if there was video of Trump and Pence gang raping someone, would they remove them both.  No matter what.  So the Dems might have to let Pence stand as an option for GOP Senators to remove Trump cause arguably Pence is even more alt right then Trump and far less of an idiot.  

Dems get Trump removed, let Pence be elevated.  The new VP would surely be mostly agreeable to both sides because, with an election looming, GOP Senators wont want a contentious confirmation process.  It would be interesting who Pence would choose so close to an election, presumably whomever he'd want as his running mate.  I wonder if he could wait to nominate a VP and take his chances (chances being, if anything happened to him, Pelosi becomes Pres.)  Then with a disgraced Trump and an implicated Pence running, the Dem nominee wins the White House and Pence can take his chances with a criminal investigation (as Trump will also).

Man...would Pence gamble on Ivanka to try and get the Trump-base and contrast a more female-friendly Dem nominee? Ugh

I don't see the Dems pushing it and no way Mitch allows a vote that the GOP might lose. Congress will impeach because Trump has done impeachable things on camera, it just won't get through the Senate. 

I also don't think the GOP cares if Trump and Pence rape someone. That behaviour doesn't seem to bother them.  

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I don't see the Dems pushing it and no way Mitch allows a vote that the GOP might lose. Congress will impeach because Trump has done impeachable things on camera, it just won't get through the Senate. 

I also don't think the GOP cares if Trump and Pence rape someone. That behaviour doesn't seem to bother them.  

I dont think Pelosi will call a House impeachment vote now just because Trump is withholding documents.  I think the House will simply use it as another charge (obstruction).  The Congress is a check on the President and this is their job.   Senate wont have a choice in the matter, if the House approves articles of impeachment, the President is impeached and the Senate *must* have a hearing.  They can't decline.

The Senate, in that case, is just the jury.  The House is the prosecutor and the Chief Justice is the Judge.  Mitch can't stonewall an impeachment trial.  And they will have to vote.  And I think the Dems are okay with losing, to have every Republican on record as supporting Trump's criminal acts (assuming public opinion continues to sway against Trump...you never know).  GOP is thinking back to Clinton's impeachment and how the public wasn't interested.  But very, very different circumstances.  In the case of Nixon, which is very similar to Trump, public turned on the President (it was a lot more bipartisan though).

Nixon said "If the President does it, it is not illegal.".  He was proven wrong.  Trump is doing the exact same thing.  Its remarkable.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I dont think Pelosi will call a House impeachment vote now just because Trump is withholding documents.  I think the House will simply use it as another charge (obstruction).  The Congress is a check on the President and this is their job.   Senate wont have a choice in the matter, if the House approves articles of impeachment, the President is impeached and the Senate *must* have a hearing.  They can't decline.

The Senate, in that case, is just the jury.  The House is the prosecutor and the Chief Justice is the Judge.  Mitch can't stonewall an impeachment trial.  And they will have to vote.  And I think the Dems are okay with losing, to have every Republican on record as supporting Trump's criminal acts (assuming public opinion continues to sway against Trump...you never know).  GOP is thinking back to Clinton's impeachment and how the public wasn't interested.  But very, very different circumstances.  In the case of Nixon, which is very similar to Trump, public turned on the President (it was a lot more bipartisan though).

Nixon said "If the President does it, it is not illegal.".  He was proven wrong.  Trump is doing the exact same thing.  Its remarkable.

He can be impeached for multiple things and at multiple times. I wouldn't put it passed them to have Trump impeached on a half dozen things. 

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

He can be impeached for multiple things and at multiple times. I wouldn't put it passed them to have Trump impeached on a half dozen things. 

I agree.  I think they will eventually have numerous articles of impeachment.  He will certainly be impeached.  And then the Senate can decide if they are serving the nation or serving their master.

A U.S. passport screening official held a Defense One journalist’s passport until he received an affirmative answer to this repeated question: “You write propaganda, right?” 

The incident took place about 4 p.m. on Thursday at Dulles International Airport.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2019/10/us-customs-officer-harasses-defense-one-journalist-dulles/160380/?oref=d-river

and

https://digbysblog.blogspot.com/

Edited by Mark F

23 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He’s losing his mind. 

"I'm hearing"

and his sources are very reliable and impeccable.

hannity, rush, fox news, breitbart, Kim Jung un, Putin. Rudy Giuliani.

all the best sources.

He won't believe it when he's thrown out of the whitehouse, and he will have to be removed by force.

Edited by Mark F

47 minutes ago, Mark F said:

"I'm hearing"

and his sources are very reliable and impeccable.

hannity, rush, fox news, breitbart, Kim Jung un, Putin. Rudy Giuliani.

all the best sources.

He won't believe it when he's thrown out of the whitehouse, and he will have to be removed by force.

He won't need to be. This is a guy who's declared bankruptcy many times. He'll walk out, in the middle of the night, and take the toilet paper with him. He's a successful grifter, so he'll know when to slip out.