US Politics

Rich

57 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Why no indictments? Because he said flat out in the report he was adhering to the DoJ memo on not indicting a sitting president. So he did what the proper procedure is in that situation, let Congress do the job they are supposed to do. He said "ok here is the evidence we have collected, as the over sight on the executive branch you guys decide what to do with it" 

The reason they aren't rushing for impeachment is because the GOP controlled Senate is going to do everything they can to shield a Republican president so they are taking their time and making sure all the details are in order. 

You can see it with how they are treating Barr refusing to show up for their investigation. Ask the guy to show up, give him plenty of chances, say you will escalate appropriately if no compliance. Be patient, you will see this play out. Trump campaign colluded with Russia, people are already in jail for it, Trump obstructed justice, he will be punished for it.

And then fairies and butterflies flew out of Pelosi's ass and all was right in the world again. 

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Im glad you at least linked a source that undermines your point.  I wasnt sure you had a sense of humor.  Im glad to see you do.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im glad you at least linked a source that undermines your point.  I wasnt sure you had a sense of humor.  Im glad to see you do.

The only difference was zero tolerance under trump, the point still stands, including the cages obama built for them. 

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

The only difference was zero tolerance under trump, the point still stands, including the cages obama built for them. 

Firstly, whataboutism is the only thing you guys have.

Secondly, if you dont understand the difference which is laid out well in the link you provided, no one here can convince you otherwise.

Thirdly, Ill try not to get myself in trouble, but you've revealed your character on this and if you think what Trump has done with children (not to mention every other thing) isnt awful, you're a lost cause.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Firstly, whataboutism is the only thing you guys have.

Secondly, if you dont understand the difference which is laid out well in the link you provided, no one here can convince you otherwise.

Thirdly, Ill try not to get myself in trouble, but you've revealed your character on this and if you think what Trump has done with children (not to mention every other thing) isnt awful, you're a lost cause.

Like most on here, you are hypocritical of anything trump does and be dammed who did what before him, before calling others a lost cause you might want to reflect inward on that for a moment. 

3 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Like most on here, you are hypocritical of anything trump does and be dammed who did what before him, before calling others a lost cause you might want to reflect inward on that for a moment. 

By all means, back that statement up.  Because 1) you dont know me   2) you cant cite anything Ive posted to damn me either.  

Thirdly, I dont think that word means what you think it does.  haha

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Your cynicism is well placed.  Now let's hear what the defenders have to say.

I am not sure who could defend these practices, but I do want to point out that this was also going on under Obama, and for some reason, no one in the press seemed very interested in reporting on it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/migrant-children-in-cages-2014-photos-explained-2018-5

It's clear, Trump has no morals, no standards of any kind, nor do his supporters.

This explains why they have to refer to somebody else's standards.

Obama did it, Hilary did it.

Must be ok then. If you're a Trump supporter.

It's been a short, strange trip with Donald Trump.

Edited by Mark F

20 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I am not sure who could defend these practices, but I do want to point out that this was also going on under Obama, and for some reason, no one in the press seemed very interested in reporting on it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/migrant-children-in-cages-2014-photos-explained-2018-5

Did you read the link you posted? The answer to your question is there. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

10 minutes ago, Mark F said:

It's clear, Trump has no morals, no standards of any kind, nor do his supporters.

This is actually the opposite of what I just said.  

52 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I believe the “but so and so did it” is a successful Defence.   Many criminals argue that in court.  Hey that guy killed someone too so why can’t I?  

Also used by many children when caught by parents.  

Seems appropriate for trump and his supporters.  

Edited by The Unknown Poster

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I believe the “but so and so did it” is a successful Defence.   Many criminals argue that in court.  Hey that guy killed someone too so why can’t I?  

Also used by many children when caught by parents.  

Seems appropriate for trump and his supporters.  

So Ilhan Omar is a Trump supporter now?

https://www.newsweek.com/ilhan-omar-barack-obama-cages-drones-1356997

13 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

That mayor was crazy crooked.

Also- did you find out the answer to you question about the caged children under Obama? It was in the article you linked. 

It looks like Obama did it also, but only in certain situations.  Is that an accurate assessment?  Also, I lost all respect for Jon Favreau, but then I saw that it wasn't the guy from Iron Man.

10 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So Ilhan Omar is a Trump supporter now?

https://www.newsweek.com/ilhan-omar-barack-obama-cages-drones-1356997

It looks like Obama did it also, but only in certain situations.  Is that an accurate assessment?  Also, I lost all respect for Jon Favreau, but then I saw that it wasn't the guy from Iron Man.

She's not wrong about drone murders- she's pretty spot on with that one. She is technically correct about the "caging of children" but it's misplaced. The difference being the issue of child separation. In Obama's case the children came to the border unaccompanied in huge numbers thus running out of room to shelter them and that sheltering is required by law:

"In 2014, we saw an enormous spike compared to what usually happens every year, in the number of kids crossing alone into the United States," she said. "And we didn't have enough shelter facilities, because we had a huge increase, so kids ended up piling up in Border Patrol lock-ups, which are no places for children."

What the Obama administration did, which is what the law requires, is to find shelter facilities for those kids, which were put together by the Department of Health and Human Services. So the goal was to get kids out of the Border Patrol, into proper care by HHS, and then HHS is supposed to release them to the least restrictive setting, and in more than 80% of the cases, that was their parents who were already in the United States."

So the take away that both POTUS' caged kids is technically correct, so the issue that should be addressed is Family Separation as a cruel deterrent, 

"Though the photos are nearly identical to those from 2014, there is one key difference between them: the 2014 photos showed only children who arrived at the border unaccompanied. The 2018 photos also show families that have been separated from one another."

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

good article about barr etc.

Despite the fact that Republicans tried hard to help him control the committee, Barr came across as a dissembling, waffling sleaze  who has sold out his reputation for integrity and independence to shill for a grifter who betrayed his country. This had less to do with the Democrats' mastery of asking questions and more to do with the impossibility of Barr's task, which is orchestrate a cover-up for Trump, a man who oozes the concept of guilt from every sunlamp-baked pore.

Barr is scared. He should, because Democrats do not seem to be messing around. In private caucus, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi reportedly told her colleagues that they saw Barr "commit a crime" by lying about the nature of his communications with Mueller — a lie that was exposed by Tuesday's leak and which became the focal point of Wednesday's hearing.

Barr has put himself in an untenable position, in between risking perjury charges for lying to Congress or risking contempt citations for not showing up at all. For now, he's betting that the latter path is the less risky one.

https://www.salon.com/2019/05/02/bill-barr-runs-from-house-judiciary-hearing-will-democrats-let-him-hide/

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Stupid. 

Respectfully disagree.  When you have politicians with documented histories of grift and tax evasion who ignore established (40+ years) norms to avoid scrutiny, any measure to formalize the norms is a good one.  California is not the only state to consider this.  As the Senate is too partisan to do this federally, the responsibility rests with the states.  I'd like to see state legislation in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida (the swing states) to see real impact as Trump (or the Republican nominees that follow him) aren't going to get any electoral votes in California anyway.