US Politics

Rich

the latest from the marvelous @jaredlholt at @CJR: a study purporting to link "antifa" to a number of journalists who cover the far right landed in a half-dozen conservative publications, even though the "researcher" was an established far-right troll: https://t.co/p263Yc818w

— Sam Thielman (@samthielman) June 12, 2019

Listening on the radio today, on comes O'Reilly. said Iran wants to start a war with the USA. and Other inflammatory, just plain wrong factually things.

He'll sit on his ass in his radio studio, cashing in while people die for less than nothing.

I've had enough of them for a while.

Edited by Mark F

20 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Wow... That was awesome. The really uncomfortable pause... I wasn't sure if that was my internet connection buffering out... or some one had manipulated or doctored that clip... took a few looks at that... too funny.

I love how Tapper was just waiting until Ted was done giving himself sooo much role..  and then Tapper just matter-of-factly tightens that noose. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Guess who has a plan for that?

She's so much awesome.

I remember the first time I read about about private prisons... I was shocked. The more I researched the topic the more angry about that whole prision industrial complex. its nuts.

Remember all the talk about "super prisons" 10 years ago?   That was Harper's attempt to bring the private prison industry to Canada, other than one brief experiment in Ont. which failed, thankfully the idea never caught on.

Interesting Article on Hannity and Manafort...

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/21/paul-manafort-hannity-mueller-report-1376701

As news broke of the FBI raid on Manafort's home, for example, Hannity wrote, “Please know you are in my prayers.” Manafort quickly replied, “Thank you. I need them. I feel so violated.”

Later in the day, Hannity wrote Manafort he was upset that “there are so many obvious crimes that are NOT being investigated” and added at the end of his message, “If you just ever want to talk, grab dinner, vent, strategize -whatever, I am here. I know this is very hard. Stand tall and strong.”

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Concentration Camps is the accurate term.

The administration actually told the 9th Circuit Court of Appealsthe other day that it is under no obligation to provide refugee children with soap, toothbrushes or anywhere to sleep but cold cement floors in overcrowded cages. They’ve already cut off funding for education, counseling and recreation.

The argument that our government’s failings don’t matter because the migrants have broken the law is legally and morally bankrupt.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Yet the story of how it happened, by Trump’s own account, is chilling. There seem to be three possibilities. One is that Trump was railroaded by advisers who are reportedly far more hawkish on Iran than he is, and only at the last minute realized what was happening, in which case he’s being ill-served by his aides. A second is that Trump was given other, more proportionate options, and estimates of the casualties each would produce, and only stopped to consider these questions as the planes were in the air—not the sign of the sort of careful, measured decision making one wants in national-security decisions.

A third is that Trump knew exactly what he was doing and it was all a big performance. That possibility is perhaps most supported by Trump’s own account and by his past history of using the military as a prop. That’s also what a source told Maggie Haberman:

I don't think it serves the USA populace to run the military like a reality tv show in search of ratings. Or a self created problem where trump comes in to save the day, to look like the hero he desperately wants people to see him as... malignant narcissist? 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I don't think it serves the USA populace to run the military like a reality tv show in search of ratings. Or a self created problem where trump comes in to save the day, to look like the hero he desperately wants people to see him as... malignant narcissist? 

He wants the people of America to praise him, fawn all over him, be indebted to him, like the circle jerks he conducts every couple of months with people who are in his administration.

3 hours ago, bustamente said:

He wants the people of America to praise him, fawn all over him, be indebted to him, like the circle jerks he conducts every couple of months with people who are in his administration.

Out of the three scenarios listed... sadly I think it is the one you are talking about... that is ******* crazy.

WASHINGTON, DC — Sen. Elizabeth Warren leads a new MoveOn straw poll with the support of 38% of members nationwide, followed by Bernie Sanders with 17%. Warren is also in first place among MoveOn members statewide in the early voting states of Iowa (37%), New Hampshire (38%), Nevada (36%), South Carolina (32%), and California (39%).

https://front.moveon.org/elizabeth-warren-in-first-place-bernie-sanders-in-second-in-moveons-latest-member-straw-poll
/

Looks like Warren did well and Beto bombed.

Good.

I think Beto would have been a good replacement for Ted Cruz. I feel that he shouldn't be in the race for POTUS though... he has no concrete plans and seems to go on feelings. 

Good showing by Booker though. 

A Warren/Booker 2020 ticket would be pretty good and hit all the strategic boxes too.

I think we are watching the end of the American empire and the emergence of a neo-nazi mindset in both the current administration and far too many American citizens. Trump believes that he is above the law and can run the government and policies by fiat with the Congress and Senate serving as rubber stamps. The religious right believes that America was somehow established as a theocracy and a Christian one at that. To this end, they believe with some justification, that Trump will serve as a "useful idiot" to give fundamentalist "Christians" primacy in all government functions and policy. They are willing to overlook Trump's admitted sexual assaults, marital unfaithfulness, racism and support of white supremacists so long as he delivers the oppression to "non-Christians" according to their wishes. Several of the fundamentalists have openly said that they believe democracy is incompatible with their brand of religion. Despite America's long history of the rule of law and constitutional democracy, there are those who would support a dictatorship as long as they are the ones who benefit. In Nazi Germany, there were Jews who supported Hitler, and British and Americans who were enthusiastic supporters of Hitler, and that dark underside of societies will always will be there.